Author Topic: Can I get some advice?  (Read 21518 times)

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
Re: Can I get some advice?
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2018, 12:04:09 PM »
Good change up...you definitely lowered your planing threshold a bit...and, if you are getting the 2018 model, the deep Tuttle box is reinforced and foil ready...which lowers it even more...plus, the OEM fin l@@ks mo bettah...unless, you have weeds to contend with...
Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

iDownwind

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2018, 06:28:35 AM »
Well, I picked up my new equipment 2 weeks ago. Managed to get out in some pretty light breezes, not enough to get planning, but enough to get close. Might need to look into a 9.0 or 9.5 sail yet.

I also found a good deal on a Slingshot Fwind1 that needed some parts to make it complete, so I bought it. Yesterday I tried to install the Fwind1 on my Fanatic, using the deep Tuttle adapter that Slingshot provides. Besides the bolt holes in the board being too small in diameter,  the deep Tuttle adapter is 1/2" too short. It doesn't reach the bottom of the Tuttle box on the Fanatic.  I ordered longer M10 bolts for it, but I am wondering if that's normal or if there's a different adapter that I need?
SIC F14
SIC Bullet  V2 (A.S.S.)
SIC Recon 11.11
NSP Open Ocean 14'x28"

maxsonic

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2018, 06:53:12 AM »
Well, I picked up my new equipment 2 weeks ago. Managed to get out in some pretty light breezes, not enough to get planning, but enough to get close. Might need to look into a 9.0 or 9.5 sail yet.

I also found a good deal on a Slingshot Fwind1 that needed some parts to make it complete, so I bought it. Yesterday I tried to install the Fwind1 on my Fanatic, using the deep Tuttle adapter that Slingshot provides. Besides the bolt holes in the board being too small in diameter,  the deep Tuttle adapter is 1/2" too short. It doesn't reach the bottom of the Tuttle box on the Fanatic.  I ordered longer M10 bolts for it, but I am wondering if that's normal or if there's a different adapter that I need?

I covered the problem with Slingshot FWIND1 bolt hole diameters here: https://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topic,33747.0.html

I purchased the M10 to M6 Titanium Insert solution for their FWIND1 Foil Tuttle Adapter: http://www.slingshotsports.com/M6-Bolt-Adapter ...working ok for me so far.

Others have just oversized the holes in their board to accept the Slingshot's M10 bolt diameter

MAX

iDownwind

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2018, 07:05:04 AM »

I covered the problem with Slingshot FWIND1 bolt hole diameters here: https://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topic,33747.0.html

I purchased the M10 to M6 Titanium Insert solution for their FWIND1 Foil Tuttle Adapter: http://www.slingshotsports.com/M6-Bolt-Adapter ...working ok for me so far.

Others have just oversized the holes in their board to accept the Slingshot's M10 bolt diameter

MAX

Thanks MAX. Any thoughts on the issue of the deep Tuttle adapter not reaching the bottom of the box? I am opting for boring out the existing holes and using M10 x 100mm stainless steel bolts at this point.  I may have a machine shop make a shim for me, by cutting a piece of a sacrificial Slingshot mast off and boring the holes out so the M10 bolts slip right through and then thread into the actual mast. Good idea? Or do I just use it as is?
SIC F14
SIC Bullet  V2 (A.S.S.)
SIC Recon 11.11
NSP Open Ocean 14'x28"

maxsonic

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2018, 01:52:32 PM »

Thanks MAX. Any thoughts on the issue of the deep Tuttle adapter not reaching the bottom of the box? I am opting for boring out the existing holes and using M10 x 100mm stainless steel bolts at this point.  I may have a machine shop make a shim for me, by cutting a piece of a sacrificial Slingshot mast off and boring the holes out so the M10 bolts slip right through and then thread into the actual mast. Good idea? Or do I just use it as is?

Does the flange of the Slingshot Tuttle Mast Adapter fit flush to the bottom of the board? If the flange is flush and there is no slop of the adapter in the box, you should be good to go.  When you tighten the M6 or M10 screws the clamp up should make the fit even tighter.

If you plan to use the board without a foil, I would stick with the M6 bolts. Or, if you decide to drill up your board to M10, you still could possibly use your Fins with M6 bolts, with use of a shouldered bushing, I was looking at these as a possible solution:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/M6-X-M10-FLANGED-BEARING-BUSHING-BRONZE-OR-BRASS-13-9-MM-O-D-LOT-OF-5/252604481465

MAX

iDownwind

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2018, 04:35:23 PM »

Does the flange of the Slingshot Tuttle Mast Adapter fit flush to the bottom of the board? If the flange is flush and there is no slop of the adapter in the box, you should be good to go.  When you tighten the M6 or M10 screws the clamp up should make the fit even tighter.

If you plan to use the board without a foil, I would stick with the M6 bolts. Or, if you decide to drill up your board to M10, you still could possibly use your Fins with M6 bolts, with use of a shouldered bushing, I was looking at these as a possible solution:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/M6-X-M10-FLANGED-BEARING-BUSHING-BRONZE-OR-BRASS-13-9-MM-O-D-LOT-OF-5/252604481465

MAX

I plan to use the board both for foiling and windsurfing at this point. As tight as the stock fin fits, I can probably use the M6 screws without those bushings. I think I will get some larger stainless steel washers though.
SIC F14
SIC Bullet  V2 (A.S.S.)
SIC Recon 11.11
NSP Open Ocean 14'x28"

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal