Author Topic: ZRE vs. Quickblade Trifecta  (Read 6363 times)

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
ZRE vs. Quickblade Trifecta
« on: July 10, 2018, 09:27:11 PM »
I was wondering if anyone has used both of these paddles for flatwater and what your impressions and comparisons might be?

I’ve got a couple of oval shaft ZRE’s with a 75 sq. inch blade and really like them. But I’ve always been kind of curious about the Trifecta. Just recently a round, tapered shaft, 86 sq. inch used Trifecta came up for sale in my area. It seems pretty expensive for a used paddle, but I don’t often see them come up for sale.

Any thoughts on the ZRE vs. the Trifecta?
Infinity Blackfish 12’ 6” x 23”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
Infinity Whiplash 12' 6" x 24 1/2"
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”
Bark Competitor 12’ 6” x 29”
Red Paddle Explorer (Inflatable) 13' 2" x 30
Starboard Airline (Inflatable) 12’ 6” x 27

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: ZRE vs. Quickblade Trifecta
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2018, 04:20:20 AM »
I was wondering if anyone has used both of these paddles for flatwater and what your impressions and comparisons might be?

I’ve got a couple of oval shaft ZRE’s with a 75 sq. inch blade and really like them. But I’ve always been kind of curious about the Trifecta. Just recently a round, tapered shaft, 86 sq. inch used Trifecta came up for sale in my area. It seems pretty expensive for a used paddle, but I don’t often see them come up for sale.

Any thoughts on the ZRE vs. the Trifecta?

I'd say save your money! I have been using both for a long time.
Trifecta mostly collecting dust.

Very similar feel to ZRE only less forgiving on a non perfect execution.
I have better results with the ZRE and I just can't find a better feeling
shafts than ZRE oval tapered.
in progress...

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2018, 07:12:14 AM »
Thanks Burchas. I had a feeling you might be the one to answer this.

And I have to agree with you about the ZRE oval shafts. But I’d take it a step further. It’s the ZRE oval, kevlar braided shaft that I have really come to love. A shade bit heavier than the carbon, but the feel of the kevlar braided shaft compared to the carbon is worth the slight bit of extra weight, at least in my opinion  :)
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2018, 11:43:31 PM »
Thanks Burchas. I had a feeling you might be the one to answer this.

And I have to agree with you about the ZRE oval shafts. But I’d take it a step further. It’s the ZRE oval, kevlar braided shaft that I have really come to love. A shade bit heavier than the carbon, but the feel of the kevlar braided shaft compared to the carbon is worth the slight bit of extra weight, at least in my opinion  :)

I'm glad you enjoying he fruits of my labor ;) It took a lot of phone calls to make that kevlar happen.
since you're already on that bandwagon you might want to look at my current setup.

This 3 piece paddle really meant for travel as I've been away for the past 8 months but it serves
very well as a one piece paddle once put together with hot glue:

With 18" blade, 42" shaft and a 22" extended handle with 10" range of adjustment.
I have one shaft with the carbon/kevlar and some other shaft with various amount of flexibility
as the usual carbon shaft at 42" tend to be super stiff. comes in just under 16oz for the setup.
in progress...

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2018, 07:50:42 AM »
Very nice set up Burchas. And thank you for all your phone calls re the kevlar braided shaft. I didn’t know that came about because of you, but it’s brilliant.

I had been working with Bob on a custom, three piece, adjustable travel paddle, but he had to keep putting it off as he was so busy. I finally just went with another brand as I had to get something for an upcoming trip. Maybe someday I’ll resurrect it with him as I think it would have been a nice paddle.
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2018, 08:31:12 AM »
Burchas - could you please post a pic of your one-piece ZRE paddle? I’d like to be able to send it to Bob and say “make me one of these, please”. It’s hard to get his attention, it seems. He is so busy.

Also, how big is the handle?

And what is the diameter of the shaft?

And can you get them with a 12 degree blade angle?

Is an oval shaft an option?

I tried to buy a ZRE paddle a long time ago, from a UK retailer, but when it arrived the blade was a long way off from being symmetrical. It looked like someone had taken a detail sander to it and done a very amateurish job of reducing the blade size. So I sent it back (and the retailer looked at it and agreed with me.) I’m assuming that this wasn’t one done by Bob, so maybe the best thing would be for me to buy direct from him, even if I will get stung for import duties etc.

Thanks.

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2018, 12:05:43 PM »
Burchas - could you please post a pic of your one-piece ZRE paddle? I’d like to be able to send it to Bob and say “make me one of these, please”. It’s hard to get his attention, it seems. He is so busy.

Also, how big is the handle?

And what is the diameter of the shaft?

And can you get them with a 12 degree blade angle?

Is an oval shaft an option?

Thanks.

Yes, he's way too busy filling orders that I suspect not enough time for R&D.

It's good I have this quality of wearing people down ;D I managed to make a dent
there and get some things going like different shaft materials with built-in texture
for extra grip, flexible shafts and travel paddles.

If you order the standard product, which are top notch as is, you'll get your paddle
in a matter of days, the longer lead times comes with the custom shit.

I have a custom smaller grip that he created for me (took a while as well). He only
has a "soft" mold for it and it's not yet in production but It is by far the best ergo grip
imo. 3.5 inches wide by 1.5" thick (see pics) volume reduction from their original grip
in very noticeable even by look.

Only oval tapered shaft as standard, I don't have the standard shaft but if memory
serves right it's about 27mm in diameter on the front side and about 35mm on the oval
side (it changes with the tapering). You can probably get a custom rounded shaft if that's
your thing.

Blade standard offset is 12 degree but they do offer 0-15 as an option.

I'll post my pic for my one piece but I don't think it will do you any good. he makes so much
custom stuff he would not remember specifics like that.  every time I order custom stuff I have
to send a detailed diagram (see pic) because I know he won't be able to remember all the
stuff we discussed.
in progress...

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2018, 01:06:58 PM »
Area 10,

Just a couple of additions to Burchas’ post. The blade on Burchas’ paddle (last picture) is not the standard blade. It’s not custom, but is an option for I think something like $20 extra. You can see it on the ZRE website. I think the idea is that it reflects the sun’s rays. I have it on one of my paddles and on the rest just went with the black carbon blade.

As for the 12 degree blade angle, you might want to talk to Bob about this. And Burchas, please add anything on this that I get wrong, as I’m stretching my memory a bit. I originally had a Werner paddle (then the Nitro, now renamed as the Trance). I had at one time tried the Werner Grand Prix, which was advertised as having a 12 degree blade angle. I just didn’t care at all for the Grand Prix. Can’t say for sure it was the blade angle, but I just didn’t like the paddle. In any case, when I was ordering my first ZRE, I asked Bob for the 10 degree blade angle because of my experience with the 12 degree on the Grand Prix. During our discussion I remember Bob saying something like the 12 degree angle on his paddles was very close to the 10 degree angle on other manufacturers paddles. I believe he said they were somehow measured differently. That was some time ago and I don’t remember all the details, but Bob recommended I go with his standard 12 degree blade angle, which I did. I really liked the paddle, and any paddle I have subsequently ordered from him I just don’t even think about the blade angle any more.

Good luck with your order. I don’t think you will regret it.
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”

Stefan

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2018, 09:51:38 AM »
Burchas, what size would be most comparable to the Trifecta 86? One thing I like about the Trifecta is the even pull through the mid stroke - it doesn't load up at the catch like the V-drive or have heavy pull throughout like size comparable Wiki or other wide base paddles. How do you best describe the ZRE? Also is there a flex option in the shaft- do you configure Kevlar for more or less stiffness. Thanks
« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 10:02:22 AM by Stefan »
NSP Puma 14' x 24"
NSP 8'7" Wave
Quick Blade Trifecta 86

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2018, 11:51:58 AM »
Burchas, what size would be most comparable to the Trifecta 86? One thing I like about the Trifecta is the even pull through the mid stroke - it doesn't load up at the catch like the V-drive or have heavy pull throughout like size comparable Wiki or other wide base paddles. How do you best describe the ZRE? Also is there a flex option in the shaft- do you configure Kevlar for more or less stiffness. Thanks

For me I got more or less same results with the ZRE at around 82sqi. ZRE has an 18in blade and they
adjust the size based on width in quarter inch increments ( the range is HUGH from 5.75in to 9.75in).

It does load at the catch slightly more than the Trifecta due to fuller outline (in the tip specifically)
and less scoop overall. Just like you, I prefer a smoother catch, that's why I sand down the tip
to my desirable outline (see pic above), that takes care of it. Thus power delivery is balanced
throughout the stroke. Cleaner exit as well.

Bob has used to kevlar to add texture to the shaft (which is a real joy) and when I asked for
flex he incorporated a little more of it in the shaft, I've been paddling one of those for the
past 5 months and it quickly became my favorite shaft.

Recently he sent me a new flex shaft without the kevlar (pictured above with the unique finish)
in response to my comment that some of my fellow paddlers didn't like the textured shaft
(go figure, right?) that one can get really flexible, seemed super strong and yet still relatively
lightweight. Seems promising though I haven't been testing it for that long that I feel comfortable
singing its praise.

in progress...

Stefan

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2018, 12:59:28 PM »

For me I got more or less same results with the ZRE at around 82sqi. ZRE has an 18in blade and they
adjust the size based on width in quarter inch increments ( the range is HUGH from 5.75in to 9.75in).

It does load at the catch slightly more than the Trifecta due to fuller outline (in the tip specifically)
and less scoop overall. Just like you, I prefer a smoother catch, that's why I sand down the tip
to my desirable outline (see pic above), that takes care of it. Thus power delivery is balanced

Bob has used to kevlar to add texture to the shaft (which is a real joy) and when I asked for
flex he incorporated a little more of it in the shaft, I've been paddling one of those for the

Recently he sent me a new flex shaft without the kevlar (pictured above with the unique finish)
in response to my comment that some of my fellow paddlers didn't like the textured shaft
(go figure, right?) that one can get really flexible, seemed super strong and yet still relatively
lightweight. Seems promising though I haven't been testing it for that long that I feel comfortable
singing its praise.

So I would order an 85 sq" paddle and sand it - is that what you are saying? Thanks for the feedback
NSP Puma 14' x 24"
NSP 8'7" Wave
Quick Blade Trifecta 86

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2018, 01:22:09 PM »

singing its praise.

So I would order an 85 sq" paddle and sand it - is that what you are saying? Thanks for the feedback

That's what I did, took my 85 and sanded it like shown in the pic above. Combined with the flex kevlar
shaft this paddle get most of my l love these days.
in progress...

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
  • Super Natural British Columbia
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2019, 06:02:47 AM »
Hey Quickbeam, I have seen your post selling the two ZRE on our used sup equipment group. Was curious about it but they are cut at 72". I have also been looking at the same Trifecta 86 for sale but it comes with teh round shaft and the difference between the round shaft and oval shaft on that paddle is fairly significant.
I have an hitch regarding paddles lately :-) and I am now considering softening a little bit the catch of my Blackfish Andaman by doing a Burchas sanding trick. The blade is mounted as always on one of my Kenalu Xtuff(s) shaft and is actually really fast on flat for me.
I am just afraid that I am going to make it slower by rounding off the bottom a bit...

https://normhann.com/2017/05/gear-review-blackfish-andaman-520/
« Last Edit: April 07, 2019, 06:07:35 AM by Luc Benac »
Sunova Allwater 14'x25.5" 303L Viento 520
Sunova Torpedo 14'x27" 286L Salish 500
Naish Nalu 11'4" x 30" 180L Andaman 520
Sunova Steeze 10' x 31" 150L
Blackfish Paddles

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2019, 08:41:06 AM »
Hi Luc,

Yes, I do still have the paddles for sale. Think I might post them on the Zone also. To bad my paddles are too short for you. They really are great paddles. I’m only selling because I have way too many paddles. ZRE is still my go to paddle, I just have too many of them!
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
  • Super Natural British Columbia
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2019, 07:11:04 AM »
Well I took the plunge and rounded the Andaman to have a softer catch. Will try it next week-end.
Sunova Allwater 14'x25.5" 303L Viento 520
Sunova Torpedo 14'x27" 286L Salish 500
Naish Nalu 11'4" x 30" 180L Andaman 520
Sunova Steeze 10' x 31" 150L
Blackfish Paddles

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal