Author Topic: Steamer Lane Claims Victim Brian Hart With Severe Injuries  (Read 4495 times)

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Steamer Lane Claims Victim Brian Hart With Severe Injuries
« on: July 18, 2018, 02:55:27 PM »
Strange, my wife knew Veronica Hart from orientation at her chiropractor and saw all three Harts at the office from time to time.

I guess I have always been surprised there aren't more injuries at Steamer Lane, with all the jumping off cliffs and riding close to the slot/notch. A body surfer died on the other side a couple of years ago when he underestimated the tides/waves.  I guess Brian got slammed against the cliff by white water.

He really got messed up with fractured vertebra, ribs etc and paresis (unknown if lasting or temporary).

https://www.kion546.com/news/santa-cruz-man-severely-injured-in-surfing-accident/769677336
« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 02:58:40 PM by SUPcheat »
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Steamer Lane Claims Victim Brian Hart With Severe Injuries
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2018, 05:17:21 PM »
That is sad.

Brian is, and always has been, one to push the limits.

Good thoughts sent his way.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2018, 05:44:15 PM »
Such a seductive spot, I'm surprised more people don't get hurt. Seems when the waves are big that sneaky lump that comes in from surfer's right gets even more dangerous. I've had some puckered moments when it was middle-sized, and I've seen it big, standing safely on the pier.  There's a go fund me page here:https://www.gofundme.com/5teiafs
« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 05:52:14 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2018, 07:00:05 PM »
Beautiful looking family. Good thoughts for the young fella. Sounds rough.
One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"
9'11" PSH Hull Ripper-145 ltr    
9'3" PSH  Hull Ripper- 130ltr 
8'0" Corevac Assassin -127 ltr   
Paddles- Carbonerro PRO SERIES 85 & Riviera Camo at 70"

OUTSIDEWAVE

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2018, 10:12:06 PM »
Used to surf there years ago  back when leashes were rubber tubing with a small like para cord  string inside  we would jump off the cliff too.   I had a leash break on a not so big day maybe. 4-5.  Lost the board into the sea cave towards the inside  and had to swim in I got lucky  never saw the board again.  I was always scared of getting  smashed up against the rocks      Sorry to hear it happened 
sometimes I wonder if doing that stuff then made me such a wimp now especially since I know what can happen. Still so very sad to hear it and I wish that young man the best and speediest recovery
SEA BIRDS THEY DO TOUCH AND GO AS THE WORLD JUST TANGOES BY.... SO I SADDLE UP MY SEAHORSE WITH MY FLYROD IN MY HAND.... 10'3 King custom  10'6"  c4 da beachboy

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2018, 10:28:16 PM »
It's not the big days that you have to worry about when surfing the Point at the Lane.

A mid-sized south swell at high tide is the most dangerous time.

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2018, 11:06:03 PM »
"Trauma center doctors put Hart in a medically-induced coma because he was suffering from spinal cord swelling and a deep laceration in his head. He also broke his neck, collarbone, ribs, back, and ankle.

His teenage son, Santiago Hart, is a professional surfer and one of Surf City's rising stars.

"My dad was in a freak surf accident. My dad is such a big part of my life and it's extremely hard to see him in such a weak state fighting to live. Every prayer helps," Santiago Hart wrote on Instagram.

Santiago Hart            
Charlie Witmer
Santiago Hart
A GoFundMe account has been set up to help pay for medical bills and the Hart family's expenses. Click here to donate.

Former professional big wave surfer Darryl "Flea" Virostko said the Hart family is a strong part of the community.

Steamer Lane surfers said Brian Hart's incident was the worst surfing injury in at least the last five years.

Virostko explained to KSBW how a severe surfing accident can happen to a veteran surfer on a day like Saturday's conditions.

A south summer swell was breaking with 4-foot wave faces, much smaller than the big swells that the Lane attracts in the winter.

"He hit head-first into the cliff on a wedgy wave. When you're surfing the Lane on a south swell at high tide, if you can't take off where it breaks, you are going to get pushed into the cliff. From the south direction, there's nowhere to go," Virostko said.

Virostko said Brian Hart was paddling for a wave and about to drop into it when he saw another surfer with priority. When he tried to pull back, he went over the lip.

"Once you're with the lip going over, so dangerous, so crazy," Virostko said.

Virostko said the last major accident he could remember at the Lane happened to a surfer from Puerto Escondido, Mexico during similar conditions.

With more and more surfers in the water competing for waves, accidents are bound to happen.

"I surf the Lane a lot. Everyone is taking off deeper. You see so many close calls. People's boards get demolished. We're lucky we don't see more of this," Virostko said."

2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

Weasels wake

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2018, 10:18:12 AM »
I've always really liked this pic, it's pretty illustrative, as well as just cool.
It takes a quiver to do that.

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2018, 02:51:33 PM »
rip to Brian Hart and condolence to the family and friends.
wow, what a pic Weasels wake.
we all take risk along the way  :-X

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2018, 01:23:02 PM »
beyond your "rip" i cant find anything to indicate the brian hart has died--hope that's not the case--ive been following on the gofundme page, and no mention there since last update wed
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

capobeachboy

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2018, 02:48:52 PM »
Pretty sure I met them a couple weeks ago at SanO. They had a Prius stuffed to the gills with shortboards and foils. Super friendly family.
West Coast Distributor
Dolphin Surfcraft
DEEP Ocean Boards
Ambassador/team rider/rep
KeNalu Paddles

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2018, 03:10:11 PM »
I do apologized for my mistake comments, what was thinking  :-X

OUTSIDEWAVE

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2018, 04:50:45 PM »
Hey Weasels wake  tha has ti be the  craziest picture i have seen and  I vote for the worst timing too.
SEA BIRDS THEY DO TOUCH AND GO AS THE WORLD JUST TANGOES BY.... SO I SADDLE UP MY SEAHORSE WITH MY FLYROD IN MY HAND.... 10'3 King custom  10'6"  c4 da beachboy

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2018, 09:56:19 AM »
no worries jeg--seems he is still fighting, from what the gofundme says--hope he gets well again
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal