Author Topic: Sup Sports "One World" 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters Surf Review  (Read 2774 times)

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
For the last two months, we've had little wind because of a high pressure dome of air which suppresses the wind and without good wind, the wave action on the upper Texas coast was poor.

Monday's weather and surf forecast (6-25-2018) called for temperatures in the low 90's at Surfside, Tx with humidity at 79%, dew points at 76 degrees with a strong onshore wind out of the South at 15-17 mph with gusts as high as 25 mph. I knew the waves down at Surfside would be wind driven waves (wind swell) with lots of foam and chop. Anticipating that, I decided to use a quad fin setup (2, 5") and (2, 4") on my 11'1" One World and lower my paddle length from 70" which I prefer for flat water paddling to 67" since I figured paddling against a strong onshore wind was going to make me really bend my knees while using a lower profile for paddling. This was my first surfing session in my OW and I felt the 75 adjustable paddle with a 67" paddle length would be a good starting point in length for me.

I arrived at Surfside around 5:50 am Monday morning. My guess was spot on with regards to the wind and waves. The onshore wind was around 18-20 mph from the South, gusting to 25 mph and the waves were around 4' in height. The waves would form, then the tops of the waves would just collapse resulting in lots of shore break type foam with lots of  chop on the water. When the waves started to break, they just seemed to roll slowly over giving the look of a ramp effect as the white water just slid out in front of the wave. I got into the water at 6:15 am. BTW, I was the only one down on the beach at this time of the morning. I had the whole place to myself.

Since this was my very first time out to try and sup surf, with lots of foam and a strong head wind in front of me paddling out, instead of trying to stand up and paddle out through all of that stuff, I decided to play it safe and paddle out in a prone position with my paddle blade tucked under my chest with the shaft of the paddle pointed out above the nose of the board. This proved to be a good move on my part. I had a feeling if I tried to paddle out standing up, by stepping on the rear of my board too far, the nose of my board might be pointed too high in the air while going over a wave. This would allow the wave to push my board back on top of me and if I did, I probably would have gotten hurt real bad.

I had to prone paddle out around 150 yards to finally get away from those 4' choppy waves in height. At this distance, the waves were more like downwind waves because of the deeper water depth. This made it easy for me to stand up on my board. I got into position to catch a wave and waited for a good wave to form. When it did, I was already moving forward. The wave lifted the tail end of my board and when my board started to move forward, I quickly got into a surf stance and rode my first wave. This big board generates a lot of speed in waves like this. I was surprised just how fast the board took off and how fast it was moving along on the top of the water.

At first, I did have a problem turning the board, but this was not the fault of the board. It was because of me not stepping back further towards the tail end of the board with my back foot in conjunction with my front foot towards the left or right rail. This is what happens when one is used to sup surfing a shorter length 8'11" Hammer. But after a few rides, I adjusted and turning my 11'1" board was no longer a problem. When turning my 173 liters board, the thinned out rails on my One World makes turning very easy even for a person like me weighing 146 lbs.

Most of my rides were somewhere between 50-65 yards as best as I can tell. After each ride, I had to again get into a prone position to paddle back out because the water between the choppy waves was like a washing machine. Since I was wearing, amongst other things, my Casio G-Shock watch, I surfed for 30 minutes at a time. Then I came back to my truck parked on the beach to get some Gatorade and take a 10 minute break. This kept me hydrated and the 10 minute rest kept me from getting tired. I also munched on a few Lance Toast Chee Peanut Butter flavored crackers at each break to keep my energy level up.

As the morning wore on, the wind began to get less in speed so I raised my paddle length on my adjustable paddle from 67" to 68" since I wasn't bending my knees as much like I was when first started out at 6:15 am. The wind was around 12-14 mph with gusts to around 19 mph as best as I could guess when I left for home. In summation, I had a very enjoyable time surfing my One World in not so great wind and wave conditions. I must say, I think I'm a closet long boarder. I have a feeling surfing my One World with 1' wave heights is going to be easy.

I quit my surf session with my One World at 10:30 am. Before loading my One World back on the top of my truck cab, I had brought with me four, 1 gallon jugs of fresh water. I poured the freshwater over each fin screw hole to dislodge any sand in them. I also poured lots of freshwater over my two vent plugs. This washed out any sand since the water was sandy brown in color with lots of sand in suspension. I wanted to make sure there was no sand above the gore-tex membrane which would harden by the time I was back at my home since it was going to be at least a 2 hours and 15 drive with lots of traffic at that time of the morning.

I was on my way back home at 11:00 am. When I arrived back home at 1:15 pm, I again washed down my One World, cleaned up everything, took a shower and took a little 90 minute nap.

I'll be re-visiting this topic thread again when I take some more trips down to the upper Texas coast with my 11'1" One World to sup surf with different wind and wave conditions at either Surfside, Galveston Island or the beaches on the Bolivar Peninsula.

Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Sup Sports "One World" 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters Surf Review
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2018, 02:07:45 PM »
Of the 3 sups I've sold, it's the one model I'd wish I'd kept.   Here's my wife paddling out on her inaugural surf at Leadbetter in Santa Barbara.  Wish I had a better one of her surfing, but when we're surfing, we usually aren't thinking much about photography.

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2018, 05:23:41 PM »
Aloha Jim,
I took that pic of Marty at Leds on my way home from the shop that day...here's a couple more when you guys picked up those new boards...
I will have to look for the originals to see if there are some more surf shots...but, just installed a new OS and NAS...lots of hard drives I would have to look through...
Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2018, 05:55:59 PM »
Here's a few more...my new archive system works great...
Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2018, 09:11:53 AM »
Considering it's her first outing on her first board, I was thrilled she caught some surf.  She's a much better surfer today, in large part to that user-friendly wave catching machine.  Virtually all my best pictures surfing were taken by either Wardog or Deb... Thanks you two... for the value added service  ;D

My niece now has it, it Bellingham WA.  She gets out in the bay for flat water paddles and takes it to the coast every once in a while for a surf.  That board still gets plenty of love.

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2018, 02:38:04 PM »
Invest 95L never made it to a tropical depression or a tropical storm in the Gulf of Mexic. It was more of a tropical disturbance. So I checked the wave forecasts for Surfside and the forecasted wave heights were for 2.5' waves in height. So I decided to leave my home very early this Saturday morning and arrived at Surfside at around 7:00 am with the air temperature around 80 degrees F.

Since this was Saturday, I figured there would be lots of prone surfers at Surfside next to the Surfside Jetty. So I decided to sup surf the waves next to the Quintana Jetty. When I arrived and parked on the beach, my vehicle was the only one there. I figured I would have 1.5 hours before the prone surfers would start to show up.

For the first two hours, the waves at the Quintana were 2.5' in height. But as time went on, the wind came up from the south with a stead 9-11 mph wind and the waves got larger in height. Since these waves were from 95L, they weren't the best waves to surf since there looked like modified rollers with lots of white water that rolled all the way to the beach. BTW, the water temperature was 81 degrees F. Comfortable water temperature for me since I was wearing bathing trunks, long sleeve t-shirt and socks on my feet (no shoes).

With my One World, I used a quad fin setup of (2, 5") and (2, 4") Futures fins. I set my adjustable Naish Alana 75 paddle to a 70" length and headed on out about 150 yards from the beach. I had a lot of 75-100 yard rides.

Around 8:30 am, the prone surfers started to show up. A lot of these guys were way bigger in weight than me (I'm 146 lbs at the moment). I guessed many of the prone surfers were between 170-195 lbs. They were riding "paper thin" (in thickness) prone surfboards and I guessed their boards were between 6'-7' in length. The volume of their boards had to be between 80-100 liters (just guessing).

The prone surfers didn't get as long in length rides (yards wise) as I did since when the wave they were riding got smaller, say 1' in height, with their physical weight, they started to sink their surf boards and their ride was over. Since my OW is 173 liters and with my physical weight of 146 lbs, I just glided right on past them all the way to the beach. And I was the only sup surfer there.

Sometimes when I paddled back out, I padded out to around 250 yards. I met some of the prone surfers there and some of them were interested in seeing my 11'1"board. One young buck asked if it was a single fin or was it a 3 fin box setup. I told him it has 5 fin boxes, but I was sup surfing it with a quad fin setup.

Some of the prone surfers said they had never seen an 11' board with 5 fin boxes. I said it was custom made for my 146 lbs since I wanted 173 liters in volume so I could do flat water paddling, coastal cruising and sup surfing. One prone surfer said he liked the thinned out rails. I told him I wanted thinned out rails since a production made board was 200 liters.

I asked one proner would he like to ride it. He told me he was tempted but maybe some other time. I said to him the next time I'm down here and he sees me, be careful of this board because if you ride it, you just might be tempted to "come on over to the Dark Side".  ;)  He laughed as did his buddies.

They all said it was nice to see a guy at my age of 68, still enjoying Life to it's fullest. They all said when they get to be my age, they hope they all will be enjoying Life to it's fullest. I told the young bucks when "Death" comes for me, "Death" won't find me sitting in my very soft recliner chair. "Death" will have to go out and find me. After that statement; they gave me, not one, but two thumbs up.

BTW, I took some rest breaks at regular intervals so I didn't wear myself out too soon. I'll have to admit. I'm a closet longboarder for sure. I think my OW can handle just about any waves the upper Texas coast can throw at it.

At 10:30 am, the bottom of my feet told me it was time to head back in; clean my board, two vent holes, fins, paddle leash and paddle with fresh water I always carry with me, load up and head for home. I left the Quintana beach right at 11:00 am and was back home by 1:30 pm. I then cleaned my board, two vent holes, fins, paddle leash and paddle again.

Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal