Author Topic: Easy come.....  (Read 15080 times)

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
Easy come.....
« on: June 26, 2018, 08:00:27 AM »
....easy go. I bought this board off Craig's list on Monday, May 28th and broke it yesterday on Sunday, June 25th. My shortest time ever w/a new board. I feel as a part of my soul has been ripped away. I connected w/the Hull Ripper very quickly. My previous record was 6 weeks w/an Ashton longboard years ago. But that didn't seem to have the same effect on me.
As I walked back to my gear on the beach carrying the two broken pieces a little girl about 10 years old looked at me and said she was sorry.  When I got home my wife looked at me and said "What's wrong". I gestured w/my head for her to look back at my sup cart and she then said "Holy crap"! Doubt I will ever find another Hull Ripper (Especially on Craig's for $300) but there's always a little hope.
"Big Red" crashed in the shorebreak at near full speed. I caught a beauty of an outsider and as I approached the final end section misread it and thought I could get in and out quick enough but had to bail b4 I could kickout.
I will never forget you, Red.  :'(

vlcsnap-2018-06-25-22h19m20s710 by surfercook, on Flickr

Hull-Ripper_Break (2) by surfercook, on Flickr

Last Wave In
Beautiful-wave2 by surfercook, on Flickr

My view while riding Red's last wave in
Beautiful-wave3 by surfercook, on Flickr

Inside shorebreak that claimed Red
vlcsnap-2018-06-25-22h17m32s221 by surfercook, on Flickr
« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 08:13:57 AM by surfercook »
One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"
9'11" PSH Hull Ripper-145 ltr    
9'3" PSH  Hull Ripper- 130ltr 
8'0" Corevac Assassin -127 ltr   
Paddles- Carbonerro PRO SERIES 85 & Riviera Camo at 70"

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Easy come.....
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2018, 08:13:37 AM »
Bummer. I would fix em brudda.  It’s the easiest part of the board to put back together. Get it done light. Like you said, another same board, hard to find.

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2018, 08:19:14 AM »
Easy fix! (*Disclaimer: for someone with awesome repair skills.)  I'd probably try, using roughly the same technique used to fix my recent paddle snap.  A similar break happened to my longboard (in a similar way), and Ray Lucke here in Oxnard fixed it for around $300... roughly the price of your board.  Since then, I've found the determination, and motivation to attempt to fix most of my repairs. $$$

A sad story, no doubt.  I've always wanted to try a hull ripper but hadn't ever found one that fit.  Best of luck in whatever direction your next ride takes you...as long as you can avoid the shore break.

p.s.  Are those tears on the camera lens in the first picture?  :'(
« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 08:21:11 AM by SlatchJim »

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2018, 08:55:54 AM »
Hey SC, tough break, but if you are willing to drop her off at my place up in Monmouth County, I would be more than happy to put her back together for you.   

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2018, 09:01:16 AM »
That is some tough luck. Sorry to see your Hull Ripper broke. Hope you find another Hull Ripper.
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2018, 09:30:07 AM »
You can fix it. 

Use Gorilla Glue.  Align the Nose and Voila - Back in one Piece!

Then just worry about laminating to make it look semi-clean and water tight.

Good news is that its mostly cosmetic.  You stuffed the nose.  The structural integrity is likely still good under your feet.  Its like getting a random ding.  Even with a poor repair job as long as you don't hit the same spot again your fine. 

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2018, 02:10:08 PM »
that sux and hope it works out for ya.

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2018, 03:26:06 PM »
I appreciate all the sympathies and suggestions to repair this mess. I kinda figured it could be glued back. The Zone is the best place for help and moral support. Maybe even more so than the real world?  :) I now have hope that my board will be repaired and my soul will be somewhat intact again.

You can fix it. Use Gorilla Glue.  Align the Nose and Voila - Back in one Piece!
That is some good news! Guessing a dowel or some kind of wood sistered up against the stringer of both broken pieces can't hurt for structural integrity. 

Are those tears on the camera lens in the first picture?  :'(   I've always wanted to try a hull ripper but hadn't ever found one that fit.
lol...typical GoPro smudgeness! If you ever find yourself on this side of the divide make sure you look me up, Slatch. Demo the Hull you will, assuming it's repaired.

« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 04:17:05 PM by surfercook »
One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2018, 07:20:59 PM »
Hey SC, tough break, but if you are willing to drop her off at my place up in Monmouth County, I would be more than happy to put her back together for you.
It's happening! Saved by the Bean! Good repairing to you, sir!

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2018, 08:33:52 PM »
Yeah, that's an easy one. Been hit harder than that on my lip and never stopped whistling.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

lopezwill

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2018, 08:38:17 PM »

That sucks surfercook! 

Every board I've ever broke in half never surfed the same after it was repaired.  Just sayen'

From your surfing photos you really seemed to "Get along well" with that board!

Maybe a good shaper can copy the board and make you a new one.  Superb board and dimensions I think.  I've been looking on Craigslist forever and have never seen that particular board come up for sale?

Good luck whatever you do.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2018, 09:07:21 PM »
First, I'd say you had the wrong guy do the work. I've had broken boards that surfed as well or better. You can't just dive in willy-nilly, but it's feasible. I doubt anything that the Board Lady fixed was ever less of a board than it was before it was trashed.

Second, it's just the nose, and there's a big peeled section. That's good, it helps get the old trashed stuff out of the way so the repairer can start with clean EPS. And it's not a structural part of the board, just mostly a flow element. It doesn't need to be strong, so it can be light.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 09:13:06 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2018, 07:48:34 AM »
Every board I've ever broke in half never surfed the same after it was repaired.  Good luck whatever you do.
Yes, agreed. But sometimes it is close to the orig. I've had more wrap jobs than I care to remember and a few have been pretty good. One was sooo heavy I just gave the board away.

it's just the nose, and there's a big peeled section.  And it's not a structural part of the board, just mostly a flow element.

Hopefully I'll be flowing again on the old girl soon!

Thanx for the positivity, guys!

all~wet

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2018, 11:44:34 AM »
Or.......... you could likely order up a Hull Ripper redux w/ customs tweaks just for you from BC himself. If it's a magic board- probably well worth it.

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2018, 07:06:06 AM »
Or.......... you could likely order up a Hull Ripper redux w/ customs tweaks just for you from BC himself. If it's a magic board- probably well worth it.
That would be amazing to have a custom Hull Ripper. Maybe one day. But first let's see if Bean's efforts save the 'ol girl. I dropped it off yesterday and the repair has already been started. You ain't messin' around, Roy!  :)
It's all about the speed and ripping!

« Last Edit: June 28, 2018, 07:17:38 AM by surfercook »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal