Author Topic: Jimmy Lewis 2018/19 Uboat 14*25 review  (Read 5787 times)

SupSimcoe

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • SimcoeSup
    • Email
Jimmy Lewis 2018/19 Uboat 14*25 review
« on: July 14, 2018, 07:14:52 PM »
I was able to get a few rides on the board on a few different conditions. In total I have about an hour on the board.

The new sunken deck is great for stability and the board has all the new race features like lifeguard handles and a front mounted leash mount. The deck has a pronounced angle up to the rear deck which takes a little getting used to but is great as the rear has a large amount of volume for pivot turning stability

The new hull Has a flat front rocker with a rounded profile which transitions to a flatter area and then into the single concave for the rear 1/2 and the rocker in the rear third is quite pronounced which is great for riding bumps.

I have been out in flat with a few large boat wakes and never felt like I was going to go swimming as it has great secondary stability. On the flat it has great glide and is very fast. Unfortunately my main board is a JL Rail 14* 26.5 and it is about 1mph faster in most conditions.

I was out in a headwind with 6-10inch waves/chop today with mixed direction waves. I never  had any issues with the board wanting to go with the side waves and it always kept coarse. Going 8nto waves is effortless as the waves break over the front and he board does not lose a beat.

Turning around and going with the waves is great as the rear rocker and volume are perfect for catching waves and if your not fast enough getting back the front has a pronounced peak and a lot of volume to pop out of a pearl quickly.

My average speed without killing myself into a 5-10k headwind and small waves was 5.5mph and downwind was over 6. When I decided to do race pace I was easily.5mph faster. I think I would only get faster as I learned the feel of the board.

If I had the extra funds I would definitely get this board and I think it would be great in all but major downwind conditions on the Great Lakes lakes as the waves on the lakes can get rather steep with little room between that even the huge rocker of my rail has a hard time with unless I am very far back.

SUP Lake Simcoe
Clearwood VLZ 14*23 hollow wood- self-built
Starboard 2021 Sprint 14*19.75
Kenalu Mana 82
Quickblade UV 82 Carbon
SUP Reviews  http://simcoesup.blogspot.ca/

FloridaWindSUP

• Sunset Status
  • Marine Biologist, Riviera Paddlesurf Ambassador
    • View Profile
    • James' Blog
Re: Jimmy Lewis 2018/19 Uboat 14*25 review
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2018, 06:22:06 AM »
Looks awesome. Very similar hull channels and nose shape to the new dugout Fanatic Strike 14x25. Manufacturers seem to be converging on some flatwater designs that are proven to work well for speed and stability.
14x23 Riviera RP
14x27.25 Fanatic Falcon
11'8 Exocet WindSUP
10'4 Angulo WindSUP
...and a bunch of windsurf stuff

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2018, 02:19:49 PM »
Very nice thanks for the info SupSimcoe :)

SupSimcoe

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • SimcoeSup
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2018, 05:27:01 PM »
I forgot one pic that lets you see the rocker a bit better
SUP Lake Simcoe
Kenalu Mana 82
Quickblade UV 82 Carbon

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2018, 06:02:01 PM »
Very interesting design. I’m not sure that it looks too much like other boards - that nose looks like it could be quite distinct. I wonder how a reverse bow like that works when sprinting at full pace though. And I’d like to see the board being paddled, up close. A couple of past JL models (but not the switchblade) tended to drag their butts a bit IMO.

I really hope that this is as good as it looks. The JL boards are so well-built, usually, and are competitively priced compared to eg. Starboard.

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2018, 03:12:51 PM »
I like everything else except the reverse nose design. They should made it neutral or like the lahui kai or NSP sonic & new 2019 Caroline or sunova allwater etc.

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2018, 03:57:19 AM »
A reversed bow like that makes sense when on you're own. Whether its able to behave itself in chop of a draft train is unclear. Like others are saying, we now seem to be converging for the time being on a type of design.

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2018, 03:30:51 PM »
Well, we’ll see. Some reverse bow boards can draft ok. Will it live up to its name if you sprint it real hard though? Up periscope?

I absolutely love the colour scheme though, and I’m glad the bottom is white so you can turn it over in the sun or on top of the van: that lovely deep blue (with a black deck pad) is going to get a bit warm in bright sun.

SupSimcoe

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • SimcoeSup
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2018, 10:55:44 AM »
The pictures do not due the paint any service. It is a great metal flake blue that has an amazing look when in the sun.

I had the board in two direction wave chop without issue and the rear rocker allows you to get the nose out of the water if really needed so that the round bottom allows the waves to pass under like a boof nose board.
SUP Lake Simcoe
Kenalu Mana 82
Quickblade UV 82 Carbon

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal