Author Topic: Places to foil in L.A.  (Read 14778 times)

Evan Lloyd

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Places to foil in L.A.
« on: June 26, 2018, 09:52:44 AM »
I’m going to be in Santa Monica for a week in July. Are there any known spots where people are foiling?  Im happy to travel up to an hour or so. If you don’t want to name spots, maybe you could send me a PM.

Thanks

Sup-position

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Places to foil in L.A.
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2018, 03:19:35 PM »
I'm in Huntington Beach..

Will depend on the swell and tide..
Ralph
Sup-position
(714) 899-3020 call, Text or Message

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2018, 09:47:55 PM »
Evan, hit me up on here. I'm just getting started but I have a couple of spots close to SM that I'm trying and some other guys are already on a couple of spots up north.

Happy to share. Oh and I met you once with Wade! Be good to see you again.

SaMoSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2018, 11:53:14 PM »
What cowboy said. We cruise around these same spots. Would be cool to check out your rig too. I'm considering the same setup.

sea_mode

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2018, 12:16:42 AM »
Hey guys. I’m a Santa Monica local and have been just starting out myself (on session 12ish) I don’t post here much but I lurk a lot. I’ve been traveling to popular spots in the counties north and south of here but haven’t had much luck locally yet. If u guys are willing to share via dm any spots that are working for you let me know I’m discreet and respctful. (Sounds like a shady massage parlor ad.) if not, I totally understand, and I’ll just keep lookin

Evan Lloyd

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2018, 07:07:48 AM »
Very cool.  I'll be in town July 6-11th.  Maybe we could do a meetup and go surf somewhere.  I'd love to connect with some of my SUP brothers and sisters. 

Evan Lloyd

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2018, 12:18:32 PM »
So I got my schedule and I'll be in the LA area for close to a week.  Is San O the only place in SoCal that is like San O?  The best wave to learn to foil on breaks far offshore and continues to roll and roll and roll.  San O is pretty perfect in this regard.  Cowells in Santa Cruz is also fairly ideal but very crowded.  Is there anywhere from LAX to Ventura county line that breaks and rolls?  I'm thinking Malibu/Latigo/Pt. Dune but don't know how foil friendly those spots are - especially Malibu.    Here is my very loose itinerary if any of you would like to come foil/sup with me.

Wed: Afternoon sesh at San O then fireworks. (Camping at San O)
Thurs: Morning and evening sesh at San O (Camping at San O)
Friday: Morning sesh at San O then drive up to Santa Monica (hotel in Santa Monica)
Sat-Wednesday:  LA. (hotel in Santa Monica)

I have some meetings Mon and Tuesday morning from 10-2.  Other than that, I'm wide open. 

frenchfoiler

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2018, 10:56:37 PM »
Hi guys I used to live in San Clemente and foil at Sano which is world class for foiling, especially for learning.

Currently in France I'm moving to L.A in september. I would like to know if there anybody on the forum foiling around there ? I don't know much the area, hopfully there are some uncrowded/mushy/sloppy waves around there.

I know I will regret Sano (I will be there as much as I can), but I'm looking forward foiling downwind north Malibu, hopfully I will find people to join me.

Dialy

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2018, 09:21:40 PM »
Salut!
Latigo is pretty fun at high tide (at lower tide, the rocks get too close to the surface for comfort). Zeroes is also a good spot (left).
El Porto ( North of 42nd to avoid the crowd, between the smoke stacks and the jetty) gets good when the swell is smaller (happens a lot in the summer) and the tide high  enough.

frenchfoiler

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2018, 10:52:41 AM »
Thanks Dialy.

I've heard about Latigo and I surfed El Porto. I don't know Zeroes, I'm gonna check this.

RATbeachrider

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2018, 06:54:42 PM »
I live down in Redondo and will check out El Porto.

frenchfoiler

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2018, 06:12:44 PM »
I guess we can share our informations about foil spots as we are looking for the worst wave we can find on the coast, right ??

I foiled Latigo, I think it is a good spot for foiling/ I wold say better for sup foiling because the take off is not so easy on a prone. Watch out for rocks if you take off too much inside on small wave.

I foiled at Seal Beach on the rivermouth, nobody out there as it was super small and super dirty (but I guess it was because of the rain). I think it is a good spot for foiling when it is small and hight tide. This is the kind of wave you want for foiling, as it rolls on deep water so you ride the swell.

steamroller

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2018, 10:43:08 PM »
el porto.....up north of elporto actually....walk along the sidewalk to the jetty in front of the gas station and power plant...sandy bottom...works on all tides....usually not crowded....gotta pay for parking in the lot...kinda junk

sunset point....med to low tide only....lots of obstacles...beginners...high tide is no good rocks on shore create mean backwash

topanga....NO!

malibu....4 ft tide and higher only or youll scrape every run...4.5ft and up is awesome...but you better be under control...LOTS of obstacles...surfers....the little bay between 1st and 2nd is the BEST...half mile long runs from 2nd point to the wall ....easy...

point dume....great spot but a super hassle to get there for normal people...

county line....short fast punchy....obstacles

lots of shorepound beach breaks south of santa monica....havent tried them yet

fatfish

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2018, 06:18:57 AM »
Hey Frenchfoiler

Where exactly is the Seal Beach spot that you mention above? I work off of Bolsa and am trying to find a beginner foiling spot around there.  thanks in advance

Fishman

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2018, 07:26:38 AM »
Hey Frenchfoiler

Where exactly is the Seal Beach spot that you mention above? I work off of Bolsa and am trying to find a beginner foiling spot around there.  thanks in advance

I'd guess San Gabriel river Jetty at 1st street. AKA seal beach jetty
SupSurfMachine 9'9" longboard
SupSurfMachine  8'2" funboard

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal