Stand Up Paddle > Wind Powered

Can I get some advice?

(1/5) > >>

iDownwind:
Good morning everyone. I used to windsurf a lot back in my teens and early twenties, but life changes and I got away from it. I am 49 now and have been fairly active doing SUP and downwinding for about 6 years now. Recently I've been considering getting back into windsurfing again.
I am 6'4" and about 225. I would like a set up to get out on days that it's too light to go downwind, or when the direction is not good for downwind. I have been blown away by the advances in equipment. Especially board volume and sail size. When I sailed, a 6.4 was considered BIG in my area. I sailed (and still have) a 9'2" Bruce Jones custom board and have TONS of memories of sailing it. But it took around 16 to 18 MPH to really get going. Fast forward to now... I spend a lot of time waiting for wind to go downwind, and don't really care for flat water.....
So... I am looking into getting a new rig this year. I am not sure of where to start because there are so many board and sail choices. I would like a foil ready board that will perform well in choppy conditions as well as an occasional foray into some smaller waves.
Any input or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

jrandy:
Hello, did you see this thread with a similar theme?

https://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topic,31607.0.html

iDownwind:

--- Quote from: jrandy on July 29, 2018, 05:42:13 AM ---Hello, did you see this thread with a similar theme?

https://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topic,31607.0.html

--- End quote ---

Thank you for that link, I quickly skimmed over it, but I think that's more for a SUP that can be windsurfed too. I am looking for a dedicated windsurf set up. 😀

PonoBill:
Where are you located? If you're anywhere near Hood River you could just head down to the far end of the Event Center where the foil sailors hang out and ask questions. Specifically, I'd be talking to Tony Lagosz at Slingshot. Mark Ribcoff doesn't post here anymore, but I'd also be talking with him. As for sails, that kind of depends on how you've treated your body. At 49 you may or may not have injury issues. Active guys our size tend to rip up our shoulders. With my junk shoulders I can't handle full mylar sails. I'm addicted to Maui Hotsails Superfreaks. If you do start foiling that's less of an issue since beginning foilers (like me) are best off with dinky sails. Meaning a 4.0 is huge.

I'm trying to sail my foilboard. I screwed up on the mast track placement so I need to fix that. People are having way to much fun without me. But every time I go to sail I remember why I quit (other than toasted shoulders): So much gear. After a few days of sailing, I go out on my sup and feel certain I'm forgetting something.

Don't discount sailing your SUP boards. That Recon would work very well. I haven't sailed mine, but it's basically a wider Ku Nalu/Starboard 12'2" which is the best SUP windsurfer I've found. Sticker shock at the cost of windsurfing gear might lead you to a second look, and SUP sailing doesn't take anything like the amount of wind a dedicated windsurfer demands. A used 4.5 and 5.5 sail and gear, a mast track in the middle of the board, and you're in biz.

iDownwind:

--- Quote from: PonoBill on July 29, 2018, 07:30:02 AM ---Where are you located? If you're anywhere near Hood River you could just head down to the far end of the Event Center where the foil sailors hang out and ask questions. Specifically, I'd be talking to Tony Lagosz at Slingshot. Mark Ribcoff doesn't post here anymore, but I'd also be talking with him. As for sails, that kind of depends on how you've treated your body. At 49 you may or may not have injury issues. Active guys our size tend to rip up our shoulders. With my junk shoulders I can't handle full mylar sails. I'm addicted to Maui Hotsails Superfreaks. If you do start foiling that's less of an issue since beginning foilers (like me) are best off with dinky sails. Meaning a 4.0 is huge.

I'm trying to sail my foilboard. I screwed up on the mast track placement so I need to fix that. People are having way to much fun without me. But every time I go to sail I remember why I quit (other than toasted shoulders): So much gear. After a few days of sailing, I go out on my sup and feel certain I'm forgetting something.

Don't discount sailing your SUP boards. That Recon would work very well. I haven't sailed mine, but it's basically a wider Ku Nalu/Starboard 12'2" which is the best SUP windsurfer I've found. Sticker shock at the cost of windsurfing gear might lead you to a second look, and SUP sailing doesn't take anything like the amount of wind a dedicated windsurfer demands. A used 4.5 and 5.5 sail and gear, a mast track in the middle of the board, and you're in biz.

--- End quote ---

Thank you Ponobill. I'm located in Michigan,  on the sunset side of the state. My body is intact yet. Knees and shoulders are good so far.
I am not really one to tamper with a board, and while my Recon may work well, I am looking more for a board with foot straps because that's what I was used too... especially if I decide to add a foil. I'm leaning towards a Starboard iSonic or Carve, or maybe the Naish Titan 150. I'd like to be out in 8-10 knots and planning if possible, and I hear that is no problem with the newer equipment.... but maybe I'm wrong.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version