Author Topic: Is the SUP industry tanking?  (Read 27040 times)

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Is the SUP industry tanking?
« on: July 10, 2018, 11:35:45 AM »
I'm seeing "cheapo boards flooding the market", not as many SUP events, not many SUPs showing around my home breaks, Dogpatch the only break that is still loaded with SUPs, SUP shops selling off, others disappearing.  WUWT?  I'm not worried about it because SUP is here to stay in one form or another.  But I was interested in opinions on the health of the industry.  Is the SUP boom over?  Will the general public be moving on to other fads leaving only a remnant of us dedicated SUPers to carry on the sport?
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 11:55:25 AM by Zooport »
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
Re: Is the SUP industry tanking?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2018, 11:47:58 AM »
On trips to SoCal in the last three years I see relatively little evidence of SUS. Nothing but some Corky Carrolls in the Hobie stores, only some race boards at Infinity. Even lightly represented at the surf spots. I know there are Zoners with more complete knowledge, but this is my observation from the outside.  SUPs absence from the landscape relative to the population was striking.
RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2018, 01:16:34 PM »
I wouldn't use the word 'tanking', more like 'settling' or 'adjusting'. The West Coast race scene has shrank almost back to wear it started. Hobie is out of the race board business. Riviera is out of the SUP business. Infinity is hanging in there with a loyal local racing and surfing crowd. I would imagine everyone on the west coast's numbers are down. As far as the recreational scene goes, SUP's have found their place among the kayaks and canoes. Great fun, easy to rent, and the harbor is full of them everyday. For those who want to race still, the outrigger clubs have their ocean series races throughout the year, with hundreds of SUP entries. There are groups of paddlers every morning who meet in our local harbor and paddle 3 or 4 miles daily. Costco is still selling a lot of SUP's.
SUP is not going away like windsurfing did in SoCal in the 80's. It's here to stay.

In places like Hawaii where they have a unique micro economy, it seems to be still going strong. They have downwind races and island to island waterman paddles that are part of their culture, not so much a trend. Here in SoCal I still see interest in racing with newcomers. They will maintain the interest in racing locally, and keep it alive. Now that there are less people making race boards, it will just strengthen the few companies that are still making them. 
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

Subber

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2018, 01:36:19 PM »
Everyone is moving over to Foiling!
 8)
Jimmy Lewis Black & Blue Noserider 10'1"x31"x4.25," 164 liters, 24 lbs, 1 box
Pearson Laird Surftech Longboard 10'6"x23"x29.75"x18"x4.375," 154 liters, 24 lbs, 3 boxes
Takayama Ali'i II Surftech 11'x21.375”x28.5”x17.25”x 4.25,” 162 liters, 26 lbs, 3 boxes

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2018, 01:43:41 PM »
 8)

Yes, it seems.
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

connector14

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2018, 02:24:43 PM »
" Now that there are less people making race boards, it will just strengthen the few companies that are still making them. "

I hope that is the case. Once one has experienced paddling a variety of board designs one soon gets a desire to use what works best. I think using the term "race board" really puts off many potential buyers. I have many friends that have zero interest in racing but still like the idea of standup paddling. Their lack of experience and exposure leads them to believe that anything called a "race board" is going to be too difficult or inappropriate for general use. This is where a great rental and lesson facility like for example: Big Winds in Hood River does an excellent job of presenting the options and detailing the differences and matching folks to the right product for their use.
As for growth of SUP,  I can only speak from what I see here on Hood Canal, WA. It is very seasonal and I haven't seen any increase in the number of paddlers out. Kayaking is more prevalent and I think that speaks to the fact that it is much easier for most folks. You so many "cheap" plastic kayaks....but also a good number of sleek, expensive boats out...especially with groups that show up in the summer for events. The local resort Alderbrook Inn sponsors an annual Saint Paddles Day event....but the weather is often still pretty iffy for most and it doesn't draw a large crowd...just the usual diehards from the Puget Sound area. I paddle year round...so I guess I am a diehard....and I now have 4 boards and 4 kayaks....so I am doing my part to keep the shops in business :).......
"never leave the dock without your paddle"
Imagine Rocket 14 ...my new favorite, smooth and fast and lite
2018 Red Paddle 14 x 27 Elite
2014 Bark Dominator 14....smooth and quiet
2014 Imagine Connector 14...the "barge"

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2018, 02:39:30 PM »
Yup, definitely foiling is taking over the world and maybe oneday I'll have a go.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2018, 03:41:41 PM »
 8)
Not quite. I bet foiling goes the way of windsurfing and kite boarding. Big learning curve, cost lots of money, and you need lots of time on your hands to practice. The first part doesn't bother me, but the money and time does. There are a handful of kiter's in our neck of the woods. No windsurfers at all. I'm actually torn between spending money on an OC-1 or a Foil set up. About the same cost, but a bigger learning curve with the foil. Honestly, I'd probably use the OC-1 way more.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2018, 04:10:15 PM »
It took much longer than normal since SUP as a general sport was born in a recession, but nearly every sport goes through an unsustainable growth cycle that dies back to something real when people discover it's more difficult than sitting on the couch playing video games.

Racing was always weird. How does a sport that is hardly visible in a google trend, with all the spectator excitement of race walking or ultimate Frisbee,  support international racing with big purses. Answer: Not for long. Toss in goofy rules that eliminated half the potential participants and a focus on pros that alienated the bulk of the racers (After the splashy elite podium celebration comes the announcement: "Your medal is in that pile over there, you know where you finished so be sure to take the right one").

There will still be some survivors. Those that know how to market, those that know how to give a little love back, those that present an interesting challenge. But yeah. As expected. The easy stuff is over, now it gets tougher. And smaller.

The selloff is the chinese crap board dudes finding no market for the last four containers they bought and now they need to unload and exit. Bye, bye. Won't miss you.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 04:13:56 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Weasels wake

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2018, 04:52:07 PM »
 8)
Not quite. I bet foiling goes the way of windsurfing and kite boarding. Big learning curve, cost lots of money, and you need lots of time on your hands to practice. The first part doesn't bother me, but the money and time does. There are a handful of kiter's in our neck of the woods. No windsurfers at all. I'm actually torn between spending money on an OC-1 or a Foil set up. About the same cost, but a bigger learning curve with the foil. Honestly, I'd probably use the OC-1 way more.
Agree 100%, you used great examples, windsurfing peaked in the early to mid nineties, kite boarding, from what I can tell in my neck of the coast, peaked about 3 years ago, but both of those sports are still alive.  Foiling in windsurfing is not new, that started back in the late 80's but has gained a resurgence lately because of kite foiling and better foils.  So foiling is kind of like a new way to look at older sports, but it too will also peak, any maybe sooner than later, can't really tell yet.  Everything peaks, I've got a couple of friends who went to kite foiling but quit after getting it wired, they got board with not moving their feet around, just standing there.  I'm sure that applies to kite foiling more than other types of foiling though.
It takes a quiver to do that.

digger71

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2018, 05:10:25 PM »
...with all the spectator excitement of race walking or ultimate Frisbee

My first thought was that ultimate frisbee had to be a lot more exciting to watch, and then Google told me there was actually a professional league for it!  Certainly no purses or much of an audience, but their highlights are much better than SUP :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7h5nNYyH8M

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
  • Super Natural British Columbia
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2018, 05:22:24 PM »
I think that it is time to hold on to your favourite boards and really consider your next purchase. There are some many quality boards that can change hands between aficionados of the sport.
Sunova Allwater 14'x25.5" 303L Viento 520
Sunova Torpedo 14'x27" 286L Salish 500
Naish Nalu 11'4" x 30" 180L Andaman 520
Sunova Steeze 10' x 31" 150L
Blackfish Paddles

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2018, 07:28:42 PM »
^ Related, I just sold two nice All Stars, which I liked, but also feel relieved to not be trapped owning too many boards if the used market goes south. As is kind of being described in this and the "Cheapo boards flooding the market" threads. The days of 'renting' boards through buying and reselling at will may be gone.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 07:33:43 PM by Dusk Patrol »
RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2018, 07:51:44 PM »
Tanked.

3 years ago. We're just pilots of the ghost ship.

I'm glad. You can still buy customs and there's enough Chinese boards to handle the inland crowd. We're fine. Small, but fine. I didn't start because it was popular. Did you guys?

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2018, 11:55:50 PM »
^ Related, I just sold two nice All Stars, which I liked, but also feel relieved to not be trapped owning too many boards if the used market goes south. As is kind of being described in this and the "Cheapo boards flooding the market" threads. The days of 'renting' boards through buying and reselling at will may be gone.

In a market where you'll be lucky to recoup 50% of the retail price after 12 months is pretty high rental anyway.

* Recent Posts

post Re: GPT 5, Sam Altman, What's coming
[Random]
PonoBill
March 17, 2024, 05:30:44 PM
post Re: 2024 North Mode Pro wings:
[Classifieds]
cnski
March 17, 2024, 05:09:04 PM
post Re: HOT Chicks on Stand Up Paddle Boards!
[SUP General]
burchas
March 17, 2024, 08:50:00 AM
[SUP General]
Night Wing
March 16, 2024, 07:02:05 PM
[SUP General]
blueplanetsurf
March 16, 2024, 03:28:57 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 14, 2024, 12:38:42 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 13, 2024, 07:59:28 PM
post Re: FS - Ocean Rodeo Glide A-Series Wings (3m/ 4m / 5m), USA
[Classifieds]
StellaBlu
March 12, 2024, 07:27:21 AM
post FS - Kalama Barracuda
[Classifieds]
VB_Foil
March 11, 2024, 05:43:58 PM
post Re: Vision Pro
[Random]
Bean
March 11, 2024, 03:46:42 PM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 09, 2024, 11:06:32 AM
post Happy International Women's Day, lady zoners!
[General Discussion]
LaPerouseBay
March 08, 2024, 07:28:47 PM
[Random]
Admin
March 08, 2024, 04:45:53 AM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 06, 2024, 11:00:24 PM