Author Topic: My first unlimited board  (Read 2657 times)

10generation

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
My first unlimited board
« on: June 26, 2018, 09:54:34 PM »
Just bought a used King's carbon board 19' long.

Couple of questions:

- Know I'm not supposed to let the board get hot - its black, any tips for when I'm traveling with it outside of carrying in bag?

- Harder pull when paddling, do most go down a bit in paddle size?

- My stroke rate is about the same, but stroke distance is longer - is that to be expected?

- Any general advice for paddling an unlimited?

Thanks

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: My first unlimited board
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2018, 12:33:17 AM »
First of all ....... Welcome to the glide zone....
I just picked up a couple of used 19' unlimiteds as well. I now have 5 ::)
You can travel a short distance in 70deg weather, but I would bag it if traveling for 30 min or so in warm weather.
Maybe harder to sprint, but let the board glide. Don't jam your paddle in to quickly.
The time between strokes increases.
Just enjoy passing everyone ;)
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2018, 05:56:40 AM »
A super light coat of white paint will fix that--spray and dry brush. I've been tempted to do that to my Blackfish. Can't leave that thing in the sun at all. It's too bad that Carbon is so pretty.

If I'm trying to go fast I favor a smaller paddle and higher cadence for unlimited. It does indeed glide better, but you want to keep it close to its peak speed--because you can. Easy to slow down a bit and cruise but you'll probably be slower than you would be with a paddle more suited to cruising. If I don't want to pay attention I use a larger paddle. I tend to drop cadence if I'm mentally picking daisies
« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 06:03:23 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2018, 09:02:02 AM »
Ditto on painting it white.  I've had exposed carbon rails on a few past boards and, let's face it, I'm not as careful as I have to be to keep that sun from doing what it does.  All future boards with carbon fiber will be fully painted... or they won't be carbon fiber.  It's just another thing to worry about with an already fragile piece of equipment.  I'm not a pro, so I don't have to shave every ounce for optimal performance.

crazybula

• Waikiki Status
  • Deep Ocean Boards Family
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2018, 04:08:39 PM »
As the other lads have mentioned, the glide is better. So you can slow your cadence, concentrate on technique and achieve good speed with less effort. Large unlimiteds are not as reactive so they feel heavier to get moving but once they are the glide is fantastic.
Your stroke distance is longer because you are travelling further between strokes - that's a good thing so don't fret!
No need to rush on your return stroke, just feel the board.
Enjoy!

10generation

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2018, 12:05:31 AM »
Thanks guys, like the idea of the paint job, any recommendations for someone in Southern California that could do it for me?

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2018, 06:06:15 AM »
This is an easy home project. Rattlecan white and a wide, cheap brush--a 4inch disposable chip brush is perfect as long as you carry tweezers to remove any bristles that fall off. What you are going for is the "brushed carbon" look which is actually just a cheater coat that's been mostly sanded off. In this case, we're cheating on the cheater coat. Mask off the areas you don't want to be painted, then spray a little, brush a lot. You are not aiming for a smooth coat of paint, use the brush to make the coat of paint thin and gappy. The big trick is knowing when to stop. Don't do a second coat, don't put on so much paint that you don't see a little carbon through the strokes, and don't worry about being too neat or smooth.

You'll be surprised at how much less heat gets generated. Even the thinnest coat of white with a lot of carbon showing through reflects most of the light.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2018, 11:46:03 AM »
Like Pono says..... This is an old unlimited of mine that was painted with Krylon All-in-0ne basic rattler cans. White and Blue stripes. It held up great. The bottom side was white tinted epoxy hotcoat.  I'm going to do the same thing with a bunch of older all carbon fiber black unlimiteds that I picked up cheap. On the bottoms I'm thinking about spraying them with a 2K paint

It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal