Author Topic: Oahu Trip- Outrigger- Snorkel- Surf with Ohana  (Read 2042 times)

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
Oahu Trip- Outrigger- Snorkel- Surf with Ohana
« on: June 30, 2018, 01:34:39 PM »
My in-laws live on Oahu, so going to Hawaii was kinda-of going to Grandma and Grandpa's. We'd go for a week, but I'd really only touch the water maybe one or two days and it was rarely to surf. There is always something on their house that needs repair. I know the guys at Home Depot in Pearl City well. 
This time I told my wife we are going re-discover Oahu and play tourist. We have close friends on the North Shore that we wanted to spend time with as well. It turned out to be a great trip. We had a BBQ (better than a Luau) at our friends In Waialua and it was a great party. We snorkeled at Waimea, went down 150' in a submarine, outrigger canoed in Kialua, and SUP Surfed a great local break that Robert from Blue Planet Surf hooked me up with.
When we first arrived, surf around the whole island was pretty much flat. I was hoping it would pick up before I had to leave. The day before we left, it was pouring rain and super windy. I had pretty much written out being able to surf. I had been in contact days earlier with Robert about renting boards for my whole family. I knew he was busy organizing the North Shore Challenge, so I didn't want to bother him over the weekend. My only chance to surf was going to be very early the day we leave. The problem was, none of the rental places open up super early. I text Robert to see if I could rent a board early from him? I so happened that he was going Foiling the early the next morning, and said he would bring a board and a paddle for me. He asked what board I wanted and what length paddle and he'd have it for me.
So it worked out. A swell had just hit the south shore, and Robert hooked me up with not only a perfect board, but a great local SUP friendly (foil friendly too) break!
I only have shots of me paddling out, because my GoPro ran out of memory right as I got into the lineup. Oh well, Had a great time.
Big Mahalo to Robert at Blue Planet Surf. Saved the day!   
Locals were very friendly in the lineup as well.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 01:37:14 PM by TallDude »
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
Re: Oahu Trip- Outrigger- Snorkel- Surf with Ohana
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2018, 02:38:59 PM »
Looks like you had an awesome trip. Very nice of Robert to accommodate your needs too. That is top notch service on his part. Can't beat that.

Thanks for posting your trip along with all the great photos that went along with it.
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2018, 06:36:02 PM »
That water... those waves... so nice...
...and that’s very big of you ( see what I did there  8) ) to spend your previous trips there at Home Depot.
RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2018, 08:40:31 PM »
I needed some shots of Hawaiian water right about now. Thanks man.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal