Author Topic: cheapo boards flooding the market  (Read 8895 times)

Weasels wake

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: cheapo boards flooding the market
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2018, 09:15:29 AM »
Why be upset if prices are going down, or if inexpensive boards are available?  There are plenty of people who want to paddle, bike, etc who don’t have enough money for gear.  Sure, it sucks if it means you can’t sell one of your boards for a fair price.  I’m just saying please keep in mind that there are poor people who would love to have even one cheap board.

Bummer when I see these type of responses on this message board more and more lately. The aloha is wearing off here. People keep trolling and picking fights.

Spirit, he is just bummed cause he cant sell his old boards. I have the same exact issue here in OR. I have three nice boards for around $500 and cannot sell them due to a deluge of WAI SUP and many other cheap sups.

Nobody is saying poor people should'nt surf. sheesh. Cant we all hold hands now?
-red
Playing devil's advocate here.
A good trade war with China could help solve the current situation, the cheapies could become rare, forcing people to buy local, and raise the price of used boards back up.
Reminder, "playing devil's advocate".
It takes a quiver to do that.

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2018, 09:37:06 AM »
Yes, a trade war between the US and China is definitely the solution to everything in the US, especially the Chinese making stuff that people want to buy. Much better for US citizens to be prevented from buying what they want, at prices they can afford. After all, it’s the land of the free, right? So as a Brit, I say “go for it”. What could possibly go wrong? ;) :):)

Make America more expensive again! :)

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2018, 10:36:36 AM »
Ahhh bummer!  And thanks for alerting me to this predicament.   I have 3 boards for sale and no bites.   Here in the SF bay area the dominant add is for Mike Doyle $600 sups, no idea who/where/what these boards are.

Solutions:  Maybe put a low price in the title,  and then start the description with a plea to buy a board that works made by a family run waterman shop?   Explain that you had to lead with a low price in response to the cheap flooding of questionable boards?   A PSA to save folks from being swindled?

Thoughts?

Then put the actual higher price in the ad? lol good luck with that.

If folks are buying SUP boards as a financial investment they are very confused about economics.

Kind of like buying a timeshare as a financial investment. 
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2018, 12:54:11 PM »
Why be upset if prices are going down, or if inexpensive boards are available?  There are plenty of people who want to paddle, bike, etc who don’t have enough money for gear.  Sure, it sucks if it means you can’t sell one of your boards for a fair price.  I’m just saying please keep in mind that there are poor people who would love to have even one cheap board.

Bummer when I see these type of responses on this message board more and more lately. The aloha is wearing off here. People keep trolling and picking fights.

Spirit, he is just bummed cause he cant sell his old boards. I have the same exact issue here in OR. I have three nice boards for around $500 and cannot sell them due to a deluge of WAI SUP and many other cheap sups.

Nobody is saying poor people should'nt surf. sheesh. Cant we all hold hands now?
-red

Red, I didn’t mean to come across as picking a fight.  I know what’s it like to not be able to sell something decent because something cheaper and new has caught someone’s eye.  I get riled sometimes, and then I respond perhaps without thinking it through.  This is a great forum——almost everything I know about SUP, I learned here.  I’ve also experienced some wonderful generosity from a few Zoners.  I feel sure the aloha is still here.

OUTSIDEWAVE

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2018, 02:55:25 PM »
Well i managed to sell my board for a fair price and I am happy the buyer was thrilled. In my mind the  essence is  cheap is cheap  good quality is good qaulity and  that is timeless.  IMHO.
SEA BIRDS THEY DO TOUCH AND GO AS THE WORLD JUST TANGOES BY.... SO I SADDLE UP MY SEAHORSE WITH MY FLYROD IN MY HAND.... 10'3 King custom  10'6"  c4 da beachboy

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2018, 06:17:24 PM »
I've only successfully sold one SUP board in my fairly long experience. Mostly because I suck at selling stuff, but also because I can't describe anything I have as "Pristine". Fortunately, I have daughters and friends who need boards so I unload a number that way, and then there's just paying it forward.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

805StandUp

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2018, 03:38:40 PM »
Well i managed to sell my board for a fair price and I am happy the buyer was thrilled. In my mind the  essence is  cheap is cheap  good quality is good qaulity and  that is timeless.  IMHO.

Agree--glad you found the right buyer.  I found the flood of pop-outs didn't seem to affect selling 3 boards I did on Craigslist a little while back because there is a dearth of good quality surf SUPs posted.  It just took a few weeks to find the right buyer and to price it fairly.  That said, I know if I tried to sell my 14' it will be for $1500-2000 less than I paid for it--yikes!

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2018, 04:56:49 PM »
That new car just depreciated 25% as soon as you closed the deal and fired that rascal up. A

I had less success selling boards in the past as, in retrospect, my prices were too high.

Have sold three boards recently. Hate Craigslist, so I take 'em to a shop with folks I have known forever. They get a commission, I get cash, and some lucky rascal gets a really nice stick.

Even a carbon custom gotta be below a grand. 800 - 900 seems to be the sweet spot.

Raceboards different. I see the prices on the mullet. They are all crazy IMHO. Sold a mint JP for 1300, a Starby Race for 1350, and an Imagine Rocket  for an incredible 350!!
« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 05:16:49 PM by mrbig »
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

805StandUp

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2018, 08:51:07 AM »
Agree.  The three surf SUPs I sold were all at or around $900 which seems to be the sweet spot.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2018, 08:48:37 PM »
Lots of these in storage around here.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

johnysmoke

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2018, 06:20:45 AM »
I'm seeing inflatables for less than $100. Wtf are these?
http://isenjoybeds.com
SIC F14
Bark Eliminator
C4 Beachboy

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2018, 09:13:22 AM »

Don't know, but I sure wouldn't want to go too far from shore on one.
Infinity Blackfish 12’ 6” x 23”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
Infinity Whiplash 12' 6" x 24 1/2"
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”
Bark Competitor 12’ 6” x 29”
Red Paddle Explorer (Inflatable) 13' 2" x 30
Starboard Airline (Inflatable) 12’ 6” x 27

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2018, 10:17:41 AM »

My friend just picked up a couple of those as a cheap way to transport propane.  He just lashes them down to the roof of his RV.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2018, 10:31:33 AM »

My friend just picked up a couple of those as a cheap way to transport propane.  He just lashes them down to the roof of his RV.
They'll scare the shit out of you if you leave them in the sun. All the sudden.....BAM!!!! Like a tire blowing out.
Last year some campers pulled their brand new cheapo inflatable sup out of a box, pumped it up and leaned it against their cabin. About 15 minutes later....Boom!  It blew some shingles off the cabin wall and made a huge dust cloud.  ::)
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2018, 02:38:20 PM »
not only cheapo brand are poorly made, some big brands are also poorly made.
Looks can be deceiving until one day you find out how its made and whats inside that skin :o

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal