Author Topic: 2nd Foil Sesh...NOT EASY!  (Read 10292 times)

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
Re: 2nd Foil Sesh...NOT EASY!
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2018, 09:43:32 AM »
The early days were really frustrating for me.  It gets much easier and once it starts to click rapid improvements, like every session leaps and bounds of more control and longer smoother flights.

This helped me:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tP7Q9-2p-gI
Aloha, I welcome and appreciate all responses of positivity and good feeling.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOIE6FWr1SpWvbPJIIiEgog

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2018, 02:27:40 PM »
Pono, Clay, and Beash...thanx so much for all the advice and attention. I read the Pono/Beasho tips twice and watched the Clay vid twice. hopefully all that info will translate to a more successful go out next foil sesh. I was psyched to foil today but the beach fill operations have pretty much totally effed up my break. I went to the edge of the project about 1/2 mile to the north and it was breaking nice but the offshores were pretty stiff and eventually went sideshore. I am pretty scared to try to school the foil in stiff offshores. So I will have to wait for another glassy/variable wind day to start up again.

Waves were petty fast w/the offshores
vlcsnap-2018-07-18-11h17m24s373 by surfercook, on Flickr

Water swapped w/a dude from Cardiff who is here in NJ visiting. Pretty sure the board is an Otis
vlcsnap-2018-07-18-11h22m48s448 by surfercook, on Flickr

Fill ops north end. Hopefully a few good storms will wash away a bunch of this fill and return our breaks to some form of natural normalcy.
vlcsnap-2018-07-18-11h55m33s693 by surfercook, on Flickr

vlcsnap-2018-07-18-11h53m55s121 by surfercook, on Flickr
One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"
9'11" PSH Hull Ripper-145 ltr    
9'3" PSH  Hull Ripper- 130ltr 
8'0" Corevac Assassin -127 ltr   
Paddles- Carbonerro PRO SERIES 85 & Riviera Camo at 70"

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2018, 11:55:44 AM »
Here is some more motivation.   

A couple shots of my daughter Ruby age 15.  She IS a strong paddler and had practiced behind the boat for ~ 1 hour over 3 sessions. 

Now with 2 hours behind the boat she can comfortably take off, fly and has started to PUMP.  Here was her 6th flight attempt in the waves on her second session.  She is only giving 'me' 20 minutes of trying and then switches back to regular SUP.

https://youtu.be/dh5PSh0-NRs

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2018, 01:25:28 PM »
Now with 2 hours behind the boat she can comfortably take off, fly and has started to PUMP.  Here was her 6th flight attempt in the waves on her second session.

IMPRESSIVE!!   :o  Why are you guys this side of the Mississippi?
One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2018, 01:57:21 PM »
3rd session in the books. Ditched the Naish Malolo for the GoFoil Iwa. Seemed easier to fly at my weight (175 lbs). Still quite frightened, mainly because I have very little cntrl on lift off. Did a solid 90 mins w/out touching the foil once so figured I'd quit while I was ahead. Did manage my first successful liftoff/landing after dropping in. So far it's been fly and crash. Not the most graceful landing but it was the first time I didn't fall off after touch down. Trying to concentrate on centering my stance but having some difficulty. So used to having my stance tweaked a few degrees and not at all comfortable w/both feet directly over stringer. More go outs needed. Noticed a hum on my last wave.

vlcsnap-2018-07-20-16h03m32s409 by surfercook, on Flickr

First Successful Liftoff and Landing
vlcsnap-2018-07-20-16h13m57s177 by surfercook, on Flickr
vlcsnap-2018-07-20-16h14m08s378 by surfercook, on Flickr

Flying is Addictive!
vlcsnap-2018-07-20-16h09m12s856 by surfercook, on Flickr

Not even trying to save a faltering trim
vlcsnap-2018-07-20-16h06m50s273 by surfercook, on Flickr

sharksupper

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2018, 02:48:35 PM »
That last shot is great!  When someone asks what it's like to learn to foil, they should be shown that photo!   ;D

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2018, 10:24:49 AM »
Well just to show you that you're not alone in the crash department, here's a "Turned/lifted too soon, and breach half the wing".....

https://youtu.be/s_QT5seiM5Q

....to crash back down into the water immediately after.

That is one nice thing I'm finding with the video stuff though, I'm now realizing what's happening when things twitch, glitch, or just can't be explained by what I felt in/on the board. On that one, I thought everything was off, and running just fine, but then saw in the video (when I went frame-by-frame) that as I was turning, I was also still trying to lift at the same time....

This combo of turning (that picks up speed), and elevating the nose caused the left side of the wing to exit the water, lose all lift, and thus immediately head back down to it...ie. the crash that couldn't be saved. Btw, that "tap" with the paddle was more exploratory to find/feel the wing if it was coming up to avoid it, rather than trying to save anything, and why I went off the back of the wave as quickly as I did...with enough time to grab my hat before going in.
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

Evan Lloyd

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2018, 08:38:09 PM »
I’m just learning myself, but one thing I’ve found helpful is dropping in straight, get the foil flying, then initiate the turn. Lately I’ve been able to take off on an angle, but it’s tricky. San O is the best spot in CA to learn. Have fun out there.

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2018, 09:16:40 PM »
Stokin' you guys are helpin'. This foiling is way tougher than expected. But hopefully w/time in I'll get it. I've yet to complete a wave successfully. The whole idea of both feet over the stringer is baffling me. I keep standing like that in my living room w/my shoulders squared off. Warrior stance for sure!  :P

Was motivated to edit my foiling clips and I'm lucky to have added footage of two really good surfers foiling.

https://youtu.be/-GSYLsKxbzU

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2018, 03:08:15 AM »
Watching the video -  This is not going to fly.

Feet need to be dead center on the board.    When I was learning and my foot was 1/2" off the centerline I would get the wobbles and crash. 

COLAS commented that the reason I am able to teach people so quickly is because I have footstraps on the board.  It is forced foot placement.   

You can not practice this centered stance on a normal SUP because it is UN-natural.  Your feet would be so centered you couldn't turn the board.

1) Feet must be Centered on the board
2) Take a Sharpie Marker and put an X Mark 25" forward of the FRONT Tuttle bolt.  This is where your front foot MUST Go
3) Back foot should be Centered over the Tuttle Box between the 2 bolts. 

Anything else will NOT Fly.  If either foot is 1" too far forward you can't leave the water, 1" too far back and you will get bucked off the board, offcenter and you get the wobbles and crash. 
« Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 03:28:22 AM by Beasho »

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2018, 03:30:43 AM »
Listen to Zane and Robert here.  Getting behind a boat will help but is NOT 100% necessary:

https://youtu.be/iMWsz-waTvA?t=2102
« Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 03:32:18 AM by Beasho »

Surfside

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2018, 04:26:55 AM »
Surfercook, keep charging but stay safe. How about a front foot strap and a raised area over the foil mount for your rear foot? It really helped me. I am still learning and will be for quite some time. We have not had any surf for a long time so, the boat comes into play. I'll be decreasing the rope length next and hopefully ride the wake soon.

Sup the creek, I licked and licked...maybe the saliva trick works better in saltwater.  :D

https://youtu.be/hOMwHfjfsT8

supthecreek

« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2018, 05:09:23 AM »
Keep at it cookieman..... you'll get your wings!

looking good there WWR.... yup, lens's are diabolical.... nothing really works, but licking does as well as anything.
ps.... don't eat glazed donuts on the way to a session  ;D

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2018, 08:05:03 AM »
Appreciating all the tips, advice, and encouragement once again. Gonna keep at it for sure.
WWR, you're looking really comfortable and steady on your foil! Nice job.

That Zane interview was super cool. The main point I got from his advice when first learning was stay centered over the foil, go straight, and try to control lift and descent in small increments.....looked like the M2M gave him a wind perm though!  :P

In this Hydro-Foiling Maui vid of his he's sans footstraps and shifts foot placement just slightly every so often for small tweaks in trim. Very cool!

https://youtu.be/6ePHF36adPM

« Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 08:09:59 AM by surfercook »

Surfside

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2018, 08:35:53 AM »
Thanks guys, sup the creek, lol, no chumming allowed :) 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal