Author Topic: I'll never be kind to someone blocking my driveway again  (Read 10912 times)

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
I'll never be kind to someone blocking my driveway again
« on: July 22, 2018, 04:27:06 PM »
I live about 300 yards from the ocean and beachgoers from everywhere cruise my neighborhood looking for parking spots in the summer.  They rarely find any because there is a car jammed into every available crevice.  A couple of weeks ago, I had a young lady park her car blocking my driveway so it was impossible to get a car out.  I was considering immediately calling the city to have her car towed away, but I knocked on doors all around my house to make sure it wasn't anyone visiting a neighbor.  Several neighbors came out to help and looked in the car with me.  We saw a piece of mail in her car that listed an address around the block.  Didn't want to have her car towed away, so I walked over there.

I found her and said in a friendly tone, "Hi, I'm your neighbor and I think your car is blocking my driveway.  I normally just have the cars towed away, but I'm glad I found you so I can have you move it instead.  So could you please move it so it doesn't block my driveway?"

If someone said that to you, wouldn't you say something like "Yikes!  Thanks for finding me"?  I know I would.

Her response: Hateful, petulant attitude was instantly dripping off of her.  She argued that I could still get my car out.  I said no I can't.  She then said that she would move her car later, when she had time.  I said "No, you have to move it now."  She gave me a look that would melt plastic, spun and stomped off.  I wasn't sure she was coming back, but she appeared after a bit and stomped past me, keys in hand without saying a word.  I followed behind her around the block, and called out to her, "Thank you.  Sure glad I didn't have to tow your car."  I couldn't see in her car that well, but I think I might have seen a middle finger.  She squealed the tires and sped down the street. 

I have seen immature behavior, but this one takes the cake.  I'm just going to have cars towed away from now on. 

« Last Edit: July 22, 2018, 05:15:54 PM by Zooport »
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: I'll never be kind to someone blocking my driveway again
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2018, 04:39:50 PM »
You should move, maybe far away to the East Coast. ;)

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2018, 04:44:58 PM »
Hmm, good idea, think I will!  :) I'm not going to miss the summer crowds.
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

OUTSIDEWAVE

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2018, 04:46:21 PM »
people like that know exactly what they are doing. Tow her.
SEA BIRDS THEY DO TOUCH AND GO AS THE WORLD JUST TANGOES BY.... SO I SADDLE UP MY SEAHORSE WITH MY FLYROD IN MY HAND.... 10'3 King custom  10'6"  c4 da beachboy

Windwarrior

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2018, 04:50:26 PM »
Well, you sir are far more patient than I would've been!!! Kudos to you for going above and beyond what most people would've.
Hala Carbon Hoss
#2? TBD!!

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2018, 05:14:18 PM »
Well, you sir are far more patient than I would've been!!! Kudos to you for going above and beyond what most people would've.

Yeah, I'm done with that.
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

Windwarrior

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2018, 05:26:00 PM »
Hermosa, Huntington and all those areas were always a pain to find parking growing up surfing all those areas I know what it was like. One thing we never did though was disrespect the locals or their domains. A lot were like family. Hence my previous post.

I've been reading your posts and I'm sure it was a tough choice to make but hopefully your new home will be filled with all new adventures! Peace.
Hala Carbon Hoss
#2? TBD!!

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2018, 05:32:29 PM »
Hermosa, Huntington and all those areas were always a pain to find parking growing up surfing all those areas I know what it was like. One thing we never did though was disrespect the locals or their domains. A lot were like family. Hence my previous post.

I've been reading your posts and I'm sure it was a tough choice to make but hopefully your new home will be filled with all new adventures! Peace.

Thanks.  I've gone from hating the idea to being excited about it now.  Gonna miss my place, but not the neighborhood.
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

connector14

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2018, 05:51:31 PM »
Zooport,  you went way beyond and above to be kind. She's the one that should be MOVING.
I have friends with a place in Cayucos that is right next to one of the public beach access points and we have visited on several occasions and I was actually impressed with how respectful the local surfers were of the neighbors and their limited space for parking. Never been an issue while we were there.
"never leave the dock without your paddle"
Imagine Rocket 14 ...my new favorite, smooth and fast and lite
2018 Red Paddle 14 x 27 Elite
2014 Bark Dominator 14....smooth and quiet
2014 Imagine Connector 14...the "barge"

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2018, 06:50:57 PM »
Thanks.  I've gone from hating the idea to being excited about it now.

Cool. There's a lesson in human nature in there somewhere ... and dealing with change in a healthy way!
RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2018, 07:33:02 PM »
Comment deleted.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2018, 07:44:01 PM by surfcowboy »

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2018, 10:35:25 PM »
You’re a kind man Zooport.
I would have used surfboard wax on her car windows to try and communicate.
Sounds like she deserved it but was lucky to have picked your driveway.

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2018, 07:04:31 AM »
I'm pretty much in the same situation all summer long here in my little shore town. Espesh on weekends. I also have to deal w/loud partiers and trash all over the place. Confronting any of these people is an unwanted challenge and calling the cops is always WAY easier. Making an effort to be polite and give people the benefit of the doubt is almost always a fail. You want to be polite and do the right thing but it seems the offenders don't have those words in their vocab.
One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"
9'11" PSH Hull Ripper-145 ltr    
9'3" PSH  Hull Ripper- 130ltr 
8'0" Corevac Assassin -127 ltr   
Paddles- Carbonerro PRO SERIES 85 & Riviera Camo at 70"

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2018, 08:55:24 AM »
In Charlotte, you'll be able to blast it to bits with your shotgun and haul it away with your tractor!
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2018, 09:09:11 AM »
Maybe not the result you were hoping for Zoo, but you did the right (neighborly) thing.  From your description, I might guess that her parents would have ended up witht the tow/stow charge. ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal