Author Topic: Lake Washington, Washington  (Read 11390 times)

deepmud

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Lake Washington, Washington
« on: June 29, 2018, 11:52:57 PM »
I went to Seattle for a week for my eldest daughter's graduation (Marine Biologist) - brought my Blue Planet iSup along. Lots of lugging for about an hour and half on the water - but I found a cool wetlands kind of in the middle of the freeways. Just down from the Japanese Garden in the UW district. Beautiful - if noisy with rush hour traffic zooming by on all sides. Spotted a few heron, an otter (really brief flash but I recognized the furry body) and some big fish in the lily pads startled me good :D

deepmud

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Lake Washington, Washington
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2018, 11:55:36 PM »
I met a local coming out as I was unloading - but only a couple of rented canoes on the water. It was a weekday and rush hour...so that was part of it :D

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2018, 07:00:22 AM »
That’s a great place to paddle and walk.  Lots of ospreys and eagles there.  There are many great places to paddle near Seattle, and summers are amazing.  Winters, not so much.

deepmud

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2018, 12:06:29 PM »
When I visit in Seattle winter it's kind of like August here :D

Part of what fascinated me was how urban this landscape was - highways swooping all around me while in "wilderness" - while here, there is a lot of wilderness and very little urban.

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2018, 12:42:51 PM »
I lived in Seattle (for the third time) for the last year.  It’s great in so many ways, but WAY too crowded and expensive.  There are amazing pockets of beauty there, though.  There’s a good chance I’ll go back.
Where is “here”?

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2018, 12:49:45 PM »
My high school buddies and I would jump off those viaducts in the summer to cool off after running through the Arboretum and Foster Island. It was about 30' high, so you'd plunge way down.  First you'd sink down over your head into the underwater weeds, then down to about your waist in ooze, then you'd pop back up.  Great times.

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2018, 02:43:42 PM »
Nice looking flat water paddling place. From looking at the pictures, I would have brought a fly rod, reel, fly lures/poppers along.

Thanks for the session report and of course, taking the time to post all of your pictures.
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

deepmud

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2018, 09:57:53 PM »
I lived in Seattle (for the third time) for the last year.  It’s great in so many ways, but WAY too crowded and expensive.  There are amazing pockets of beauty there, though.  There’s a good chance I’ll go back.
Where is “here”?

Palmer Alaska. I paddle untill the water gets too hard :D

alaska pics

https://photos.app.goo.gl/gvlBY0aUdfTWktus2

robon

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2018, 07:45:14 AM »
Cool and nice shots. I wasn't in that part of Seattle when I was there and congrats on your daughters graduation. Pretty sweet that you had that all to yourself right in the city.

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2018, 10:19:39 AM »
Where is “here”?

Palmer Alaska. I paddle untill the water gets too hard :D

alaska pics

https://photos.app.goo.gl/gvlBY0aUdfTWktus2

Beautiful!  But wow, very different from what I’m used to!

supthecreek

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2018, 11:42:27 AM »
Bi-ways under highways.... most excellent!

Love these pictures!

deepmud

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2018, 11:33:27 PM »
Thanks for all the views and comments :D
PDXMike - my aunt used to jump off those unused highways too - a LONG time ago :D

Creek I am alway pleased when you like them - I enjoy yours so much it's cool to give back. I wish I had titled the thread Byways under Highways :D
Nightwing, I think you must be the most polite person - you always comment nicely on threads. I'm glad you enjoy them.

Here's a link to the Google album - higher resolution, and 132 pics - sometimes I go a bit nuts....

Sony RX100II in a waterproof case takes NICE images....  https://photos.app.goo.gl/g8VMxDiTSCAAdejz7

SpiritforEarth - I'm glad you enjoyed those - it's not always winter - I have been out in the cold stuff a few times for work so got a neat collection of pics. Most of those were from 2002 on an old Olympus 2 megapixel camera.
For fun - More Alaska Photos :D  https://photos.app.goo.gl/QyagM1u9F4dPcnzq5

Robon - thanks! She's refocusing her life as she nears 30 I guess - finally going for what she really wants to be doing. You are never too old and it's never too late.

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2018, 07:28:45 AM »
Those are great photographs!   I couldn’t quite tell what the animal was in that short video in the Alaska pictures??  That was a cool overlay of Alaska on Europe.
Washington and Alaska share grey skies and natural beauty.  Nice.  I had a hard time last winter with the grey.  It’s so low and oppressive.  I’m still looking for my stopping place!

deepmud

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2018, 10:28:49 PM »
Alaska is worth a visit or 3 :)

If you are not able to live with clouds and loooong winters you won't be landing here but it's truly amazing ehen it's good. We have a lot of summer only people snd taxes are great for retirement.

The critter is a moose. They didn't like to give way that trip. I had to wave my paddle and smack the water like some kind of mutant beaver :)

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2018, 11:41:06 AM »
Moose scare me. No so much bears or sharks, but a moose will run you down. Those are some great pictures DM. I had that 2 mp Olympus as well. It took amazing photos. I'm glad I had it when our kids were little, it really did capture so incredible shots.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal