Author Topic: Larger fins on Quad  (Read 6121 times)

supnsurf

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Larger fins on Quad
« on: July 27, 2018, 05:21:24 PM »
Hi Gang, Im new and love the info and advise here. You folks are a wealth on knowledge and it is awesome ! Anyway I got a Rawson quad SUP and its a little tippier then I would like. Is there anyway to make it more stable like possibly some larger side fins or larger back fins or both ?  Thanks so much for the help .
Rawson 8'8" Impala

L41 8'8"

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
Re: Larger fins on Quad
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2018, 09:21:36 PM »
Just an observation on my part.

It would help if you would provide a lot more information besides, "its a little tippier than I would like".

What is the Rawson's specifications as to length, width, thickness and liters of volume?

What length fins are used with it now?

Since the sup has a quad setup, are you using four fins now?

What is your height and weight?

Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2018, 12:27:30 AM »
At 8-4x30 &120l these come only as quads. Although by far from an expert fin guy I don’t think you’ll gain any paddling stability by a fin size increase. From small to large quads it ain’t so much.
This is a bit of a sinker for my 207# but it has another kind stability you’ve got to learn, be patient and more surfs.

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2018, 07:11:04 AM »
I agree, fins aren't going to affect stability unless they were outrageously huge which they don't even make and it would surf awful.

The only advice is to just keep trying to paddle it as often as possible. That can reach a dead end though for some people. I had an 8'4 x 29" that I tried and tried to master for over a year and finally sold it because it was only stable in the cleanest of conditions.

« Last Edit: July 28, 2018, 07:17:56 AM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2018, 09:26:55 AM »
At 8-4x30 &120l these come only as quads. Although by far from an expert fin guy I don’t think you’ll gain any paddling stability by a fin size increase. From small to large quads it ain’t so much.
Agreed, a fin swap isn't going to give you any additional stability...at least not any that you'll notice or feel.

It's all about finding where/how the volume is distributed on the smaller boards, and moving yourself to position yourself on top of the largest portion of it. On my smaller boards (which I've since sold once I've found foiling - 7'8"x30"x4.375" ~115ltrs & 8'5"x29"x4.25 ~108ltrs...I'm 205) I found that to be much further forward than I was usually used to standing on my somewhat larger boards...oftentimes in front of the handle.

This is a bit of a sinker for my 207# but it has another kind stability you’ve got to learn, be patient and more surfs.
Yep, this will be your key to success. Good luck, and keep working at it, you'll get it.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2018, 09:28:49 AM by SanoSlatchSup »
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

supsurf-tw

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2018, 11:39:21 AM »
Yes agreeing that fins aren't the issue. If you fight this board for too long and aren't enjoying it sell it and get something bigger
Boards:

8-10 x 31 Egg
8-11 X 32 Double wing Fangtail Tom Whitaker
8-6 X 30 1\2  Inbetweener Tom Whitaker
8-4 x 30 Hyper quad Tom Whitaker (wife's now)
8-4 X 31 1\4.  Round (wide) Diamond Tail Quad Tom Whitaker
 9-4 X 30 1\2. Swallow Stinger Quad Tom Whitaker (ex wifes now)
10-0 Brusurf for teach

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2018, 11:57:11 AM »
It's all about finding where/how the volume is distributed on the smaller boards, and moving yourself to position yourself on top of the largest portion of it. I found that to be much further forward than I was usually used to standing on my somewhat larger boards...oftentimes in front of the handle.

This is what I’ve found out, I’m more forward than on my bigger boards.

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2018, 02:26:22 PM »
Part II -

Today took another 7'6"x30"x 4.75" "mini Simmons" shape out for a test run (hoping to replace my Addison Retro I sold recently), and this one had monster keel fins on it (with wider, more more parallel rails) ...which made it almost impossible to turn, and made it nothing like my previous minSimms....and I can't say it made it any more stable than what I had previously that I rode with a much smaller quad setup with a little nubber between them I had on my other board. :-\

So in a nutshell, all I'm saying is that going with larger fins for some possible, marginal additional stability...sort of defeats the purpose going down to a smaller, or more agile surf SUP, as you're probably going to feel more of the lack of performance with the lager fins, than you will in the way of any added stability from them. Just another thought....  :)

« Last Edit: July 28, 2018, 02:28:53 PM by SanoSlatchSup »
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

supnsurf

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2018, 06:29:34 PM »
Thanks for all the input, I tried twin fin fins in front, AM twins, and it was actually really fun, still tippy but Im getting used to it, fun board for where I surf.  Thanks again
Rawson 8'8" Impala

L41 8'8"

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2018, 05:17:49 AM »
be dogged--i have moved down in size and volume over the years, and def enjoy smaller on the wave--what's interesting is that the only way i go down is to break my incumbent board---that forces me to hang in there with the tippier new---by the time the incumbent is repaired, it is no longer the goto--when my airborn went into repair, i was forced to make it work with the creek--airborn no mas (like when roberto duran gave in to the quicker lighter sugar ray)

dont sweat the fins--just keep getting on the board--youll be shocked after several sessions
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2018, 05:56:03 AM »
Stick with the fins and narrow your stance and/or duck your foot placement

jimK
Extreme Windsurfing

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2018, 06:27:38 AM »
^^What Jim said. When a board feels tippy the first thing people do is widen their stance, which feels natural--it's what we do on soild ground. But when you're standing on a surfboard a wider stance amplifies every wobble YOU make. Boards are never tippy--after you fall off them they don't tip at all. (That's an irritating but true thing Dave Kalama said to me).

Back in the early, early days of SUP Jimmy Lewis used to put a HUGE fin on his 11er board. That fin and board probably helped more struggling SUP surfers finally stand up long enough to catch something than any other combination--it did for me. But as soon as people got some confidence it was the first thing they changed. Big fins kind of suck the life out of a board.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2018, 08:35:30 AM »
Yes agreeing that fins aren't the issue. If you fight this board for too long and aren't enjoying it sell it and get something bigger

Best advice yet on the Zone. Why fight it if your board is too small or tippy?

Stand up should be fun, if you want or need that much performance on a wave, you're not going to get with a stand up board no matter how narrow or short.

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2018, 10:43:23 AM »
so long as youre here, jim---can you name a large thruster fin setup that fits the FCS (one?--ie two tab, affix with tiny hex nut) box, incl for the center rear?

i like the harley ingleby fcs fins a lot, but it isnt available in other than FCS 2, and my board is thruster only, FCS 1 only----the set comes in FCS 1, also, but only with the adjustable (not two tab) center fin.

but ihave not been able to find a fin with similar dims to the ingleby set, that fir FCS 1 boxes for the rear

the inglby's are big--fronts are 5.11" base, 5.35" depth---rear is 4.28" and 4.41" respectively.

if jim cant name such a fin, it likely cant be named--but help me out if you know.......
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

exiled

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2018, 11:48:06 AM »
so long as youre here, jim---can you name a large thruster fin setup that fits the FCS (one?--ie two tab, affix with tiny hex nut) box, incl for the center rear?

i like the harley ingleby fcs fins a lot, but it isnt available in other than FCS 2, and my board is thruster only, FCS 1 only----the set comes in FCS 1, also, but only with the adjustable (not two tab) center fin.

but ihave not been able to find a fin with similar dims to the ingleby set, that fir FCS 1 boxes for the rear

the inglby's are big--fronts are 5.11" base, 5.35" depth---rear is 4.28" and 4.41" respectively.

if jim cant name such a fin, it likely cant be named--but help me out if you know.......

Have you tried Shapers S9s? They are massive. The Harley Ingleby's did come as a standard thruster a few years back in the old red and black colorway. If you can find a store with some old stock that would be perfect.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal