Author Topic: Mast track placement  (Read 11704 times)

rhorton1

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Mast track placement
« on: July 28, 2018, 09:49:08 PM »
I’ve got a question for all the expert Zoners who happen to windsurf out there. I’m on track to getting myself back under 200lb and am thinking that I could get some good windSUP usage out of my 9’5” Hammer SUP. I’ve windSUP’d my Exocet 11’8” and had a great time in little waves, but it’s a little heavy and slow to turn around.

What distance from the tail of the board is a good place to set the mast track if modifying the board? I have a couple of windsurf boards to compare placement to, but I’m thinking the track placement may be a bit different on a SUP as compared to a dedicated windsurfer? Is mast box placement based on distance from the fin?

It’s such a nice board I don’t want to muck it up. I’m confident in my epoxy skills, but I can install the perfect mast track and still have a dog of a windSUP if the placement is off.

jrandy

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Mast track placement
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2018, 05:46:03 AM »
Hello RH,
Did you ask Warren (the guy from SUPS) about this?
-J
http://pushheretosavealife.com/
Be safe, have fun. -J

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2018, 07:52:51 AM »
Normally I'd pop right up and say "middle of the board" since that's what I've done before, but I did that with my foilboard, and it's very wrong. My starboard 12'2" sails very well, and it's smack dab in the middle, as are all the other SUPs I've converted, but yeah, ask Wardog. He'll know what works best for that board.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

rhorton1

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2018, 10:04:16 AM »
Thanks for the tips. I sent a private message to the Man himself.

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2018, 11:14:45 AM »
Aloha Ross,
You're going to love your Hammer in windSUP mode...so fun and fast...SUPer turny...

https://blog.surfingsports.com/2015/04/hammer-windsup-2.html

I didn't really care for the Exocet 11'8" in windSUP mode...but, did love our original 11'11" "Big Red" windSUP...
I also rode the Exocet 10'5" Kona and Exocet Mini-tanker...and, preferred the Mini-tanker...

By a long shot, the Hammer is my favorite windSUP and it rips as a SUP and is SUPer fun with a foil...

Like I told you in that note, when you sink the PVC foam block for your mast track you want to be outside the reinforcements for your handle so that you don't compromise the structural integrity around it...no worries...there's enough adjustability in the Mast track that you'll be able to find your sweet spot for sail size and conditions...
Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

rhorton1

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2018, 03:41:42 PM »
Thank you Wardog for the sound advice. I finished the install this week over a few evenings. I used 4lb pour foam around the mast track area at least 1" wider than the mast track outline on each side. I routed out a slot for the mast track just a hair too small for it to fit in, and exactly as deep as the mast track. I slathered the mast track in epoxy & microbaloons and then painted slot in the foam with epoxy as well. A tight fit and a lot of epoxy squeezed out, but I'm confident every square inch of that mast track is glued tight to the pour foam. Sanded flush, prepped the deck by sanding with 120 grit, covered with 2 layers of carbon, and then patched the deck pad back on.

When cutting into the board, it looks like its a glass, bamboo veneer, carbon construction on the deck. I was impressed.

Haven't been able to get on the water with it yet, but I'm looking forward to it! The board is ready to go... just need a little bit of wind.

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2018, 04:16:58 PM »
Aloha Ross,
No worries...l@@ks like you did a great job retrofitting the track...let me know how it works...happy sailing!
Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal