Author Topic: Evolve Big Deal vs. Surftec Generator  (Read 1479 times)

chriskoz

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Evolve Big Deal vs. Surftec Generator
« on: July 15, 2018, 11:56:43 AM »
Thinking about getting a new board and these are available in my area used, both about $800/each.
I have had a Bic Jungle for 8 years, use it for flat water and surfing 2-4 foot waves. I'm 5'11, 200. Board size for these is 11 for Evolve and 11'6 for Surftec.
I'm open to smaller boards but I like the bigger size for flatwater cruising and for my dog, about 75 lbs, when he comes along.
Boards seem very similar but just wanted to get some feedback if anyone knew about these. Is the price for each fair, assuming they are both in very good condition, or are they high?
I live in Maryland and spend most of my time around the Chesapeake or at the beach.
Thanks

supthecreek

Re: Evolve Big Deal vs. Surftec Generator
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2018, 04:17:23 AM »
Hi chriskoz

If those are prices for used, you can probably do better.... both are available new, for close to that.
Offer them less and see who goes lower  :)

They are both respectable boards, with the Generator probably being the most durable.
The Generator has very flat rocker and little nose kick, so it's very fast in surf and catches anything...... but the nose makes it a bit tricky on a steep drop.

Both are pretty big boards for a guy your size.
Maybe keep the BIC for paddling and pup, then go a bit smaller for your surf SUP.
You don't need to go small, but it gives you more options when looking for a used board just for surf.

addapost

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2018, 04:52:55 AM »
I have the 10'6" Generator and I like it a lot. It's about 6 years old, has held up well and is in really good shape. After you consider what Creek said, it does surf pretty good. If I was selling it I don't think I'd ask for or expect to get $800- that seems a bit high to me. I have no experience with the Evolve but looking at its construction, it looks like a good quality board. Either way, the reason I'm posting is neither board is the best choice for paddling with a big dog. Both have a slippery bamboo deck that dogs typically don't do well on. You'll have to add some sort of (usually) ugly traction for the dog. Good luck.
Bunch of old shit

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2018, 09:43:13 AM »
I can get you a Fanatic FLY NEW for that price either 11Ft or 10'6 and I'm "kinda" local
Give me a call 484 515 5758

JimK
Extreme Windsurfing

chriskoz

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2018, 04:55:33 PM »
Hey Jim,
I actually vacation in Cape May, so you are not that far. I've decided to get a touring/ race board to mix it up. I'll give you a call.
Thanks

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal