Author Topic: 2nd Foil Sesh...NOT EASY!  (Read 10287 times)

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 2nd Foil Sesh...NOT EASY!
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2018, 09:51:11 AM »
Feet need to be dead center on the board

1) Feet must be Centered on the board
2) Take a Sharpie Marker and put an X Mark 25" forward of the FRONT Tuttle bolt.  This is where your front foot MUST Go
3) Back foot should be Centered over the Tuttle Box between the 2 bolts. 

Anything else will NOT Fly.  If either foot is 1" too far forward you can't leave the water, 1" too far back and you will get bucked off the board, off center and you get the wobbles and crash.
Just quoting to emphasis the importance of the three points made here.

Also while getting towed behind a boat definitely seems to accelerate the learning curve, it's not as stated mandatory, as many of the guys I'm foiling with have not had the opportunity to do so. Although if you ever get the opportunity...drop everything you're doing to make sure you don't let it slip by.  :)
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2018, 10:09:45 AM »
In this Hydro-Foiling Maui vid of his he's sans footstraps and shifts foot placement just slightly every so often for small tweaks in trim. Very cool!

https://youtu.be/6ePHF36adPM

Let me add this vid that has been my all time favorite foil video to date...love the vibe, the music, and the fun little swell....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahODlWP9fp0

But don't get fooled into thinking that we mere mortals can do what the pros are able to do with the setups they're using. Watched Thomas 'Maximus' Shahinian take an old Riviera 8'x28" softtop, stick a foil on it, and fly it right out of the gate like he'd been doing it for months on end.

At least get a kick pad on your board right behind (or even on) the rear Tuttle bolt....

....and get the "X", a small pad, or strap (that I personally found invaluable when learning) for your front foot placement...

From there, get for rear foot placed over the mast, and your front foot on the mark or in the strap...before you start turning to catch the wave.

Once you're "locked" in, you will then, and only then have the correct balance to fly the board safely. Outside of that, you're simply setting yourself up for failure, added frustration, and thoughts of giving it up (not to mention an added possibility of injury if you're starting off balance on your takeoffs)....I know, as I was there myself until others got me straightened out, and flying right.  :)

JMO...OMMV.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 10:20:11 AM by SanoSlatchSup »
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2018, 07:19:24 PM »
Sano and Beasho, you guys are the best, man! Totally beating the fundamentals into me. Nice foiling deck setup on that green flyer, Sano.

That video of Zane w/the drone in that mellow bay is sweeet. Island style, brahdah! I liked when he ollied over the inside reef.

« Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 07:25:38 PM by surfercook »
One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"
9'11" PSH Hull Ripper-145 ltr    
9'3" PSH  Hull Ripper- 130ltr 
8'0" Corevac Assassin -127 ltr   
Paddles- Carbonerro PRO SERIES 85 & Riviera Camo at 70"

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2018, 10:25:49 PM »
I tried foiling some crappy 8second waist to shoulder beachbreak at Indian Beach on the Oregon coast this weekend. Fiasco! It was so bumpy and crossed up that every time I got up I'd crash and burn. Very frustrating but it has me committed to getting my downwinding foil chops rolling in the Columbia.

Damn the water is cold on the Oregon Coast. Instant Ice Cream headache.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2018, 06:41:11 AM »
I tried foiling some crappy 8second waist to shoulder beachbreak at Indian Beach on the Oregon coast this weekend. Fiasco! It was so bumpy and crossed up that every time I got up I'd crash and burn
So what are you saying, the conditions I was in my first coupla go outs were less than optimal?   :P I have to agree! I hope we get some smooth water soon so I can try and muster up the courage to actually stand correctly on the foil and fly the darn thing. Curious if you've ever visited NJ, ponon...guessin yes. You think Oregon has cold water? You should jump in here around mid January!
One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"
9'11" PSH Hull Ripper-145 ltr    
9'3" PSH  Hull Ripper- 130ltr 
8'0" Corevac Assassin -127 ltr   
Paddles- Carbonerro PRO SERIES 85 & Riviera Camo at 70"

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal