Author Topic: Hala vs Red Paddle Voyager 13'2" vs 12'6"  (Read 16894 times)

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Hala vs Red Paddle Voyager 13'2" vs 12'6"
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2018, 08:43:45 AM »
well, it's easy

the 13'2 is the board to get for simply enjoying a paddle around

the 13'2 is the board to get for better speed and glide

the 13'2 is the board to get if one day you wish to strap something on board

a 12'6 or shorter is the board to get if maneuvers or in/out of the surf is what you're doing. Just make sure it isn't an inflatable!

Hope that clears things up.

Windwarrior

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2018, 08:55:33 AM »
well, it's easy

the 13'2 is the board to get for simply enjoying a paddle around

the 13'2 is the board to get for better speed and glide

the 13'2 is the board to get if one day you wish to strap something on board

a 12'6 or shorter is the board to get if maneuvers or in/out of the surf is what you're doing. Just make sure it isn't an inflatable!

Hope that clears things up.

:o ;D :P :o ;D
Hala Carbon Hoss
#2? TBD!!

Windwarrior

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2018, 09:09:35 AM »
Windwarrior,

I had posted in the other thread you started on the same subject and you asked me to post here. As mentioned I have the 2017, 13’ 2” Red Explorer. I really like the Board, but in answer to your question I haven’t used it to pack a lot of gear on. I don’t go SUP camping and just don’t have the need to load it down. I’m sure it could handle larger loads, but I haven’t tried that.

I haven’t paddled the 12’ 6” Explorer (now Voyageur) but I have paddled the 12’6” Sport. Honestly didn’t care for that board. Just felt like a dog in the water to me. It’s been a year or so since I paddled it, so can’t remember all the particulars, but I remember I went in expecting to like the Sport, and was surprised during a test paddle that I really didn’t care for it. I then jumped in the 13’ 2” Explorer and really liked it. It’s not a racing machine, but for a touring inflatable is a very nice board to paddle.

I'm sure you would be happy with it, but as always I would test paddle if you can. I should also mention that I find the 13' 2" Explorer to be extremely stable. I've also had others try it and make the same comment.

I'm guessing the same thing. I'm going to contact a local rental shop to see about comparing the two. Since I already have a cruiser so to speak with the 11' Hala Hoss and a fun board at that. It's given me a chance to practice my paddle strokes, kick pad and just have a good time along with all sorts of insane water landings which I'm sure warrant at least a 7 for form and some solid 10's on laughter scales! LOL!
Hala Carbon Hoss
#2? TBD!!

Green Water Sports

• Site Sponsor
  • Peahi Status
  • https://greenwatersports.com
    • View Profile
    • Green Water Sports - Inflatable SUP boards & stand up paddle boards & more
Julian
https://greenwatersports.com
Green Water Sports LLC - Inflatable SUP boards & stand up paddle boards & more. Call us on 1-888-252-4983
Red Paddle Co, Starboard, SIC Maui, Tahe, Naish, Fanatic, Accent Paddles, Onyx, FCS, Vamo

Windwarrior

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2018, 10:00:22 AM »
My thoughts:

1) https://greenwatersports.com/6878/review-of-the-2016-red-paddle-co-12-6-sport-inflatable-paddle-board
2) https://greenwatersports.com/11171/review-of-the-2018-red-paddle-co-12-6-voyager-inflatable-paddle-board
4) https://greenwatersports.com/11689/review-of-the-2018-red-paddle-co-13-2-voyager-plus-inflatable-paddle-board

I'll read through all those. I'm looking through a boatload of YT vids too.  I'm hoping to find people actually using them to get feedback or an idea of pros and cons for each of them. It all helps!

Thanks!

SUPboarder have a great video comparing the Voyagers here: https://greenwatersports.com/11196/detailed-video-review-of-the-2018-red-paddle-co-voyager-boards

I looked at that one already and interesting enough, they're the ones that mad a mention of the stability or tracking of the 12'6" being better than the 13'2" when it came down to high wind conditions. I'm assuming due to the design difference between the two?? I'm guessing the bow of the 12'6" stands taller and out of the water better OR maybe the fins underneath?? Not sure which....
Hala Carbon Hoss
#2? TBD!!

Windwarrior

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2018, 11:27:53 AM »
My thoughts:

1) https://greenwatersports.com/6878/review-of-the-2016-red-paddle-co-12-6-sport-inflatable-paddle-board
2) https://greenwatersports.com/11171/review-of-the-2018-red-paddle-co-12-6-voyager-inflatable-paddle-board
4) https://greenwatersports.com/11689/review-of-the-2018-red-paddle-co-13-2-voyager-plus-inflatable-paddle-board

I'll read through all those. I'm looking through a boatload of YT vids too.  I'm hoping to find people actually using them to get feedback or an idea of pros and cons for each of them. It all helps!

Thanks!

SUPboarder have a great video comparing the Voyagers here: https://greenwatersports.com/11196/detailed-video-review-of-the-2018-red-paddle-co-voyager-boards

I looked at that one already and interesting enough, they're the ones that mad a mention of the stability or tracking of the 12'6" being better than the 13'2" when it came down to high wind conditions. I'm assuming due to the design difference between the two?? I'm guessing the bow of the 12'6" stands taller and out of the water better OR maybe the fins underneath?? Not sure which....

***MADE a mention....***
Hala Carbon Hoss
#2? TBD!!

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2018, 11:57:43 AM »

That was for sidewind.

Sidewind sucks. Also know that inflatables are particularly sucky in sidewind. With bags on top even more. Too much windage.

Yes, a longer board is more affected but we're talking 8" here.

In fact for a sidewind test; the way the bags are packed on deck will make most of the difference.

Sidewind sucks. Even after you've done tons of it. It's just one of those things you need to grind through.

If that is a criteria you consider then please think through if you expect a large amount of sidewind. If so don't take an iSUP. A classic   (surfy) long SUP is probably the least worse.

edit to add:
windwarrier, strong name for SUP

Windwarrior

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2018, 12:53:36 PM »

That was for sidewind.

Sidewind sucks. Also know that inflatables are particularly sucky in sidewind. With bags on top even more. Too much windage.

Yes, a longer board is more affected but we're talking 8" here.

In fact for a sidewind test; the way the bags are packed on deck will make most of the difference.

Sidewind sucks. Even after you've done tons of it. It's just one of those things you need to grind through.

If that is a criteria you consider then please think through if you expect a large amount of sidewind. If so don't take an iSUP. A classic   (surfy) long SUP is probably the least worse.

edit to add:
windwarrier, strong name for SUP

Side wind any wind is wind. Chuckle....
Yes, I'm sure the more gear on the board impacts that as well. I don't mind wind(which is plentiful at times being a mile high) , it makes for a great adventure AND workout. I just thought it was interesting that the 12'6" was a better tracking board in "wind." I would think with gear on top, depending on board design it would help with plaining out. No??

Edit to add: That's WindwarriOr not WindwarriEr. LOL! :P :o ;D
It was made from Kiting and everything revolving around it. Just seemed to fit for paddle boarding too!!
Hala Carbon Hoss
#2? TBD!!

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2018, 03:05:27 PM »
’Scuze, bitte, mein rotten englisch. How come das autocorrect has ze way of not working when you need it.

Wind is plentiful?

Hell! In that case we’re all steering you in the wrong direction. Your 11’ Hapa Boogy Horsey is fine. Put a bunch of sticky D rings on it and buy some bungee at the HW store. And get a real board for some real paddling. You’ll have far more pleasure going up and then downwind. If you got launch and arrival spots in line with wind get into downwinds.

You said a mile high? So I’m guessing cold water in spring. Same here. I kite too but in spring will not kite and rather Downwind. Whereas kiting you’d die in a 6/5 wetsuit if the wind died you’ll be fine doing a downwind in a 4/3 for days hwere air is less than 50F and a 3/2 for over 50F. If the wind dies it’s no big deal on a SUP, you can paddle anyway.

Again iSUP is doable for DW’s but frankly pretty sucky. A real board and an inflatable is a clever quiver. Two iSUPS is silly.

If you get regular windy days where you paddle please say if a real board would be out of the question?

Windwarrior

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2018, 03:21:01 PM »
’Scuze, bitte, mein rotten englisch. How come das autocorrect has ze way of not working when you need it.

Wind is plentiful?

Hell! In that case we’re all steering you in the wrong direction. Your 11’ Hapa Boogy Horsey is fine. Put a bunch of sticky D rings on it and buy some bungee at the HW store. And get a real board for some real paddling. You’ll have far more pleasure going up and then downwind. If you got launch and arrival spots in line with wind get into downwinds.

You said a mile high? So I’m guessing cold water in spring. Same here. I kite too but in spring will not kite and rather Downwind. Whereas kiting you’d die in a 6/5 wetsuit if the wind died you’ll be fine doing a downwind in a 4/3 for days hwere air is less than 50F and a 3/2 for over 50F. If the wind dies it’s no big deal on a SUP, you can paddle anyway.

Again iSUP is doable for DW’s but frankly pretty sucky. A real board and an inflatable is a clever quiver. Two iSUPS is silly.

If you get regular windy days where you paddle please say if a real board would be out of the question?

YOU are hysterical!! LOL! Damn auto correct is interesting for sure.

Soooo, here's the thing, when I say winds here, I mean winds that are ridiculous to be even outside in. Yes there's the occasional days where the wind is tolerable and usually get caught up in some when far from the take off point and having to paddle back into it without choice BUT there are also winds where it's just bat sh*t crazy kinda like last night. 70mph gusts etc.....  those winds are usually coming through when fronts are coming in.

As I said earlier though, I don't mind winds(within reason) and it usually is on days when I've been out for the day and far from the take off point. I'm more of a fair weathered guy. When the seasons change, I get into a different hobby such as mtn. biking,hiking and kiting. Water gets cold and I just don't go in the water anymore.

The reason for the camping interest for paddle boarding is on weekend excursions to lakes all across the state and some of them are large with large crossings to get to the camp spots so THAT"S why I'm concerned about winds because most of the times on the return, the winds are kicking up.

Hala Carbon Hoss
#2? TBD!!

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2018, 03:42:02 PM »
Got 5 words for you: The more wind the better.

As long as that’s downwind.

Your Hala is fine for camping. It sure is wide enough to pack a huge load on it. One day if you see a Red 13’2 on sale you can swap for your hala. Until then…

Get a downwind board. Then get out there for a downwind lined up just before the front. That's what we do. It’s addictive, especially if playing with wind is a hobby. You’ll soon be mixing Mtn biking or even skiing with SUP.

Trust me.

Windwarrior

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2018, 09:19:58 AM »
Got 5 words for you: The more wind the better.

As long as that’s downwind.

Your Hala is fine for camping. It sure is wide enough to pack a huge load on it. One day if you see a Red 13’2 on sale you can swap for your hala. Until then…

Get a downwind board. Then get out there for a downwind lined up just before the front. That's what we do. It’s addictive, especially if playing with wind is a hobby. You’ll soon be mixing Mtn biking or even skiing with SUP.

Trust me.

Ya must've missed the part where I mentioned  "I'm a fair weather kinda guy".......

Yes, you're right! My Hala Hoss IS a great board! I appreciate the heads up on the downwind but no, just no. Not my thing.

I'm going to look into the Red's for rentals and see what happens. I'll also look into the Hala Nass. Isup's are my thing because transporting is worlds easier for me. Easier to secure too.
Hala Carbon Hoss
#2? TBD!!

Windwarrior

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2018, 02:17:51 PM »
Looks like I'm going to a Red Paddle Demo Day in town!!! Both Saturday AND Sunday. Will post my experience after the weekend!
Hala Carbon Hoss
#2? TBD!!

Windwarrior

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2018, 10:28:20 AM »
Curious, where do people stand on the 13'2" Red??
I'm assuming at the straps but curious if farther back would affect performance or not. I'm going out this weekend on one and can't wait!!
Hala Carbon Hoss
#2? TBD!!

Green Water Sports

• Site Sponsor
  • Peahi Status
  • https://greenwatersports.com
    • View Profile
    • Green Water Sports - Inflatable SUP boards & stand up paddle boards & more
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2018, 03:01:48 PM »
At the handles is usually the best place to start and then move forward or rearward to trim to conditions, and/or load onboard.
Julian
https://greenwatersports.com
Green Water Sports LLC - Inflatable SUP boards & stand up paddle boards & more. Call us on 1-888-252-4983
Red Paddle Co, Starboard, SIC Maui, Tahe, Naish, Fanatic, Accent Paddles, Onyx, FCS, Vamo

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal