Author Topic: Shape of wings to come!  (Read 2353 times)

SUPeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Shape of wings to come!
« on: July 05, 2018, 06:34:44 AM »
Finishing up the new Big Wing!  The lacewing method is making experimentation quick, easy and inexpensive.  Having an internal skeleton practically eliminates the need for all that expensive carbon cloth of the traditional exoskeleton.  Warning-  the process carries a high risk of addiction and chemical dependency.  Participate at your own risk. 

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Shape of wings to come!
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2018, 04:44:08 PM »
I'm still marveling at this technique. It looks so cool.

I can see how the pressure of say 200 lbs of lift is pretty low across the wing so I get that the structure is strong enough. But I'm curious about the mount point. How are the sides not just getting folded up around the fuselage? It seems like a pretty serious stress point. (Of course this is based on me just breaking a foil so please understand my curiosity. Lol)

What does the structure look like around that mount point? How much glass or carbon makes up the mount?

I have 9 layers of glass on my wing and I was considering adding 3 more just to be safe. Is the mount not as stressed as I'm thinking? I do know that my break was based on the weight being focused on a 1" thick mast section whereas the fuse mount looks to be maybe 4" long so it would spread the load a bit.

With a CNC, man, you could turn these things out fast hence my questions.

SUPeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2018, 04:33:04 AM »
Hi surfcowboy, 
I have had no failures even while river wave foiling with the added stress of boils and turbulence.  I first make a square carbon fiber tube that matches my fuselage insert.  This is created from both carbon cloth and carbon tow making sure I have all vectors covered.  The tubes have about 1/8" thick walls maybe a tad thicker.   This tube is then surrounded by a fill composed of milled fibers and microballoons, extending probably 2-2.5 inches on either side of the tube.  Look at the pics again on the Diy sup foil pages.  The original cords extend into this fill up to the tube.  I cut out the portion of cords only where the tube inserts.  Seems to be bomber.  I will know more when I test this new 32 inch wide wing.  I'm going to use 2 layers of fiberglass over the foam and fill to sand to spec followed by 2 layers of carbon 3K twill.  The substructure of carbon lacing, while very rigid, really does not show its full strength until the fill is added.  (microballoons or 2 part polyurethane foam.)

SUPeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2018, 04:36:41 AM »
Forgot to add-  Fuselage mount is about 6 inches long and is almost 1 sq in cross section.  Solid carbon. 

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2018, 09:28:09 PM »
Got it. That makes sense. You've got a ton of mass in the middle with a ton of ties into that. I'm beefing up the area near my mount a bit but good to know that 1/8" serves you well for the tube. The Slingshots seem to have about that as well.

opie

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2018, 05:00:26 AM »
Hi surfcowboy, 
I have had no failures even while river wave foiling with the added stress of boils and turbulence.  I first make a square carbon fiber tube that matches my fuselage insert.  This is created from both carbon cloth and carbon tow making sure I have all vectors covered.  The tubes have about 1/8" thick walls maybe a tad thicker.   This tube is then surrounded by a fill composed of milled fibers and microballoons, extending probably 2-2.5 inches on either side of the tube.  Look at the pics again on the Diy sup foil pages.  The original cords extend into this fill up to the tube.  I cut out the portion of cords only where the tube inserts.  Seems to be bomber.  I will know more when I test this new 32 inch wide wing.  I'm going to use 2 layers of fiberglass over the foam and fill to sand to spec followed by 2 layers of carbon 3K twill.  The substructure of carbon lacing, while very rigid, really does not show its full strength until the fill is added.  (microballoons or 2 part polyurethane foam.)

The connections are the most daunting part of a home build.  So far I haven't been happy with any of mine.

Thanks for the detailed description of your method. :)

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
April 19, 2024, 12:51:49 PM
post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
April 19, 2024, 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard