Author Topic: Places to foil in L.A.  (Read 14773 times)

fatfish

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Places to foil in L.A.
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2018, 08:51:43 AM »
thanks Fishman, i found it in google maps now.

frenchfoiler

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2018, 07:40:11 PM »
Hey Frenchfoiler

Where exactly is the Seal Beach spot that you mention above? I work off of Bolsa and am trying to find a beginner foiling spot around there.  thanks in advance

I'd guess San Gabriel river Jetty at 1st street. AKA seal beach jetty

Yes that's the spot. I heard it is a good wave on south swell, perfect for foiling with small swell. ;)

frenchfoiler

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2018, 07:42:25 PM »
el porto.....up north of elporto actually....walk along the sidewalk to the jetty in front of the gas station and power plant...sandy bottom...works on all tides....usually not crowded....gotta pay for parking in the lot...kinda junk

sunset point....med to low tide only....lots of obstacles...beginners...high tide is no good rocks on shore create mean backwash

topanga....NO!

malibu....4 ft tide and higher only or youll scrape every run...4.5ft and up is awesome...but you better be under control...LOTS of obstacles...surfers....the little bay between 1st and 2nd is the BEST...half mile long runs from 2nd point to the wall ....easy...

point dume....great spot but a super hassle to get there for normal people...

county line....short fast punchy....obstacles

lots of shorepound beach breaks south of santa monica....havent tried them yet

Thanks Steamroller, those are good tips. I saw you foiling at Malibu last week, you got some nice connections with super long ride !!

frenchfoiler

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2018, 09:14:48 PM »
el porto.....up north of elporto actually....walk along the sidewalk to the jetty in front of the gas station and power plant...sandy bottom...works on all tides....usually not crowded....gotta pay for parking in the lot...kinda junk

sunset point....med to low tide only....lots of obstacles...beginners...high tide is no good rocks on shore create mean backwash

topanga....NO!

malibu....4 ft tide and higher only or youll scrape every run...4.5ft and up is awesome...but you better be under control...LOTS of obstacles...surfers....the little bay between 1st and 2nd is the BEST...half mile long runs from 2nd point to the wall ....easy...

point dume....great spot but a super hassle to get there for normal people...

county line....short fast punchy....obstacles

lots of shorepound beach breaks south of santa monica....havent tried them yet

I foiled at Sunset Point, watch out for super slippery rocks when get in or exit !

For beginner I definetly recommand Sano, it is worth driving down there.

The problem with all those spots is that when it is small which is good for foiling, it is shallow...

frenchfoiler

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2018, 12:28:27 PM »
Another nice foil session at Malibu surfrider. When it is small and hight tide 6', there is a fun little wave to ride on a foil, between 2nd point and 3rd point, you actually ride between the reef and the beach so you are not with the people you are way inside. It is like a swimming pool with nice little non breaking wave.
If anybody has a premium surfline,you can check the cam 10am to 10.40am.

I think it is important to show that we don't mess up with others people and we are respectful by riding waves noboby wants.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2018, 08:21:21 PM »
Just watched all your rides. Great stuff man and no, I’d never have thought you could ride that in between waves. Crazy.

If I get this DIY thing built would you be willing to meet at a beginner break and help me catch some white water and test this thing? I’m pushing to have it ready for boat testing by thanksgiving. We will see.

frenchfoiler

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2018, 08:58:42 PM »
Just watched all your rides. Great stuff man and no, I’d never have thought you could ride that in between waves. Crazy.

If I get this DIY thing built would you be willing to meet at a beginner break and help me catch some white water and test this thing? I’m pushing to have it ready for boat testing by thanksgiving. We will see.

Yes sure !

frenchfoiler

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2018, 01:08:24 PM »
And another fun sess today. Those flat days are pefect for foiling, well except that even with a hight tide 6'3, it is shallow on the take off zone.

Is it possible to post the vid from the cam ??

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2018, 06:40:01 PM »
You can download them. I’ll try to grab them when I’m on my computer and post up. Really fun to see this stuff. I love it when you heard for the horizon pumping back out.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2018, 03:10:28 PM »
Frenchfoiler, I tried to get those files but the fires have the cams down today. I'll see if I can grab them before they go away. Rough times out there this weekend for sure.

frenchfoiler

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2018, 05:04:15 PM »
Frenchfoiler, I tried to get those files but the fires have the cams down today. I'll see if I can grab them before they go away. Rough times out there this weekend for sure.

Thanks, no worries.

Good foil session today at Sano, definetly world class foil wave !

frenchfoiler

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2018, 01:59:57 PM »
This morning I went to Malibu surfrider for a upwind (walking up to the point) to down wind. I had some nice ride but I had to go wide to the outside to get the bigger bumps has the inside was protected, so I ended up far away and the walking back out on the beach was too long, way further to the pier...

I had a nice ride aroind 11.30, if somebody could get the surfline video that would be nice to see how it looked.

I didn't know what to expect and I haven't done many dw session so I used the M280 which is a little bit slow but at least it is ''easy'' for catching bumps.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2018, 08:22:32 AM »
I tried to surf the 280, just to see what it's like. Hard to catch a wave, but when you do you have to have every ounce of weight well forward. Slow as shit. I would mark it NOT for surfing, downwind only. When you overfoil it sucks so loudly that it's distracting. first time I did it I was looking around to see what the hell made all the noise just before the faceplant.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

frenchfoiler

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2018, 08:21:30 PM »
Anybody does down wind foiling in Los Angeles area ?

There are some good runs especially north Malibu.
Today I did a upwind/dw, 15 min upwind super boring and 2min dw super fun !

SaMoSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2018, 08:33:35 PM »
What wind? It was the Pacific lake today in Malibu. Never seen it so flat. Were you at county line?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal