Author Topic: Sitting (OC1, surfski) vs. Standing (SUP)  (Read 9075 times)

FloridaWindSUP

• Sunset Status
  • Marine Biologist, Riviera Paddlesurf Ambassador
    • View Profile
    • James' Blog
Sitting (OC1, surfski) vs. Standing (SUP)
« on: July 13, 2018, 06:55:19 PM »
Somehow I got peer pressured into buying a used surfski kayak when all my SUP friends were doing it. My main SUP discipline is flatwater racing with occasional downwinding, and I've had similar intentions for the surfski. Impressions after a few months:

1) It's very difficult to balance in. I have no problem on a 14'x23" sup, but this 21'x17" is insanely hard to stay upright in if the water isn't totally flat.

2) It's very difficult to figure out the stroke. Fat guys with more experience pass me easily while I'm sweating bullets.

3) Despite still sucking at the stroke, I'm 1.5 - 2 kph faster on it than I am on my 14x23 SUP, depending on the distance and the flatness of the water.

4) IT ABSOLUTELY TORTURES MY BUTT TO THE POINT THAT I CAN'T SIT IN A CHAIR FOR DAYS AFTER SOME SESSIONS. Seat pad and paddling shorts don't help.

Have any of you tried surfski or OC1 and then just decided, "Yeah, thanks but no thanks." Because that's about where I'm at with this butt thing. I may just not be physically constructed in a way that I can do sit down paddling without tearing myself up. I've tasted that faster speed, though, and I loath to give it up. I'm thinking about maybe trading it in for a unlimited sup of some kind, if I could find an unlimited sup that was both faster than a 14' raceboard in flatwater and good for downwinders and rough water / allwater conditions.
14x23 Riviera RP
14x27.25 Fanatic Falcon
11'8 Exocet WindSUP
10'4 Angulo WindSUP
...and a bunch of windsurf stuff

OUTSIDEWAVE

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Sitting (OC1, surfski) vs. Standing (SUP)
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2018, 07:46:32 PM »
a 21' x 17 " sounds more  like an ocean going  kayak than a surf ski. I used to to do that andmy boat was 17'  x 21" it was very fast  avergae easily 3.5 -4 knots and  hit peak speeds of 5.5  knots   surf skis i have seen out here  tend to have  wide flat bottoms with  fins  near the  middle and  sit on top vs an ocean  going kayak that you sit in a cockpit  The surf skis were much shorter  10ish feet.  a few of the older guys ( i am 64) use them and do pretty well.
SEA BIRDS THEY DO TOUCH AND GO AS THE WORLD JUST TANGOES BY.... SO I SADDLE UP MY SEAHORSE WITH MY FLYROD IN MY HAND.... 10'3 King custom  10'6"  c4 da beachboy

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2018, 09:47:49 PM »
V8 - 21.25"
V8 Pro - 20.0"
V10 Sport - 18.9"
V10 - 17.7"
V10L - 17.3"
V11 / V12 / V14 - 16.9"

Could be that the 17" is one step too tippy for you.  For me the V10 felt about right -> whereas the V10L a tad too tippy.  My preference by a long shot is SUP.  Friends have the V8 V10 V12.

My wife really liked the V10 Sport as that was stable and quick -> yet narrow enough across the cockpit to allow easy paddling for her.  Past 19" the width just felt too wide and cumbersome.
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2018, 03:18:45 AM »
Have any of you tried surfski or OC1 and then just decided, "Yeah, thanks but no thanks." Because that's about where I'm at with this butt thing. I may just not be physically constructed in a way that I can do sit down paddling without tearing myself up.

Same. I'm just not cut out for the sit down thing. My legs (and mind) go numb.

And anyway SUP is my cross training for Mtn biking and skiing and is just the workout one needs for the legs.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2018, 06:55:34 AM »
There are plenty of fat Hawaiians that fly in OC1, but they probably started before they were ten. I think you need great abs and a stainless steel ass to enjoy a surfski. OC's at least have padded seats, but you're still doing a situp for whatever distance you paddle. I tried an Epic V8 a few years ago--torture. I also have deep vein insufficiency and anything that affects circulation to my legs is a problem. Even with compression socks, the OC1 and Surfskis kill my legs. OC6 is fine because the seating position is high. And SUP with compression is net positive. When my Hawaii house sells I'll move my OC1 here and might use it more--we'll see. I certainly don't want to buy another one.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

FRP

• Bob
  • Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2018, 12:22:30 PM »
Hi Florida

I know nothing about OC-1 but have a fair bit of experience with ocean kayaks and surf kayaks. Not sure if this will help but Jackson kayaks makes a seat called “happy seat” that I have used. Basically a bean bag that you mold to your but when sitting and then suck the air out (of the bean bag) so that it conforms perfectly. Not expensive and perhaps worth a try.........you know I think I have one somewhere in my basement. PM me and I will send it out to you....no use for it.....sold the surf kayak.

Bob

Sunova 8'10" Speeed
Sunova 8’7” Creek
Sunova 9’x30” Revolution
KeNalu Konihi 84 (primary paddle)
Kialoa Pipes II
Werner Nitro Carbon

"The time spent surfing is time that is added to my life" “In the ocean we are all connected”
Anon

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2018, 06:54:07 AM »
howre the tax law changes affecting HI RE? we are just now seeing heavy selling/prices falling here in NY, CT, NJ (blue, relatively high tax states)--took a while, but it's got momentum---especially in the higher end product---bums me out---prolly happening in MA too
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

Kwolfe

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2018, 07:27:44 AM »
Funny but I'm a bit of the opposite.  I started with SUP (naish glide)  and then got a surfk ski (Epic v8) and then and OC1 (Scorpius).

Fast forward two years later, here is my quiver:
Epic V14 (surfski)
Nelo 550 (surfski)
Antares (OC1)
2014 Starboard Allstar
I'm landlocked so usually speed is what keeps my occupied.  My SUP sees the least lake time out of all of them.  My V14 is my go to ski unless weather is bad.  I love my OC1.  I can grind out mile after mile on it and enjoy ever moment.  My SUP only comes out after I have clocked miles on the other two.

The speed out of a ski is just unmatched by the SUP.  I can easy chug along for 6-10 miles at 7mph.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2018, 07:31:48 AM »
Eestie, you talking about this?

http://www.gfoa.org/salt

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2018, 08:45:12 AM »
zackly bean: where americans (us) were allowed to deduct all RE and state/local taxes as re to fed income tax, now it caps at 10k

the avg tax on owner-occupied NJ housing is..................10k
the avg amount of st and local taxes paid in NJ is.........20k

OUCH! people with means to do so are strongly considering departure for low RE and st loc income tax states
High end Princeton is for sale!
Rich folk who have mobility are tending away from RE purchases in NJ,
Not pretty.

Wait? I thought a tenet of conservatism was the the gov't shd not determine who wins and who loses economically?? Well this new tax law seems to be a well-designed initiative to make residents of high tax blue state lose. to punish them. wonder why????
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2018, 10:44:01 AM »
Disturbing for us in NJ, more reasons for our residents to flee...

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2018, 06:09:11 AM »
yep---and it is happening---where markets discount anticipated economics for stox and bonds, RE lags--so there hasnt been a quick mass exodus, but, over time, this is going to hurt blue higher RE and income tax states

my income and RE is in blue states---oh well, new tax plan makes me a loser

whatever the case, new tax plan serves up a windfall to those with highest incomes in red low tax states, as well as to corps who got a surprise massive one-off cash handout with which to buy back stock---which they have done. the yachts are floating higher in the water! no sure these other boats!
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2018, 07:30:15 AM »
Funny but I'm a bit of the opposite.  I started with SUP (naish glide)  and then got a surfk ski (Epic v8) and then and OC1 (Scorpius).

Fast forward two years later, here is my quiver:
Epic V14 (surfski)
Nelo 550 (surfski)
Antares (OC1)
2014 Starboard Allstar
I'm landlocked so usually speed is what keeps my occupied.  My SUP sees the least lake time out of all of them.  My V14 is my go to ski unless weather is bad.  I love my OC1.  I can grind out mile after mile on it and enjoy ever moment.  My SUP only comes out after I have clocked miles on the other two.

The speed out of a ski is just unmatched by the SUP.  I can easy chug along for 6-10 miles at 7mph.

If you don't mind me saying - going from a V8 to a V14 in just two years is a pretty dramatic progression. How often did you have to paddle the ski to achieve that ? (and were you a K1 kayaker prior to that ?).

Kwolfe

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2018, 08:26:38 AM »
ukgm,
I paddle about 5 times per week, about 5-6 miles per session.  Never kayaked before it.  I've had two V14s actually.  The first attempt after a year of surfski was definitely challenging.  Since that one, I've owned a Stellar SEL (sold it) and a Nelo 550 which I still have for rougher days. 

Those other skis taught me a lot about balance and staying centered.  Now on my second V14, I feel relaxed and very comfortable on the water.

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2018, 09:10:33 AM »
ukgm,
I paddle about 5 times per week, about 5-6 miles per session.  Never kayaked before it.  I've had two V14s actually.  The first attempt after a year of surfski was definitely challenging.  Since that one, I've owned a Stellar SEL (sold it) and a Nelo 550 which I still have for rougher days. 

Those other skis taught me a lot about balance and staying centered.  Now on my second V14, I feel relaxed and very comfortable on the water.

Bearing in mind you mentioned you have an array of different kinds of paddlecraft (OC, SUP, etc) - was that 5 times per week in just the ski do you think ?

(I ask as i'm in a V8 Pro but am very comfortable and will likely get a new boat next year so its a question of how far I push things on. The V10 sport seems almost a neglible jump form the V8 Pro but a V10 may well be too much).
« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 09:12:05 AM by ukgm »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal