Author Topic: Can I get some advice?  (Read 21506 times)

iDownwind

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Can I get some advice?
« on: July 29, 2018, 05:33:06 AM »
Good morning everyone. I used to windsurf a lot back in my teens and early twenties, but life changes and I got away from it. I am 49 now and have been fairly active doing SUP and downwinding for about 6 years now. Recently I've been considering getting back into windsurfing again.
I am 6'4" and about 225. I would like a set up to get out on days that it's too light to go downwind, or when the direction is not good for downwind. I have been blown away by the advances in equipment. Especially board volume and sail size. When I sailed, a 6.4 was considered BIG in my area. I sailed (and still have) a 9'2" Bruce Jones custom board and have TONS of memories of sailing it. But it took around 16 to 18 MPH to really get going. Fast forward to now... I spend a lot of time waiting for wind to go downwind, and don't really care for flat water.....
So... I am looking into getting a new rig this year. I am not sure of where to start because there are so many board and sail choices. I would like a foil ready board that will perform well in choppy conditions as well as an occasional foray into some smaller waves.
Any input or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!
SIC F14
SIC Bullet  V2 (A.S.S.)
SIC Recon 11.11
NSP Open Ocean 14'x28"

jrandy

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Can I get some advice?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2018, 05:42:13 AM »
Hello, did you see this thread with a similar theme?

https://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topic,31607.0.html
http://pushheretosavealife.com/
Be safe, have fun. -J

iDownwind

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2018, 05:55:36 AM »

Thank you for that link, I quickly skimmed over it, but I think that's more for a SUP that can be windsurfed too. I am looking for a dedicated windsurf set up. 😀
SIC F14
SIC Bullet  V2 (A.S.S.)
SIC Recon 11.11
NSP Open Ocean 14'x28"

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2018, 07:30:02 AM »
Where are you located? If you're anywhere near Hood River you could just head down to the far end of the Event Center where the foil sailors hang out and ask questions. Specifically, I'd be talking to Tony Lagosz at Slingshot. Mark Ribcoff doesn't post here anymore, but I'd also be talking with him. As for sails, that kind of depends on how you've treated your body. At 49 you may or may not have injury issues. Active guys our size tend to rip up our shoulders. With my junk shoulders I can't handle full mylar sails. I'm addicted to Maui Hotsails Superfreaks. If you do start foiling that's less of an issue since beginning foilers (like me) are best off with dinky sails. Meaning a 4.0 is huge.

I'm trying to sail my foilboard. I screwed up on the mast track placement so I need to fix that. People are having way to much fun without me. But every time I go to sail I remember why I quit (other than toasted shoulders): So much gear. After a few days of sailing, I go out on my sup and feel certain I'm forgetting something.

Don't discount sailing your SUP boards. That Recon would work very well. I haven't sailed mine, but it's basically a wider Ku Nalu/Starboard 12'2" which is the best SUP windsurfer I've found. Sticker shock at the cost of windsurfing gear might lead you to a second look, and SUP sailing doesn't take anything like the amount of wind a dedicated windsurfer demands. A used 4.5 and 5.5 sail and gear, a mast track in the middle of the board, and you're in biz.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2018, 07:37:07 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

iDownwind

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2018, 09:39:49 AM »
Where are you located? If you're anywhere near Hood River you could just head down to the far end of the Event Center where the foil sailors hang out and ask questions. Specifically, I'd be talking to Tony Lagosz at Slingshot. Mark Ribcoff doesn't post here anymore, but I'd also be talking with him. As for sails, that kind of depends on how you've treated your body. At 49 you may or may not have injury issues. Active guys our size tend to rip up our shoulders. With my junk shoulders I can't handle full mylar sails. I'm addicted to Maui Hotsails Superfreaks. If you do start foiling that's less of an issue since beginning foilers (like me) are best off with dinky sails. Meaning a 4.0 is huge.

I'm trying to sail my foilboard. I screwed up on the mast track placement so I need to fix that. People are having way to much fun without me. But every time I go to sail I remember why I quit (other than toasted shoulders): So much gear. After a few days of sailing, I go out on my sup and feel certain I'm forgetting something.

Don't discount sailing your SUP boards. That Recon would work very well. I haven't sailed mine, but it's basically a wider Ku Nalu/Starboard 12'2" which is the best SUP windsurfer I've found. Sticker shock at the cost of windsurfing gear might lead you to a second look, and SUP sailing doesn't take anything like the amount of wind a dedicated windsurfer demands. A used 4.5 and 5.5 sail and gear, a mast track in the middle of the board, and you're in biz.

Thank you Ponobill. I'm located in Michigan,  on the sunset side of the state. My body is intact yet. Knees and shoulders are good so far.
I am not really one to tamper with a board, and while my Recon may work well, I am looking more for a board with foot straps because that's what I was used too... especially if I decide to add a foil. I'm leaning towards a Starboard iSonic or Carve, or maybe the Naish Titan 150. I'd like to be out in 8-10 knots and planning if possible, and I hear that is no problem with the newer equipment.... but maybe I'm wrong.
SIC F14
SIC Bullet  V2 (A.S.S.)
SIC Recon 11.11
NSP Open Ocean 14'x28"

maxsonic

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2018, 06:32:26 PM »

Thank you for that link, I quickly skimmed over it, but I think that's more for a SUP that can be windsurfed too. I am looking for a dedicated windsurf set up. 😀

Recommend you give JimK a call at Extreme Windsurfing (https://www.extremewindsurfing.com ) or the good folks at Isthmus Sailboards (https://isthmussailboards.com), which is pretty close to you.  I've done business with both companies and gotten good board/sail advice and equipment.

MAX

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2018, 11:53:08 AM »
...snip...I am looking more for a board with foot straps because that's what I was used too... especially if I decide to add a foil. I'm leaning towards a Starboard iSonic or Carve, or maybe the Naish Titan 150. I'd like to be out in 8-10 knots and planning if possible, and I hear that is no problem with the newer equipment.... but maybe I'm wrong.

In medium to higher winds, I windsurf both the Starboard iSonic 115 and the Carve 121...as well as a heap of other windsurfers...both Starboard and Exocets...and, my own designs which I windSUP and windfoil on...etc...

https://youtu.be/fFB0kHSyD2Y

While the iSonic is a very fast slalom board...I easily get it over 30mph on the GPS when powered...it is definitely more technical to sail and is not as versatile as the Carve...if I'm in the waves, I have other more dedicated wave riding sailboards...but, the Carve could cross over in light winds in the bigger models at your size for your lake waves...

Lots of vid clips on my You Tube channel...

https://www.youtube.com/SUPsport

For windfoiling...you need to have enough volume to uphaul on...especially, in lighter wind which is a windfoil's sweet spot...which is why I love windfoiling on my Hammer and Mallet models...the good news is that you don't need as much sail to get going...easily 1m2-2m2 smaller than you would need to plane in pure windsurf mode...

I have a quiver of Hot Sails SuperFreaks and have used them a bunch for windfoiling...but, I don't recommend them...they are too luffable...which is great for surfsailing...but, you need decent wind to fill them out with those 3/4 battens...really on/off...which is not good when you are flying the foil...so, I have been using 5 batten wave sails...and, have even picked up a couple of new small sails that are more freeride oriented...a few windfoil sailmakers are even using cams in their windfoil sails to stabilize them more...

I have also started playing around with a dedicated windfoil board...the Exocet RF 81 (135 liters)...Exocet also has a model at 160 liters that would definitely get you going in 8-10 kts...

« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 12:33:48 PM by SUP Sports ® »
Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

iDownwind

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2018, 04:42:52 PM »

So, I went to Traverse City, Michigan for the weekend with my ancient equipment thinking I would give it a go if the wind came up, mind you I haven't been out in over 10 years. My current equipment includes a 9'2" Bruce Jones custom, an Ampro gray wave mast, Mistral adjustable boom and 2 Gaastra/Mistral sails (6.0 and 6.6). I rigged up as the wind began building and gave it a go... unfortunately my sail was so delaminated that it filled with water and made water starting next to impossible. The one time I got "up" the board basically sunk beneath me. So I swam to shore and packed it up. Shortly thereafter I found myself at Sailsport marine, with a receipt in my hand for some new stuff... i ordered an Exocet Nano 155, Aerotech AirX 7.7 sail, Chinook 60% carbon skinny mast, Chinook Pro1 boom. He also has the Exocet RF 81 and RF 91 foil windsurf boards too, but that may be for next year. For this year, I am hoping to get the Nano out and get a feel for windsurfing again.

So! I am 6'4" and about 225.... did I buy good stuff? Am I going to be able to get out in light (12 mph) breezes and enjoy it? Should I think about an aftermarket fin for better light wind tracking? Damn! I am excited about getting out!
SIC F14
SIC Bullet  V2 (A.S.S.)
SIC Recon 11.11
NSP Open Ocean 14'x28"

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2018, 08:40:14 AM »
The nano is kind of a beginner board If you could sail the BJ 9'2 back in the day You are gonna max out the Nano Plus at your size and 12mph wind the 7.7 Aerotech is going to be a bit small. So YES I'd get a higher performance early planning fin it will "help' the board But hey you got a starting point.

I'm a big guy and really understand what it takes to get BIG guys going (kinda my passion)

FYI As a ZONER I could save you a bunch of money on windsurfing, SUP & Foiling stuff
PM me if I can help

JimK
Extremewindsurfing

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2018, 02:19:42 PM »

...snippity... Shortly thereafter I found myself at Sailsport marine, with a receipt in my hand for some new stuff... i ordered an Exocet Nano 155, Aerotech AirX 7.7 sail, Chinook 60% carbon skinny mast, Chinook Pro1 boom. He also has the Exocet RF 81 and RF 91 foil windsurf boards too, but that may be for next year. For this year, I am hoping to get the Nano out and get a feel for windsurfing again.

So! I am 6'4" and about 225.... did I buy good stuff? Am I going to be able to get out in light (12 mph) breezes and enjoy it? Should I think about an aftermarket fin for better light wind tracking? Damn! I am excited about getting out!

Aloha iDownwind,
Good choice going into a knowledgeable brick & mortar store that has good gear in stock...we have a dozen Exocet windsurf boards in varying sizes from 74 liters up to this latest windFoil board at 135 liters...

I think that you done good for the money...it should get your WS jones going again...
If you are efficient, you should be able to get that flying in 12mph breezes, if that is the average and not just gusts...but, you will have to pump the sail and board while bearing off downwind...rinse...repeat...

Assuming that you bought the non-daggerboard version on the Nano 155...one thing that could help you is replacing the cheapo plastic fin...because, it's gonna flex and not give you the lateral resistance that you are gonna need for earlier planing...

I am a long time fin designer...and, designed a number of G-10 fins with very wide bases that you can really pump against and push off of...G-10 is stiffer and extremely durable...

My biggest fin...the 14.5" BIGASS fin in G-10 with Powerbox...would work great on that board...
There is a pic below comparing it to my 12" FreeWeed...which has a ginormous amount of surface area...265# guys sail it with a 9.0m2...my 10" version can go up to 8.0m2 sails...

https://supsports.com/sup-fins

https://blog.surfingsports.com/2016/08/g-10-windsurf-fins.html

My wifey loved her big Kona with a 7.2m2 or 7.5m2 in light air...
« Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 02:39:13 PM by SUP Sports ® »

WARDOG ®

(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

FloridaWindSUP

• Sunset Status
  • Marine Biologist, Riviera Paddlesurf Ambassador
    • View Profile
    • James' Blog
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2018, 07:24:11 PM »
Hi iDownwind,

The stuff you got (155 liter shortboard, and 7.7 msq sail) will be good for you in strong winds, but not in light winds. At your weight you'll need about 20 mph to get it planing nicely, and the short 155 liter board will be kind of like a bathtub until it starts planing.

http://jimbodouglass.blogspot.com/2010/11/updated-windsurf-calculator-online.html

In less than 20 mph you'll have more fun mounting the 7.7 to your F14.

Enjoy!

-James
14x23 Riviera RP
14x27.25 Fanatic Falcon
11'8 Exocet WindSUP
10'4 Angulo WindSUP
...and a bunch of windsurf stuff

iDownwind

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2018, 06:12:03 AM »

Thank you for the fin insights. I plan to eventually change out the fin, and will keep you in mind.

...snippity... Shortly thereafter I found myself at Sailsport marine, with a receipt in my hand for some new stuff... i ordered an Exocet Nano 155, Aerotech AirX 7.7 sail, Chinook 60% carbon skinny mast, Chinook Pro1 boom. He also has the Exocet RF 81 and RF 91 foil windsurf boards too, but that may be for next year. For this year, I am hoping to get the Nano out and get a feel for windsurfing again.

Aloha iDownwind,
Good choice going into a knowledgeable brick & mortar store that has good gear in stock...we have a dozen Exocet windsurf boards in varying sizes from 74 liters up to this latest windFoil board at 135 liters...

I think that you done good for the money...it should get your WS jones going again...
If you are efficient, you should be able to get that flying in 12mph breezes, if that is the average and not just gusts...but, you will have to pump the sail and board while bearing off downwind...rinse...repeat...

Assuming that you bought the non-daggerboard version on the Nano 155...one thing that could help you is replacing the cheapo plastic fin...because, it's gonna flex and not give you the lateral resistance that you are gonna need for earlier planing...

I am a long time fin designer...and, designed a number of G-10 fins with very wide bases that you can really pump against and push off of...G-10 is stiffer and extremely durable...

My biggest fin...the 14.5" BIGASS fin in G-10 with Powerbox...would work great on that board...
There is a pic below comparing it to my 12" FreeWeed...which has a ginormous amount of surface area...265# guys sail it with a 9.0m2...my 10" version can go up to 8.0m2 sails...

https://supsports.com/sup-fins

https://blog.surfingsports.com/2016/08/g-10-windsurf-fins.html

My wifey loved her big Kona with a 7.2m2 or 7.5m2 in light air...
SIC F14
SIC Bullet  V2 (A.S.S.)
SIC Recon 11.11
NSP Open Ocean 14'x28"

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2018, 04:14:27 PM »
"Thank you for the fin insights. I plan to eventually change out the fin, and will keep you in mind."

Aloha iDownwind,
It will make a huge difference and is the least expensive way to optimize the planing potential of your kit...

Like I said before...I think if you are efficient, light on your feet...keep board flat on the water...read the water and wind...etc...you should be able to get that board planing in 12mph breezes, if that is the average and not just gusts (10-15mph...12mph average)...but, you will have to pump the sail and board while bearing off downwind reading the water...rinse...repeat...etc...

I can get my 8'11" Hammer going in those conditions...I'm 200#...it's 148 liters...9.75" wave fin...and, I'm only using a very luffable...5.8m2 Hot SuperFreak wave sail with 3/4 battens...that spills power easily...your Aerotech 7.7m2 AirX is a quality free ride sail that holds power...loads more power than what I'm using in this vid clip...

Again, I think you did pretty good economizing your sail kit...I'm very familiar personally with the Aerotech sail line...been using and selling them for almost 20 years...in fact, I have a brand new 4.7m2 AirX and 5.8m2 Charge that I am windfoiling on my 8'5" Hammer and 7'6" Mallet with in very light breezes...

https://youtu.be/nfSJ18_1rDk

Happy sailing!

WARDOG ®

(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

maxsonic

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2018, 10:22:12 PM »

Again, I think you did pretty good economizing your sail kit...I'm very familiar personally with the Aerotech sail line...been using and selling them for almost 20 years...in fact, I have a brand new 4.7m2 AirX and 5.8m2 Charge that I am windfoiling on my 8'5" Hammer and 7'6" Mallet with in very light breezes...

Agree with Wardog here, my go to Sails have been Aerotech, along with Ezzy and Sailworks. My new Windfoil setup is a Exocet RF91 accompanied by an Aerotech Air 7.8, although I'm tempted by the Sailworks Flyer and the Ezzy Hydra. More tempting at this time, however, is upgrading the "H2 Gamma" 68cm wing that came with my Slingshot Hover Glide FWIND1 Foil Kit, with the newer Slingshot Infinity 84cm wing...over TWICE the surface area of the Gamma 68cm wing, just what I need for my XXL >250 lb airframe!

Great discussion on the iWindsurf Forum thread at http://www.iwindsurf.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=33554&sid=029019e2379e92be108be7102dc09b44 for those interested in the newest Slingshot foil wings.

MAX
« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 10:27:02 PM by maxsonic »

iDownwind

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2018, 08:31:00 PM »
Slight change of purchase plans. I am going to get a Fanatic Falcon light wind board instead of the Nano 155.
SIC F14
SIC Bullet  V2 (A.S.S.)
SIC Recon 11.11
NSP Open Ocean 14'x28"

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal