Author Topic: Advice needed on quad fin setup for a 2018 Blackfish  (Read 10161 times)

oceanAddict

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Advice needed on quad fin setup for a 2018 Blackfish
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2018, 10:42:33 AM »

By the way the side fins can be used with the centre too according to LA

Yep, I'm aware of it and I asked about possible options in my post with pics above. I currently run Infinity's single fin and inserted a side fin just for photo-op. Not getting a lot of traction here, so I might repost my question as a new topic.
Infinity Blackfish, SIC Bullet Air Glide, Sunova Point Break #003, Sunova Soul

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2018, 11:15:34 AM »
is this a custom board or production? if Production you're probably good with the white inserts.
You'll feel the difference if somehow these inserts are not the right for the board, which is rare
in the case of production. If custom it is more possible.

if not aligned you'll feel like you're dragging a seaweed and the board will decelerate very fast,
you'll know immediately something's wrong if you rode the board as a single fin, if all good, you
probably won't feel the difference in flat water, in rough water the difference is more
substantial as the twins really help in eliminating the side to side roll.

If riding with twins, the 6 inch center LA fin (the one in the picture) is a good start.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 11:17:11 AM by burchas »
in progress...

oceanAddict

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2018, 04:44:35 PM »
Thank you burchas, very informative. 

I'm almost positive it was production board so I will start with the combo you suggested. I already tried to run a combination of ventral and Infinity single, now I'm gonna try all in :)
Infinity Blackfish, SIC Bullet Air Glide, Sunova Point Break #003, Sunova Soul

Ripple

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2018, 07:05:45 PM »
p.s. Disclaimer. Ignore that center fin, obviously, I'm not going to use these together ;)

I was just replying to this, where you seem to think that they cannot be used together because of the word “obviously “ and I was informing you that you can in fact use them all together in a 4 fin configuration.

By the way, that centre fin is not an LA, it’s a Stavron fin which is the stock infinity fin.

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2018, 07:39:50 PM »
By the way, that centre fin is not an LA, it’s a Stavron fin which is the stock infinity fin.

Yes, the 6 inch fin in the picture above the picture of the Stavron it is the LA fin, just
to make sure everyone is on the same page.

The other center fin in that picture is the Thresher (5.75 inch), Another option if you
want your tail looser.
in progress...

Ripple

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2018, 08:00:12 PM »
Yep sure, I was just pointing out that the Stavron centre is also sold as part of a 4 fins kit so I would assume it could work fine with other side fins too.

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2018, 08:16:56 PM »
Yep sure, I was just pointing out that the Stavron centre is also sold as part of a 4 fins kit so I would assume it could work fine with other side fins too.

Yes, though I've never tried it, I'm sure it's going to work. I'm going with the 6 Stinger inch
due to the fact it is shallow yet still maintains a wide base (assuming he's going for speed).

Shallower fin have less drag and will provide less tail "suction" than a larger area, deeper fin
hence even less drag. So assuming stability is not an issue, this setup provides a good start.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 08:26:36 PM by burchas »
in progress...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal