Author Topic: Does anyone paddle on Charles? Semi-looking for a company  (Read 8572 times)

oceanAddict

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Does anyone paddle on Charles? Semi-looking for a company
« on: August 07, 2018, 12:38:56 PM »
Hi,

As I was driving Storrow Drive past Sunday,   I've noticed a lot of ppl were jogging, cycling, etc ... kayaking ...  I wondered "would it be cool to paddle Charles river, from let say,  Mt Auburn hospital to Museum of Science, or something like that.. To my surprise, I didn't see many stand up paddlers on the water.

Anyone up to a stroll at some point?

On another hand, wondering if anyone organizes something similar in the area. I mean besides the surfing 
Infinity Blackfish, SIC Bullet Air Glide, Sunova Point Break #003, Sunova Soul

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
Re: Does anyone paddle on Charles? Semi-looking for a company
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2018, 08:12:19 PM »
Unlikely that i'll be able to get up there and join you anytime soon but it's a beautiful and interesting place to paddle. Pono and I grew up in Allston. I played all along that stretch of water as a kid from way upriver to the museum though mostly around Artisani park which is great place to launch and paddle from BTW. Massive improvements in the river since our days. We used to have to paddle uphill both ways....:) I've raced the Run of the Charles a couple times more recently...my 1st and only (and undeserved at that) 1st place finish in a SUP race... :P. https://www.crwa.org/run-of-the-charles

Even more recent. See the pics. We also used to run the Challenge on the Charles from Community Boating down at the esplanade. You can paddle the whole way or any segment of the river pretty easily. Lots of places to launch and land of course. Be aware you can sometimes get a significant west wind (like stop you dead in your tracks) that gets funneled between memorial and storrow drive once you get past BU. It can be just breezy where it meanders with no problems going upwind but the basin can get enough for whitecaps and make it a one way trip. Good for a downbreezer for pretty much the whole route though if you get someone to go and can arrange cars.

You'll likely find more folks upriver near one of the CRCK locations and they do tours and such all along the river and even the harbor I believe. https://paddleboston.com/

Maybe someday I'll get up there...have fun.

« Last Edit: August 07, 2018, 08:55:16 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

oceanAddict

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2018, 08:10:45 AM »
Bob, Thank you for sharing this info! Now def wanna try this, have to figure out logistics. I might start with segments as I've never done distance paddling on rivers. If I'm going on my own (meaning up/down with same spot  start/finish/ parking ) would you suggest going upstream first, then come back? or the opposite? are there any places to avoid?

Thank you

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2018, 09:24:49 AM »
You'll want to talk to the folks that paddle it frequently but I don't think it really matter upstream or down. You'll want a good map of the river. There are some dams to be aware of (and stay away from) that you'll need to portage around. The area around Artisani park is good for launching but it's easy wherever you can park a car. If you plan to wear a leash make sure use it on a belt not your ankle or calf. Even a small current can keep you from reaching it if you get snagged....folks have drowned wearing leg leashes on rivers in seemingly safe conditions.

Paddle Boston has a map of Nahanton park in Newton...good safe place to start. Have fun, take some pics.
https://paddleboston.com/rentals/our-locations/nahanton-park-newton/paddling-map/
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

oceanAddict

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2018, 01:04:15 PM »
Thanks again, for suggestions. esp about a leash.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal