Author Topic: My Local Break...  (Read 4685 times)

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
My Local Break...
« on: July 08, 2018, 06:51:52 AM »
...is effed! Beach fill/replenishment is right on my beach now. There's no way to access it until they move on which will probably be about 2 or 3 days away. Not sure how this will affect the waves but it's usually not good. And right when I'm about to begin schooling a foil. Have a feeling the waves will be breaking MUCH closer than normal (aka nasty shorebreak).
The dredge company (Weeks Marine Inc) that's doing it is quite disliked around here. When they first set up here a few weeks ago I was done surfing one morning and saw one of the workers had removed the orange plastic fencing they use for barriers. He tossed about 40 zip ties right into the sand near the dunes. I was so pissed and picked em all up. I reported it to the DEP and they sent some officers to my house for a report. Next day there were two brand new recycling containers up there. But Surf City provides recycling containers at every beach access and the ties were thrown all over quite close to the municipal cans. Also a coupla yrs ago the actually were moving one of the porta-pots and it fell over into the surf! Funny, my buddy who works in Trenton monitoring all environmental violations saw my name come up on his computer a few minutes after I made the report.

Video here of the mess
MVI_8745 by surfercook, on Flickr

« Last Edit: July 08, 2018, 06:53:52 AM by surfercook »
One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"
9'11" PSH Hull Ripper-145 ltr    
9'3" PSH  Hull Ripper- 130ltr 
8'0" Corevac Assassin -127 ltr   
Paddles- Carbonerro PRO SERIES 85 & Riviera Camo at 70"

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
Re: My Local Break...
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2018, 07:29:09 AM »
We went through beach sand/replenishment in early January of 2018 down at Galveston Island. We have twice the beach area we used to have. Luckily for us, it didn't change much concerning our waves.

All along the upper Texas coast, the water depth is very shallow. The contour of the bottom is flat like a dinner plate and it extends out at least 200 yards off the beach. The small waves that were closer to the beach are now further out because there is twice the beach area, but they are still the same small waves as before our beach sand/replenishment.

BTW, the size of the waves starting to break near the shore where your beach restoration is taking place, down at Galveston, Bolivar, (Texas) where I go; our waves are normally "one-half" the height your's are if the wind is below 10 mph.
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

iopsailor

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2018, 11:08:13 AM »
Well that’s great timing, Marc.  The Turtle Ladies would never allow that here during nesting season. I’m surprised the Chamber of Commerce  didn’t stop it. Once the equipment is off the beach, one or two good storms will put things back right.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2018, 11:24:21 AM »
Bulldozers are just natures way of replenishing and restoring our beaches ::)
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

LBsup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2018, 02:28:42 PM »
Sucks! But give em hell Marc, good for you!
Black Project Texcarbon, 85 blade, 69
8’10 Sunova Ghost, 137L

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2018, 08:01:17 AM »
This is 24 hrs later. I now have a football field to cross to surf waves breaking in a good 50 yards closer than before the fill!

IMG_8757 by surfercook, on Flickr

SurfCityBeachFill2_18thSt_2018 by surfercook, on Flickr
One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2018, 10:17:48 AM »
Good on ya for pushing back on the beach dumping. And about the fate of your cherished south jersey point break..... they’ll do their best but in the end ma earth will redistribute the sand as she always does.

Look at it as a good surf pause to put in the days needed to get the foil flying.

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2018, 08:56:02 PM »
First time out after the completed fill. Break is kinda funky now....fast ones to the inside w/some nasty shorepound. First session in five days. Was letting that nasty cut from my first foil go heal up. Considered another noob foil sesh but quickly dismissed it. Was too gnarly for a noob.

Was testing s/w for SOLOSHOT today.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=18A9P9F9KfskqF0udn3H9qS2-XIXARBBs
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 09:53:03 PM by surfercook »

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2018, 02:07:30 PM »
Fill ops are reaching the end of town and are finishing up. Scored some real nice waves off the new "Point". Swell was kina weak though but nice shape w/a decent period of 8 secs (for windswell). Some interesting beach profiles are helping the waves refract and interact w/the new topography. Would be interesting to see a proper SSE at about 3-4' and a longer period of at least 12-14 secs.

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2018, 06:14:56 AM »
The waves and rides at the "Bay" the fill created.

https://youtu.be/ExTbvboWtpQ

LBsup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2018, 06:52:43 AM »
Nice video Marc.  Your lucky having the “bay” setup that’s definitely unusual and I’ve unfortunately not seen that up hear in Monmouth county.  Beachfill is usually a straight line with poor shorebreak waves.
Black Project Texcarbon, 85 blade, 69
8’10 Sunova Ghost, 137L

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2018, 09:37:03 AM »
had to bump this, cookie--same thing is well under way in atlantic/long beach are on western LI

theyve added appx 100yds of "beach" along a couple miles of shoreline--seems theyve trucked in nice white powder sand for the top of what get dredge from about 1/2 mile offshore--we've had no big surf of recent, but, where they filled in, as of now what waves weve had are not ridable---bascially now there's beach that drop off to pretty deep water--could be after a few solid storms it reverts?? we shall see

of concern to me is what they are dredging up--some is sand but most is mud--leaves the water black and smelly--and triggers my paranoia--claims are that the mud is clean--supposedly come from deep holes--whatever the case, there is no doubt some gnarly crap mixed into sediment where they are dredging-a half mile off of queens? a drone's throw from jfk airport--shuttered navy installations all over the place---

after surfing last week, within 12 hrs, i got a minor sore throat, earache, gum infection--it's all clear now, and i just "let it go away", (always try that before seeing a doc) but makes me wonder--planning to surf ankle slappers tomorrow at dawn--gonna do the usual applying rubbing alcohol to any cuts immediately upon getting out--but hope nothing else i shd be doing--like staying out of that water

Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2018, 09:50:32 AM »
No prob on the bump, eastie. If possible post a coupla shots of your new fill profile. I definitely think our water down here in southern Ocean County is a few notches cleaner than Long Beach, NY!
Luckily my break is starting to come back and yesterday it had a beautiful scalloped/curved profile that helped the waves peel off perfectly. Hopefully will edit that sesh l8r today.
vlcsnap-2018-08-30-20h52m11s261 by surfercook, on Flickr

vlcsnap-2018-08-30-20h54m56s317 by surfercook, on Flickr

vlcsnap-2018-08-30-20h55m25s002 by surfercook, on Flickr

vlcsnap-2018-08-30-20h52m45s057 by surfercook, on Flickr

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2018, 11:19:08 AM »
nice clean lil slappers--hope to get some in the morning--ill see if i can get some pics and post--heck ill try to post this screenshot of the surfline cam--anyone who's seen before will be shocked--like, where did the 100 yard long 8 ft high jetties that frame this break go?
« Last Edit: August 31, 2018, 11:21:04 AM by eastbound »
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2018, 03:12:21 PM »
post this screenshot of the surfline cam--anyone who's seen before will be shocked--like, where did the 100 yard long 8 ft high jetties that frame this break go?
That is a jetty party pooper of a fill! Long Beach jetties are one of the best things about surfing on Long Island. Hard to believe it's almost three yrs since I made the trip up there.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal