Author Topic: Traveling with boards on car in intense heat  (Read 5343 times)

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Traveling with boards on car in intense heat
« on: July 25, 2018, 07:54:02 PM »
I'm only taking my two favorite boards to North Carolina; the Creek and the Starboard Element.  Because we are moving the dogs and don't want them on a plane, we are making an arduous, cross-country drive in the hottest part of the summer.

Both of my boards will ride on roof racks for 5 days.  My Creek has a vent, so I'm not too worried about it, but my older Starboard Element does not have a vent.  Both will be in bags.  Is the Element in danger of delams in those kinds of conditions?  Should I install a vent in it before I go? 

Sold the Edge and gave away the Jammer because the glass job was too crappy to sell.  (If Warren reads this he will probably go off on me again, sigh)  Selling the OK Nalu, look in the classifieds section if you are interested in it.  Keeping the Soul Compass (awesome board) in my mom's garage for when I come back to Cali to visit.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 08:53:37 PM by Zooport »
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Traveling with boards on car in intense heat
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2018, 08:45:28 PM »
Zoo! Don't you dare tell the truth about a board! No laminator ever makes a mistake don't you know that!! ;). My buddy had an awesome Walden longboard that was glassed with tissue paper, I swear lol. It happens.

You'll probably be fine, especially in a bag. I gotta think those sandwich Starboards can take a beating. Have fun on that trip. Most folks only get to cross the country once or twice in a lifetime.

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2018, 08:51:16 PM »
Thanks, cowboy.  I bought a new car for the trip and my wife and I have vowed to do our best to make a fun adventure out of it. 
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2018, 09:55:41 PM »
Don't underestimate the psychological comfort of having a board back in Cali, just waiting and available... you're bi-coastal  8)
RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

kayadogg

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2018, 05:09:27 AM »
Zoo, my wife and I made the move (driving) from SoCal back to RI in 2016 and also brought about 10 boards back with us. Most were inside the moving truck I was driving but a few were on the roof of my SUV that I was towing, not in bags. All made it back with no issues. I did try to park in shade whenever I could.

I think you'll be fine.  If anything, put the Creek on top of the Element so the Element isn't getting direct heat.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 05:11:30 AM by kayadogg »

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2018, 05:46:42 AM »
Bags make me nervous —insulation works both ways.  I'd probably place the bags on top and between to stop both the immediate IR and UV   ...movement of should guarantee you'd get nothing over ambient.

Focus more on the prospect of starting a tour of all the Carolina BBQ shacks.  Zoo, There are going to be some wonderful meals to sit down to.

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2018, 06:35:28 AM »
Leave the bag zipper open a couple of inches, like cracking a window when you park your car.

supthecreek

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2018, 08:52:23 AM »
It's anything but arduous.... it's a great opportunity to see this amazing country!
I have driven across many times with a 200 lb dog and enjoyed the hell out of it...even in a $60 car, with a leaky radiator. ;D

Pick a good route, not just the fastest.... maybe someplace you will never be near again.
Heck, your paying for it, why not meander a bit?

Boards on long trips:
I strap them down snug but not super tight and check the  straps... they can tighten/loosen with heat and cool.

If you tie them too tight in the heat and drive long period at high speed, it is possible to leave rail dents, especially if you use the locking straps with single steel cable. If you have the double cable straps and bags they should be fine.

I try not to leave my Creeks "fins up" in the hot sun for long periods, because large area of the dark bottom color.
The vents release pressure, but I figure it's never a good idea to super heat the EPS foam inside.

Have a blast... I'm stoked for you!

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2018, 04:47:07 PM »
Dusk, Kaya, Wetstuff, Rick and Tom,  thanks for the tips and the kind words. 
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile

kayadogg

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2018, 06:33:26 PM »
https://www.victorykoredry.com/collections/uv-board-covers

I use these on all of our raceboards. So much easier than bags and just as effective. I recommend contacting this guy though: https://m.facebook.com/supcover/

He was the original designer of the ones that Victory Koredry sells. I’ve had both kind, the Koredry ones basically disintegrated after a few years. Other ones are still going strong.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2018, 06:49:46 PM »
I think you'll be fine.  If anything, put the Creek on top of the Element so the Element isn't getting direct heat.

Depends on the Element. If it's a tuffskin they seem almost bulletproof. I'd use the Element to protect a Creek.... :). I have a 2008 that has seen lot of sun....doesn't look all that much different than when it was new. I also wouldn't bag them but the covers are good.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

OUTSIDEWAVE

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2018, 01:43:54 PM »
wind  should cool them somewhat  just park in the shade RoD TRIP ACROSS COUNTRY  Can i go?  heck that  would be an awesome journey  may hit a few lakes do a little paddling of fishing see some great  areas you won't likely be able to  again,   as they say Enjoy the ride!
SEA BIRDS THEY DO TOUCH AND GO AS THE WORLD JUST TANGOES BY.... SO I SADDLE UP MY SEAHORSE WITH MY FLYROD IN MY HAND.... 10'3 King custom  10'6"  c4 da beachboy

hbsteve

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2018, 02:47:53 PM »
When you estimate how much stuff you can carry in your vehicle, be careful.
It is easy to think you can cram more into a vehicle than you actually can.
Then the next morning you have to figure out how to do it again.

seadart

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2018, 04:12:36 PM »
I drove from Northern Utah to San Diego on Wednesday on I-15; It was 116 F from the Arizona border coming out of the Virgin River Canyon,  all the way to just outside of vegas where it cooled a bit, then 119 F, in Baker and hot as hell all the way to Barstow.  Lots of the warning sensors in my car started acting up.  Lots of cars off the road, lots of tires coming apart too.  If it is that hot I'm not sure how your boards will do.  I know companies do aircraft/missle composites out in the desert because of the good dry heat, but without a vent 119 I think is really hot for board with foam and wood layers. Going up to I-80 from the 101 may be worth it if you check the forecast for heat along the way.  You could hit Tahoe, Bear Lake, Flaming Gorge, Platte River, etc on the way east with your boards. I paddle my surf SUP on lakes in Utah to keep the arms and core in shape . Be prepared to be stopped for water craft inspection for invasive species when your boards are on the roof.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2018, 04:17:10 PM by seadart »

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
Today at 12:51:49 PM
post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
Today at 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard