Author Topic: Need help: flatwater hard boards for long-distance racing/touring  (Read 36869 times)

Lake Paddler

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
Aloha Zoners. I've been looking for my first hard board for flatwater conditions with small chops and swells. I live inland and have paddled so far mostly on lakes with a 14'x28" inflatable. Only recently I started preparing for a 10-km race and contemplating upgrading to a hard board. For what it's worth, I'm 1.87 m (ca. 6'2") tall and weigh approx. 76 kg (ca. 168 lbs).

FYI, here is a list of hard boards that I've tried thus far in chronological order. Unfortunately I wasn't smart enough to collect any timing data.
  • Starboard All Star 14'x23" (2017). Tested for less than an hour with wind gusts of 4 Bft. Felt tippy at the beginning but quickly adapted to it. Given some extra hours I might've been able to do a step-back buoy turn (tried several times but failed halfway).
  • JP Flatwater Race 14'x25" (2017?). Tested for half an hour with wind gusts of 4 Bft, first 15 min upwind, last 15 min downwind. Felt more stable than the 23"-wide All Star.
  • JP Flatwater Race 14'x24.5" (2016?). Tested for two hours with wind gusts up to 2 Bft. No stability issue from minute one. Suppose I could go with something narrower.

Here is a list of hard boards in alphabetical order that I'd like to try out.
  • Blue Planet DO (Dug Out) Racer 14'x21"/22.5". Robert has always been an invaluable source with his Zen Waterman blog, Board Meetings (with Evan) and the like. Personally I'd also want to return the favor some day. 21" does sound a bit scary, but Robert (6'2", 195 lbs) managed to feel comfortable on it after a day's tour (https://blueplanetsurf.com/news/sup-11-city-tour-and-paddle-expo-euro-trip-report/). I suppose that I could get used to it in a few weeks' time. However I've never seen any Blue Planet board locally (in Southern Germany) and the nearest test centers are all too far away. Might not be easy to have a go.
  • Light Nelo Signature Race 14'x23". Strongly represented by their team riders in local events. Shame that I haven't tried one yet. The design without an EPS core sounds appealing.
  • SIC RS 14'x23". I've only read positive things about this one here. Although Reuben indicated in the SUPboarder review that the handle would store quite some water, it is possibly only a minor issue.
  • Starboard Sprint 14'x21.5". I've seen people consistently stressing its stability in the forum. Not so sure whether I'd like the deep dugout though. I could imagine that it wouldn't be very comfortable when I fall in and have to climb back onto the board.

Sometimes I ask myself whether it's really worth the efforts, and whether I should just grab any board and paddle my heart out. Indeed, any hard board listed above would be a big leap from my inflatable. If you disagree, I'd like very much to have some feedback regarding, e.g.,
  • any board that I should try but has not been listed above;
  • your impressions about any board that would suit my needs, and, if it's not too much trouble, how it is compared to a board that I already had a go on;
  • whether any two boards listed above are genuinely comparable, or whether one board would clearly better suit my needs than the other, so that I could narrow down the choices.
Never thought it would be so difficult to do test runs of boards of various brands. Possibly it has to do with the geographical location. Found a local retailer shop of SIC which insists any board rental service be bundled with a basic course at their SUP center. I may be an amateur in SUP but would rather not pay for another basic course...

Mahalo and looking forward to your replies. :)

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Need help: flatwater hard boards for long-distance racing/touring
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2018, 04:53:37 PM »
Ok. Well the first thing to say is the the SUPBoarder comment about water in the SIC handle is frankly just stupid. They must have been really reaching to try to find something negative to say. The SIC handle is the best on the market, hands down, and is a huge asset. The water it holds is probably no more than the sweat you’d wring out of your shirt after the race. It’s not going to make any measurable difference to your speed or board handling.

The second thing to say is that you are contemplating a huge leap in board widths. Racing alongside other people is a lot tougher than you’d think. There’s a lot of chop in the pack. You need a margin of comfort. Going down 3” or so in one go is probably quite enough, and going down 6+ inches is a huge drop. Only you can know if you’d be biting off more than you can chew for this coming race. Even some elite racers don’t choose a board as narrow as 21.5” wide for racing.

The third thing to say is that you should buy used if possible, until you know a bit more about what is best for you. If you buy wisely you will lose very little if you make a mistake.

The fourth thing to say is that all the boards you mention will get the job done.

FloridaWindSUP

• Sunset Status
  • Marine Biologist, Riviera Paddlesurf Ambassador
    • View Profile
    • James' Blog
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2018, 07:39:50 PM »
If you did OK on a 23 in 4 bft your first time trying it, you should be OK on a 23. But it will take a deliberate practice to get those buoy turns down. Like, you'll want to practice at least 10 buoy turns every session, even if it's choppy (especially if it's choppy).

AllStar 14x23 is a safe bet. SIC RS 14x23 is quite similar in stability and speed to the AllStar.

14x25 JP Flatwater would also be a safe bet, and possibly better for long distance and choppy water races where your legs might start to get worn out from balancing on a 14x23. Maybe a tiny bit slower than the 14x23s on pure flat water, but not a huge difference.   

Anything less than 23 is going to be quite challenging when the chop comes up and when you have to do buoy turns.
14x23 Riviera RP
14x27.25 Fanatic Falcon
11'8 Exocet WindSUP
10'4 Angulo WindSUP
...and a bunch of windsurf stuff

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2018, 12:53:27 AM »
Ok. Well the first thing to say is the the SUPBoarder comment about water in the SIC handle is frankly just stupid. They must have been really reaching to try to find something negative to say. The SIC handle is the best on the market, hands down, and is a huge asset. The water it holds is probably no more than the sweat you’d wring out of your shirt after the race. It’s not going to make any measurable difference to your speed or board handling.

I've certainly tried to explain to them that board reviews should be a proper review including positive and negative thoughts (unlike most sites or mags in the industry). It might seem trivial but better that then just banner waving a brands catalog around because they are paying for advertising.

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2018, 02:03:48 AM »

I've certainly tried to explain to them that board reviews should be a proper review including positive and negative thoughts (unlike most sites or mags in the industry). It might seem trivial but better that then just banner waving a brands catalog around because they are paying for advertising.
But a deep ledge handle holds just as much water (maybe more) - it’s just that you can’t see it! So unless you are also going to criticise all the ledge handles in the world for trapping water, this is unfair and misleading.

It’s a shame because otherwise it was a good review. But people seem to be latching onto this handle thing - when in fact the superb SIC handle (that Blue Planet copied, not so well) is actually a reason to buy the board, especially if you carry your board in high winds or do races with beach starts.

If you can’t find much to criticise then just say that. Don’t squeeze out something pointless. The RS is a very well executed design. And that includes the handle. There are perhaps small things you might wish for that it hadn’t got (eg. full PVC sandwich, a prettier coloured or more comfy deck pad, maybe a tail pad etc), but it’s hard to criticise what it has got, and most of all the handle, which is a godsend. People are now quoting this as a reason not to buy an RS, which is RIDICULOUS. And it also shows how very careful you need to be when doing these so-called expert reviews.

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2018, 05:55:48 AM »

But a deep ledge handle holds just as much water (maybe more) - it’s just that you can’t see it! So unless you are also going to criticise all the ledge handles in the world for trapping water, this is unfair and misleading.

It’s a shame because otherwise it was a good review. But people seem to be latching onto this handle thing - when in fact the superb SIC handle (that Blue Planet copied, not so well) is actually a reason to buy the board, especially if you carry your board in high winds or do races with beach starts.

I don't disagree but this does assume that products are reviewed by customers both logically and rationally. In my experience, they aren't and end-users will only complain problems they can actually see not what actually is a fault.... The key is always to use a review as a starting point and then go try it yourself. Nobody is going to drop 3 grand on a board without doing it I hope.

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2018, 06:20:32 AM »
Maybe try a Sunova Flatwater.  Is stable and low drag and has a nice sunken deck.  Just make sure you do not cinch it down too tight with straps as the board uses balsa vs carbon sandwich. Personally dislike any boards that dent too easy.  A well built CS board does not compression dent like the crap Surftech half baked Pro Elite.  Have an original Bark Dom and is ridiculous how easy that board dents.  Is our least durable board by far and would not buy another because of that.  Some race boards lack durability.  Naish had problems as well.

If you can try a RS at a local retailer that might compare vs the All Star.  The SB foam handles are nice since you can re-position them for your preference.  The SIC does collect some water in the handle -> but the pro is that it does not twist at all.

The sunken Sprint 21.5 is one step more tippy than the AS23.  So if that tip is say 7/10 -> then the Sprint would be 8/10.  Def would go Sprint for just flat.  Is very low drag and does have truly exceptional glide.

But for racing 10 km in small chop with swells would stay around 23.  You should be able to pound over that with something like the All Star better than the Sprint which spears.  In big chop -> something like the AS 24.5 is def better for added stability over the extra drag.

Def try as many diff boards you can.  Then just get one and work out the bugs for your use.  Hard to go too wrong with any of the boards you are looking at.  Def get a board best for you and your skill set etc -> not what someone else blabs about here or in some review.  ;)
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

Lake Paddler

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2018, 06:43:06 AM »
@Area 10 Thanks very much for the detailed feedback!
Ok. Well the first thing to say is the the SUPBoarder comment about water in the SIC handle is frankly just stupid. They must have been really reaching to try to find something negative to say.
It did leave me this kind of impression, for it was only very briefly mentioned at the end of the video. Certainly I wouldn't reject the board solely for this reason. Water will flow around anyway once it gets choppy.

The second thing to say is that you are contemplating a huge leap in board widths. Racing alongside other people is a lot tougher than you’d think. There’s a lot of chop in the pack. You need a margin of comfort. Going down 3” or so in one go is probably quite enough, and going down 6+ inches is a huge drop. Only you can know if you’d be biting off more than you can chew for this coming race. Even some elite racers don’t choose a board as narrow as 21.5” wide for racing.
You're right. It would be a huge leap to go down to 21.5", and 23" does seem to be a safer choice. Back in May, I first learned paddling on a 31"-wide inflatable and then bought the 28"-wide one which I currently own. The 28" inflatable felt almost as stable as the 31"-wide one and I got a little bored after a week or two. Kept it anyway for touring with my beloved one and for friends visiting us. I think I did overestimate the learning curve a little. So, I also considered narrower boards even if they might take me weeks to get used to, especially after I'd tried boards with width in the range of 23"---25". But maybe the learning curve is much steeper in the sub-23" range, I suppose?

The third thing to say is that you should buy used if possible, until you know a bit more about what is best for you. If you buy wisely you will lose very little if you make a mistake.
Thank you for this suggestion. The second-hand market here (inland) appears however to be quite small and I've only seen demo inflatable boards being sold by sponsored test centers so far. But I'll keep looking.

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2018, 06:46:55 AM »
@Area 10 Thanks very much for the detailed feedback!
Ok. Well the first thing to say is the the SUPBoarder comment about water in the SIC handle is frankly just stupid. They must have been really reaching to try to find something negative to say.
It did leave me this kind of impression, for it was only very briefly mentioned at the end of the video. Certainly I wouldn't reject the board solely for this reason. Water will flow around anyway once it gets choppy.

You're right. It would be a huge leap to go down to 21.5", and 23" does seem to be a safer choice. Back in May, I first learned paddling on a 31"-wide inflatable and then bought the 28"-wide one which I currently own. The 28" inflatable felt almost as stable as the 31"-wide one and I got a little bored after a week or two. Kept it anyway for touring with my beloved one and for friends visiting us. I think I did overestimate the learning curve a little. So, I also considered narrower boards even if they might take me weeks to get used to, especially after I'd tried boards with width in the range of 23"---25". But maybe the learning curve is much steeper in the sub-23" range, I suppose?

Thank you for this suggestion. The second-hand market here (inland) appears however to be quite small and I've only seen demo inflatable boards being sold by sponsored test centers so far. But I'll keep looking.

It should be noted that a 23 width is a racing width, not a touring width. Not only will it be slightly less stable at touring speeds but you'll also be subjected to more leg fatigue due to the hours you are paddling it. Err on the side of caution is my advice. Falling in repeatably when only touring won't be a pleasant experience.

Lake Paddler

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2018, 07:29:09 AM »
If you did OK on a 23 in 4 bft your first time trying it, you should be OK on a 23. But it will take a deliberate practice to get those buoy turns down. Like, you'll want to practice at least 10 buoy turns every session, even if it's choppy (especially if it's choppy).
Thanks a lot for the this valuable piece of advice! I'll definitely practice buoy turns alongside regular training.

AllStar 14x23 is a safe bet. SIC RS 14x23 is quite similar in stability and speed to the AllStar.
If this SIC RS model has no obvious flaw, I might prefer it over the AS. Seeing a whole lot of AS or Sprint locally makes me a little bit tired of that Tikiman. :P

14x25 JP Flatwater would also be a safe bet, and possibly better for long distance and choppy water races where your legs might start to get worn out from balancing on a 14x23. Maybe a tiny bit slower than the 14x23s on pure flat water, but not a huge difference.   
You're totally right. Maybe I should try to paddle some long distance (> 10 km) on an 23"-wide AS to see whether I could possibly handle it.

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2018, 09:45:36 AM »
Lake,

I'm not interested in getting into a philisophical discussion about water retention in handles
But if you are looking for the ultimate 14Ft flatwater race boards Id add 2019 Fanatic STRIKE & the SUNOVA Flatwater fast
These board seem to be winning and since you are a ZONER (member) We offer significant discounts on these and all items

PM or email me
JimK
Extreme Windsurfing

warmuth

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2018, 10:01:27 AM »
  I’ll come out and be the first to actually say it. Don’t buy a 23. Start out at 25 or if you really feel you need to then get a 24. A 23” board won’t offer you anything more than a 24 or 25 will besides instability. Your racing results are going to ride entirely upon your fitness, not your board, provided said board is intended as a race board. The difference in speed between them is far less than you probably think it is.

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
  • Super Natural British Columbia
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2018, 10:10:02 AM »
It should be noted that a 23 width is a racing width, not a touring width. Not only will it be slightly less stable at touring speeds but you'll also be subjected to more leg fatigue due to the hours you are paddling it.

Words of Wisdom. There is a huge difference between zipping on a 5km paddle on a race board and going 15km on it. Usually kilometre 6 and over start to become less attractive......
Sunova Allwater 14'x25.5" 303L Viento 520
Sunova Torpedo 14'x27" 286L Salish 500
Naish Nalu 11'4" x 30" 180L Andaman 520
Sunova Steeze 10' x 31" 150L
Blackfish Paddles

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
  • Super Natural British Columbia
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2018, 10:18:17 AM »
the handle. People are now quoting this as a reason not to buy an RS, which is RIDICULOUS.

I thing that this winter people that own a RS 24.5 or 26 should seriously consider selling it at a discount because of the handle and let me know (if they are close to Vancouver).
I could help them put this terrible issue right.
Sunova Allwater 14'x25.5" 303L Viento 520
Sunova Torpedo 14'x27" 286L Salish 500
Naish Nalu 11'4" x 30" 180L Andaman 520
Sunova Steeze 10' x 31" 150L
Blackfish Paddles

paddlejones

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2018, 10:23:03 AM »
LOL  ;)

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
Today at 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 16, 2024, 12:40:25 AM
post SIC Raptor Foil and Board For Sale
[Classifieds]
addapost
April 15, 2024, 04:25:26 PM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 15, 2024, 02:40:38 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal