Author Topic: I'll never be kind to someone blocking my driveway again  (Read 10977 times)

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: I'll never be kind to someone blocking my driveway again
« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2018, 03:34:39 AM »

Thanks.  I've gone from hating the idea to being excited about it now.  Gonna miss my place, but not the neighborhood.

You will find assholes everywhere, and great people too. The world all over.

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2018, 05:23:39 AM »
duped and cant delete
« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 05:31:23 AM by eastbound »
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2018, 05:26:09 AM »
https://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/20120508/east-village/man-convicted-of-punching-woman-over-parking-spot

here's a heartwarming ny story--problem is that oscar, the perp, was a porter in my office bldg. he was about as good as it gets. super nice helpful kind. just a great guy. we got to know him well. helped him with advice on financing an rental apt bldg he bot in a very rough neighborhood etc etc. never heard an angry word from this guy.

he pulled up to a spot. a woman said she was saving it. that's illegal. oscar got out, he says, to explain. acc to him, she immediately got in his face, clawing at his face. he half-punched half-pushed her off such as anyone might do if attacked by anyone. she fell, hit her head and was severely injured. this is oscar's story.

now is there a version of oscar that differs from our experience over many years? maybe? but "woman brutally attacked injured in parking spot fight" sells a lot more papers than "woman attacks man after man attempted to park in spot he had rights to. woman falls after being pushed off man she attacked. woman seriously injured". and cy vance jr (manhattan demo DA who let harvey weinstein off before metoo! asnd now of course he all pontificating about weinstein!)) doesnt get many votes from the latter version either.

reality?? who knows?? but if it was as oscar says, he had a right to the parking spot, he had a right to attempt to explain to the woman that she had no right to the spot, and he had a right to push/punch off an angry clawing attacking woman.

takeaway (and one i need to remind myself of often): dont engage people where there is any chance of ugly confrontation---that's a tough act to swallow when someone's doing wrong, but it pays dividends.

oscar? he went to jail. if he was the problem in this, he got what he deserved. but it's easy to see that he may well have been railroaded---

and yeah parking in ny can get ugly---ive had friends say "wait? you mean you cant pull up to your home and park? why would you live there?" it's complicatexd.....
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

SaMoSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 25, 2018, 06:15:38 AM »
Get off my driveway!

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2018, 06:36:08 AM »
I grew up (mostly) in NYC and I didn't even own a car until I left. Cars are a major PITA. Dear God, you could spend days looking for a parking space!
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: July 25, 2018, 08:19:15 AM »
New York parking Seinfeld.  Love this episode.  It's almost like George meeting himself.

« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 08:23:23 AM by Zooport »
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2018, 10:07:34 AM »
I was legitimately unhappy with how a business near me was using its parking lot, and they declined to communicate reasonably.  So I'm having their parking lot removed.

supnsurf

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 30, 2018, 08:45:34 AM »
I had a guy park in my driveway once, I was nice did not have it towed. guy comes back ,we have a chat, the guy  says  "What you werent  using it anyway" ? no clue !  I went in and told my wife "I should of had it towed "  ::)
Rawson 8'8" Impala

L41 8'8"

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 30, 2018, 10:16:44 AM »
I had a guy park in my driveway once, I was nice did not have it towed. guy comes back ,we have a chat, the guy  says  "What you werent  using it anyway" ? no clue !  I went in and told my wife "I should of had it towed "  ::)
That reminds of the Seahawks in their early years in Seattle when parking was tight around the Kingdome during games.  So someone came up with a plan to open the Seahawks' end zone for parking because they never used it.

tautologies

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 30, 2018, 10:30:36 AM »

You did the right thing, and found out some people are assholes. Keep on doing the right thing and you will meet people that pay back in kind.

That said next time someone responds with I will move it when I have time, just reply and call the tow truck. Then if she comes to move it, you can just say "Not sure...I thought you had moved it. Someone must have called the tow truck. Too bad.".

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 30, 2018, 08:47:30 PM »
A lady was stopped across my shop entry gate this morning when I pulled up. I triggered the electric gate and pulled up next to her--no reaction. I tapped the horn and got one of those distracted/irritated yah, yah hand waves. So I got out of the truck and walked over to her window. I said "excuse me, you're blocking my entrance and I'm blocking the road waiting for you to move, I need to get past you. She looked up from her texting and says "yeah, sure, in a minute."

I stood there like an oaf, thinking if this was a guy I'd already be pulling him through the window. And then I thought "well, as long as he wasn't too scary looking". And I started laughing. She looked up at me with a startled expression and headed down the road.

There's a lesson in there somewhere. I just don't know what it was.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 30, 2018, 09:24:03 PM »
Well I guess she wasn’t texting and driving.

iopsailor

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 31, 2018, 06:13:07 AM »
The lesson is that when “please and thank you” and consideration for others don’t work, you have to follow the advice of that old joke “quick, show her your nuts!”

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: July 31, 2018, 06:28:29 AM »
Being kind to someone who is blatantly belligerent puts your kharma quite a few notches above them.
One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"
9'11" PSH Hull Ripper-145 ltr    
9'3" PSH  Hull Ripper- 130ltr 
8'0" Corevac Assassin -127 ltr   
Paddles- Carbonerro PRO SERIES 85 & Riviera Camo at 70"

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 31, 2018, 08:36:26 AM »
The lesson is that when “please and thank you” and consideration for others don’t work, you have to follow the advice of that old joke “quick, show her your nuts!”

I think (hope) you meant "show her you're nuts"  ;D
Infinity Blackfish 12’ 6” x 23”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
Infinity Whiplash 12' 6" x 24 1/2"
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”
Bark Competitor 12’ 6” x 29”
Red Paddle Explorer (Inflatable) 13' 2" x 30
Starboard Airline (Inflatable) 12’ 6” x 27

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal