Author Topic: C4 9'3" Sub Vector - Review  (Read 33282 times)

kurtr

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Re: C4 9'3" Sub Vector - Review
« Reply #45 on: May 09, 2009, 06:49:44 PM »
Nice soundtrack, Tunico!  8)

Bob from Brazil

• Sunset Status
  • www.surftech.com.br
    • MSN Messenger - roloar08@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: May 11, 2009, 09:52:31 AM »
My two cents…

I think this kind of board comparisons are great: swapping similar boards on a particular surf session... I can’t see a better way to evaluate a board than doing that… However, some aspects must be taken in consideration when doing so…Perhaps fin setup would be the #1 for that matter…

I had the opportunity to ride both Tunico’s board (SV 9’3) and my board (PSH 9’3 ripper) on that very same day Tunico shot that video (nice vid, btw). Waves were knee high, low wind in pretty much glassy conditions…Oh, yeah! That was a beach break…

Needless to say that the SV has lots of buoyancy and it is really easy on tracking waves… However, I did felt it was a little bit stiff on surfing and I’d say that was due to fin array (2 + 1 with center fin all the way back in the fin box). That was Tunico’s personal preference (as I imagine tracking with less yaw was more important for him). I can’t remember for sure what his center fin was (I believe it’s a 7.5”, or something like that) but I do remember it has a large base and it has lots of rake. Under that small conditions I’d have chosen a center fin with less area and forwarded it on the fin box (or maybe a real thruster setup) but that’s just my personal preference.

That day my PSH 9’3 was configured with a FCS H-2 Large (10° cant angle) on the sides and a 7” cutaway carbon fiber fin with small base area and less rake (more pivot stile), positioned in the middle of the box, 1” forwarded. Needless to say the PSH 9’3 felt a lot looser on those small waves. I must say that I can track that board pretty much well as it’s easy to sink the rails while tracking and therefore keep it straight.

As I said to Tunico, if someone is considering a SUP trip, the SV 9’3 would be the ticket in a one board quiver. If you ask me to trade my PSH 9’3 for a SV 9’3, I’d say “no, thanks…” because I still have other boards that would fill my needs. On the other hand, I don’t feel confident enough to take a PSH 9’3 as my only board on a trip, but I think the SV 9’3 would get the job done…

That was my 2 cents.

Mahalo from Brazil,
Bob.

Bob from Brazil

• Sunset Status
  • www.surftech.com.br
    • MSN Messenger - roloar08@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: May 11, 2009, 10:10:51 AM »
Man, I forgot to add this… I loved the deck design fo the SV 9’3, specially when it blends at the tail into a double barrel concave. It’s really nice to feel that your back foot is placed where it should be, and it sure provides more grip in radical turns.

Tunico Lage

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 11, 2009, 11:43:18 AM »
That was Tunico’s personal preference (as I imagine tracking with less yaw was more important for him).

Yes! Since I'm not able to be in the water everyday (you know the reason, Bob  ::)  ), a board that tracks straight can be the difference between having a fun session, catching waves, and a frustrating session were I end up prone-paddling to catch waves (yes, it has happened to me  >:(  ).

I know, I know...it all comes down to paddling technique. As I improve, I imagine these issues will be less important. But for now the stability and tracking of the SV have been very good to my ego.

What I have now on the SV is a 7' center fin (all the way back in the fin box) and two 5-5in side fins. As you can see on the attached pic. there is a LOT of fin back there! In the next couple days conditions will be good here in Rio and I plan to start inching the center fin forward. Maybe reduce the size of the side fins (the board came with a set of 3-5in fins).
...or maybe not. Just leave it as it is and concentrate on putting a few more hours of paddling and surfing a small board under my belt.
I don't have the knowledge of fin angles and rake etc... all I remenber from my surfing days is: fin forward=loose turning board,  fin back=stiff turning board. Im I right??

Tunico

P.S. I'm packing my bags. Soon I will be moving from "Malibu" to "Rincon"  ;D

« Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 11:45:54 AM by Tunico Lage »

lopezwill

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 11, 2009, 02:17:00 PM »
  I have owned the 9'3" for two weeks now and have several "Go outs " under my belt.  I live in central California.  I weigh 225 lbs and 6'4".

I love the board!  For me it was just what I was looking for.  Stability and short board surfing style.  I use 2 sides plus 1 center fin.  The two side fins are 4 3/4 inch and a 7 inch Takayama "Manta" center fin.  I tried it with the fins it came with but too stiff and didn't like the shorter side fins.  The center fin was approx. 1 inch back.  I now ride it with the 7 inch fin all the way up and the two 4 3/4 side fins.  The board rips!  Very surfy with no loss of speed.

I'm going to save a lot of money with this board as I think I'll be able to use it in a variety of surf conditions.  I have not totally tapped into this boards performance yet.  It catches waves, comes off the top, keeps up speed, cuts back nicely and is stable.  Believe the hype on this one as I have had several sup's.  I think it is made for a heavier rider...maybe over 200 pounds  Try it with the middle fin all the way up and bigger side fins and I think you will not be dissappointed.  I'm saving the quad configuration for big winter surf many months away.

It does seem fragile.  I already put a ding near the nose (easy fix with solarez and two pieces of fiberglass) when I accidentally hit it hard with my paddle.  I use a paddle tape so no Chips yet but a friend of mine has several rail chips after owning his 9'3" board less than a month.  He does not use a paddle guard.  I'll put with the fragility as I'm more than relieved to own a sup I'm happy and content with.
signed...A stoked sub vector owner.

Sundancer

« Reply #50 on: May 13, 2009, 11:59:59 PM »
"Heaviness" or weight of the board is relative to the person riding it.  Remember that the C4 Sub Vector is for a guy 220 lbs +!  A guy this big has NO problem pushing this board into turns and gouging lips, which is what this board is designed to do.  I think they got the weight on this right.

I'm 160, I can have fun on this thing, but to do what its designed to do for a 220+ guy, I'm better off on their 9'6 which is 18lbs.

"Lightness" sounds like a good idea, in fact I loved a 9'3 I rode that weighed 12lbs.  But, that day it was a smooth and glassy Hawaiian 2'.  What's gonna happen when it gets windier, choppier and bigger?  My Jimmy L is too light and I can't get enough glide on that thing, and it's so easy to get blown off the top of the wave.

Tunico Lage

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 14, 2009, 05:26:09 PM »
  I'm more than relieved to own a sup I'm happy and content with.

That phrase packs a lot of content in a few words!
I feel the same.
I still own all the SUBs I ever had (4).
This one makes me feel..."home"

=======================

Greetings from "Rincon"  ;D
I even put up a new avatar to celebrate!

« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 05:45:55 PM by Tunico Lage »

WB

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 18, 2009, 01:34:17 PM »
Thank you for the answers to my earlier questions.

IN regards to the quad setup, what fins are most SubVector owners going with?

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #53 on: May 18, 2009, 02:46:27 PM »

http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php?topic=3744.0

Here is a discussion on that subject. I think SUPirate has his fins dialed in. I'd copy him. G-10 is the preferred type, BIG. I just talked to a pro surfer who Wintered in Australia. He said G-10 Futures are cherish like gold down there. The honeycomb Futures are considered poor. He said guys sand and repair cherished G-10, rather than use new honeycomb fins.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #54 on: May 24, 2009, 01:25:24 PM »

I did a lot of fin testing this weekend on my sub vector.

For front fins I tested

Vector II 450
Vector II 460
Vector II 550

For rear fins I tested

The results are:

Vector II 550s created way too much drag. Board was slower and I could feel it dragging.

Vector II 450 and 460 too close to call.

375s in the rear for tiny waves. Makes the board pivot/snap/slide and spin the best, but looses drive.

400s best all around blend of drive and looseness.

437s best for head high high waves and big driving bottom turns.

I'm going to keep 460s in the front and swap between 400s and 437s in the rear depending on wave size and power.

I also had a chance to see pro surfer Ben Bourgeois's personal Sub Vector. He's running Vector II 437s in the front and 375s in the rear. He's 140 lbs.

« Last Edit: May 24, 2009, 01:28:52 PM by DW »

CHill

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Ohana Paddle Sports
« Reply #55 on: May 24, 2009, 01:43:04 PM »
DW,

Was Ben riding the board or did you only see the board, will be interesting to see how many people jump on the SUP, mostly shortboarders, after seeing or knowing that he is SUPing

Chris

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #56 on: May 24, 2009, 01:48:57 PM »
DW,

Was Ben riding the board or did you only see the board, will be interesting to see how many people jump on the SUP, mostly shortboarders, after seeing or knowing that he is SUPing

Chris

My buddie was using his board, while Ben is out of town.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal