Author Topic: Hala vs Red Paddle Voyager 13'2" vs 12'6"  (Read 16896 times)

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Hala vs Red Paddle Voyager 13'2" vs 12'6"
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2018, 04:25:11 PM »
At the handles is usually the best place to start and then move forward or rearward to trim to conditions, and/or load onboard.

+1. Good advice.

And Windwarrior, let us know how you make out.
Infinity Blackfish 12’ 6” x 23”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
Infinity Whiplash 12' 6" x 24 1/2"
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”
Bark Competitor 12’ 6” x 29”
Red Paddle Explorer (Inflatable) 13' 2" x 30
Starboard Airline (Inflatable) 12’ 6” x 27

10generation

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2018, 08:53:37 PM »
I've got two of the Red's 13'2", love em.  Super high quality, much better glide than many.  I inflate mine to 25psi and they hold it.

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2018, 08:39:33 AM »
I've got two of the Red's 13'2", love em.  Super high quality, much better glide than many.  I inflate mine to 25psi and they hold it.

Do you mind me asking why you inflate to 25 psi? I know Red says you can go that high, but I’ve never heard of anyone doing it. I inflate mine to 18 psi.

I should also mention that I only weigh 150 pounds, so maybe that’s the difference???
Infinity Blackfish 12’ 6” x 23”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
Infinity Whiplash 12' 6" x 24 1/2"
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”
Bark Competitor 12’ 6” x 29”
Red Paddle Explorer (Inflatable) 13' 2" x 30
Starboard Airline (Inflatable) 12’ 6” x 27

Windwarrior

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2018, 01:36:32 PM »
Soooo, took out the board for about 4hrs on Saturday and had a great time. The winds picked up to about 10-15 mph towards the end of the day so that was interesting for sure!!! LOL!! It was a bit tipsy at first so I just stayed on my knees for about 10mins to get my sea legs for this thing and then at first stand up, I was good to go.

I didn't have any gear on it other than a small bag for water and snacks for a first outing. I wasn't sure what to expect or how many times I'd end up in the drink so I kept it light. I did enjoy how fast it moved along the water. At first I was just enjoying the scenery but then I looked at the shoreline and realized I was actually moving pretty darn good and had that "whoa" moment.  Wish I had more time on it and probably will in the next couple of weeks.

I was impressed by the speed and was surprised how quick I got use to the width difference between my Hala and the Red. Apparently 4" isn't as bad as I thought it would be.
Hala Carbon Hoss
#2? TBD!!

Windwarrior

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2018, 01:49:26 PM »
At the handles is usually the best place to start and then move forward or rearward to trim to conditions, and/or load onboard.

+1. Good advice.

And Windwarrior, let us know how you make out.

Thanks for the advice. I didn't even get the responses before I went out so I winged it! I will say this, it seemed more tipsy the closer I got to the handles or forward of them so I stayed just behind them and was fine. I didn't really play around on the positioning or where to stand much but would like to if I get on one again before I decide to buy or not just for kicks.
Hala Carbon Hoss
#2? TBD!!

Windwarrior

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2018, 01:50:20 PM »

They are a fun board for sure!! I will say I had some issues during inflation. I wasn't sure if it was a pump issue, valve issue or loose nut behind the wheel. :o :P ;D

It seemed like the pump wouldn't go past 12psi. and I also noticed that the valve was kinda weird. Almost like it was broken in two??? Everytime I tried to push down on it so it would pop up like it does on the Hala I have it seemed to not pop up. Kinda wierd. I finally got it to seal so I could pump it up but only after 3 attempts using the electric pump from the Hala THEN trying to pop it up. After all that, I was able to use the hand help Red pump but it wasn't going to where I wanted it. I was afraid of popping this loaner board so I just made due with the 12psi without issues. Yes, I removed the plug for the pump to get higher psi but that didn't help.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 01:59:56 PM by Windwarrior »
Hala Carbon Hoss
#2? TBD!!

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2018, 08:15:32 AM »
You'll have a lot more fun if you pump it to 15 at least, better 18 ish. And you can go higher as noted above in this thread.

See with someone how to fiddle the little bits correctly. Easier done in person than by typing.

Green Water Sports

• Site Sponsor
  • Peahi Status
  • https://greenwatersports.com
    • View Profile
    • Green Water Sports - Inflatable SUP boards & stand up paddle boards & more
« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2018, 02:19:55 PM »
Always, always, go to at least 18PSI, more depending on your weight (load) and the conditions. 12psi to 18 psi doesn't seem like much but it makes a huge difference, even on flat water.
Julian
https://greenwatersports.com
Green Water Sports LLC - Inflatable SUP boards & stand up paddle boards & more. Call us on 1-888-252-4983
Red Paddle Co, Starboard, SIC Maui, Tahe, Naish, Fanatic, Accent Paddles, Onyx, FCS, Vamo

Windwarrior

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2018, 02:32:47 PM »
Always, always, go to at least 18PSI, more depending on your weight (load) and the conditions. 12psi to 18 psi doesn't seem like much but it makes a huge difference, even on flat water.

Believe me it wasn't my choice as I said above. Luckily there wasn't any flex with me on it. I'm baffled as to why I couldn't go higher on psi.
Hala Carbon Hoss
#2? TBD!!

deepmud

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2018, 08:02:54 PM »
Maybe it's the gauge. My Red Paddle Titan Pump won't hold pressure in the hose at all - it immediately bleeds off. I observe pressure as I put it in and observe psi as I apply steady pumping to see what it is up to - it has been that way since day one. If yours held "some" pressure it would look like that is all you got. I can put about 15 psi in with both cylinders operating, then I "shift gears" to the small one ( I wish it had a 3 speed - :D - two, big 'un THEN the little 'un) - maybe you had more than 12 in there?

if you really are stuck at 12...I dunno'. Maybe a bad Titan pump?

As for "vs"  - I'd trade my 14' Red Elite for a 13-14 "touring" type board I think - I like the speed but the lack of stablity? :(  And my 12'6" is just a little too slow....

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2018, 09:00:53 PM »
Maybe it's the gauge. My Red Paddle Titan Pump won't hold pressure in the hose at all - it immediately bleeds off. I observe pressure as I put it in and observe psi as I apply steady pumping to see what it is up to - it has been that way since day one. If yours held "some" pressure it would look like that is all you got. I can put about 15 psi in with both cylinders operating, then I "shift gears" to the small one ( I wish it had a 3 speed - :D - two, big 'un THEN the little 'un) - maybe you had more than 12 in there?

As for "vs"  - I'd trade my 14' Red Elite for a 13-14 "touring" type board I think - I like the speed but the lack of stablity? :(  And my 12'6" is just a little too slow....
Yeah. I find the current Red range frustrating. They don’t make a decent surf shape (they all have tails that are too wide, because they’ve concentrated on going short, I think, which doesn’t help when inflatables are tricky to get into waves on, anyway), and there is too big a gap in width between their touring boards and their race boards. Where is the bread-and-butter 14’x29” (or 30) board?

I like the Red brand. And I have 3 inflatable SUPs. But none of them are Red. They just aren’t making what I want.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2018, 10:09:26 PM »
It's been a long time since I inflated a SUP, but I remember my ULI would get to around 12 psi pretty easy. After that it was a lengthy and progressive grind to 19 or 20 psi. I got some serious blisters pumping for 20 minutes. It was like 3 minutes to 12 psi, then 15 minutes or more to 20 psi. Finally rigged an adapter to use my small compressor. Never used a manual pump again. 8)   
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

Green Water Sports

• Site Sponsor
  • Peahi Status
  • https://greenwatersports.com
    • View Profile
    • Green Water Sports - Inflatable SUP boards & stand up paddle boards & more
« Reply #42 on: August 15, 2018, 05:30:46 AM »
Maybe it's the gauge. My Red Paddle Titan Pump won't hold pressure in the hose at all - it immediately bleeds off. I observe pressure as I put it in and observe psi as I apply steady pumping to see what it is up to - it has been that way since day one.

When inflating Reds, you are supposed to have the board's valve closed, sprung plunger up or out position. The hoses supplied with Red pumps do not have the internal piece that depresses the plunger. The force of pumping opens the valve and pushes air in. The Titan pump is designed in such a way where it does not hold pressure in the hose. The back pressure disrupts the valve setup. So, you only get a true reading of the board's pressure when you are pushing down and forcing air into the board, which opens the valve and pressures the system, and moves the gauge. At rest the needle will move down and come to rest at a certain PSI, this is not the board's pressure.
Julian
https://greenwatersports.com
Green Water Sports LLC - Inflatable SUP boards & stand up paddle boards & more. Call us on 1-888-252-4983
Red Paddle Co, Starboard, SIC Maui, Tahe, Naish, Fanatic, Accent Paddles, Onyx, FCS, Vamo

Windwarrior

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 15, 2018, 07:58:06 AM »

I experienced the exact same thing so I wasn't really sure WHAT the psi was on the thing after all that. I didn't want to risk a blow out on a new loaner board either so I just stopped.
Hala Carbon Hoss
#2? TBD!!

Windwarrior

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 15, 2018, 07:59:10 AM »
Maybe it's the gauge. My Red Paddle Titan Pump won't hold pressure in the hose at all - it immediately bleeds off. I observe pressure as I put it in and observe psi as I apply steady pumping to see what it is up to - it has been that way since day one.

When inflating Reds, you are supposed to have the board's valve closed, sprung plunger up or out position. The hoses supplied with Red pumps do not have the internal piece that depresses the plunger. The force of pumping opens the valve and pushes air in. The Titan pump is designed in such a way where it does not hold pressure in the hose. The back pressure disrupts the valve setup. So, you only get a true reading of the board's pressure when you are pushing down and forcing air into the board, which opens the valve and pressures the system, and moves the gauge. At rest the needle will move down and come to rest at a certain PSI, this is not the board's pressure.

GREAT! Where were you LAST weekend!! LOL!!  :o :o :o ;D ;D ;D ;) ;)
Hala Carbon Hoss
#2? TBD!!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal