Author Topic: Best time of year to visit Hood River?  (Read 18449 times)

Board Stiff

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Best time of year to visit Hood River?
« on: July 13, 2018, 07:57:07 AM »
I'd like to visit Hood River some time. When's the best time of year out there for downwinding in the Gorge, taking into account reliability of weather and water conditions, crowds, availability of rentals, shuttles, etc? I'm not looking for nuking conditions (at least my first trip!  ;D), just some good steady wind where I can catch bumps and get some nice long glides.

Thanks!

BS

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Best time of year to visit Hood River?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2018, 09:23:48 AM »
July and August are usually the best. August 18-19 is the Gorge Paddle Challenge which adds to the fun.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Board Stiff

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2018, 05:08:49 AM »
Thanks, PB! My cousin's got a house out there was trying to lure me out for the Paddle Challenge. I don't think I'll make it this year, but good to know what time of year to plan a trip when I'm able.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2018, 06:38:36 AM »
You'll love it. Right now Hood river is kind of being loved to death. Everyone "discovered" it at the same time. It helps that the town was transformed from a sleepy orchard/farming town with two main restaurants and a dead main street into the insanely vibrant place it is today by windsurfing in the 80's. The long climb to what it is today enables a flood of tourists to have a great time without completely pissing off the locals, but it's edging towards it's limit. This weekend is particularly whacked, with a lot of road work going on (including the street behind my house) and Kite$Cancer which is a huge draw, and the crowds of OC, SUP and Surfski paddlers showing up for the Gorge Downwind Champs next week, which is a HUGE event.

But the crowd is tolerable and kind of fun. Hood River is Disneyland for outdoor adventure addicts, only it's all real. And its beautiful.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal