Author Topic: Easy come.....  (Read 15073 times)

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
Re: Easy come.....
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2018, 07:57:53 AM »
What?...no Spanish windlass..... ;)
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2018, 08:15:25 AM »
You know I was thinking exactly that.  But, since we have the headroom we're going to let gravity do it's thing.  The fun is just begnning!

The construction on this board is interesting.  It has a wood stringer and it is laminated top and bottom with bamboo.

You see a lot of influence from this board in Tom Caroll's Lose Leaf, especially the hull entry (the chine).

BrownSugah

• Malibu Status
  • Like Pahhtay wit me ?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2018, 11:29:45 AM »
i believe Chambers is still shaping customs in hawaii...def not 300 bucks but you can get another hull ripper...
ALOHA

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2018, 11:33:36 AM »
Good luck with the repair...looks pretty easy...just don't stuff the nose again...;-)
Definitely the eco-minded thing to do...

Wish I had Eva (Board Lady) around back in my college days...snapped several boards in the macking Humboldt waves...
Eva did put back a couple of sailboards that I broke at Jalama...and, then I broke them again...

Also, wish that I had kept this triple stringer Diffenderfer single fin gun from the 70's that I snapped and put back together with a Surfer Mag Pipeline centerfold laminated on the bottom...then snapped it again in a huge barrel...my breaks were much more structural than yours...at least my red Brewer gun from that era survived Humboldt, Puerto, and Hawaii...and, is hanging in my shop...
Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

supthecreek

« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2018, 01:37:13 PM »
Cookieman!!! WTH???
Ooopsie..... sucks, but just a temporary set back.

1st off, you broke the nose off... no big deal.... not in the center where repairs really get tested.
Plus not where it will affect flex when riding.

I put together 2 board a few years ago.... never did it before.
Fun and easy.
Neither board gained an ounce in the fix.... and went back into regular service, never noticed a difference.

I kept a picture diary of the process.... I will look through the archives (off hundreds of thousands of pictures)
I will email them to you and try to find the writup I did on it.

You got this cookie..... big Red will be sliding through summer! ;D ;D

Quick and dirty look at my repair:
https://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topic,27108.msg281893.html#msg281893

Good luck!

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2018, 03:41:40 PM »
What?...no Spanish windlass..... ;)

Had to Google that one. Interesting concept.

The construction on this board is interesting.  It has a wood stringer and it is laminated top and bottom with bamboo.You see a lot of influence from this board in Tom Caroll's Lose Leaf, especially the hull entry (the chine).

I was surprised to see the bamboo laminate. Tom Caroll is one of my sup heroes. I was so stoked when I saw him on sup yrs ago at snapper Rocks. 

i believe Chambers is still shaping customs in hawaii...def not 300 bucks but you can get another hull ripper...
Yes, BC is def still in HI. Lucky dog! The Craig's List price was the beauty of this board. Def the cheapest sup I ever bought. And one of the most performance oriented too.
BrownSugah is a very cool user name. I've played Brown Sugar by the Stones on my electric gtr a quite a loud volume!

Good luck with the repair...looks pretty easy...just don't stuff the nose again...;-) Definitely the eco-minded thing to do...
Wish I had Eva (Board Lady) around back in my college days...snapped several boards in the macking Humboldt waves...
Eva did put back a couple of sailboards that I broke at Jalama...and, then I broke them again...
Also, wish that I had kept this triple stringer Diffenderfer single fin gun from the 70's that I snapped and put back together with a Surfer Mag Pipeline centerfold laminated on the bottom...then snapped it again in a huge barrel...my breaks were much more structural than yours...at least my red Brewer gun from that era survived Humboldt, Puerto, and Hawaii...and, is hanging in my shop...

I so enjoyed your big wave and broken board stories,SS. What's your for real name?
I like that you said eco-minded. Throwing away a surfboard is such a crime against nature. We're all guilty of it too. Triple stringer board? ! had a Boardworks triple stringer longboard and broke it three times! The third time it got chucked!
I knew I'd seen the word Jalama recent! It's in that video I posted  a while back "The Best Hours Of The Day".

Cookieman!!! WTH??? Ooopsie..... sucks, but just a temporary set back. You got this cookie..... big Red will be sliding through summer! ;D ;D
Good luck!

lol...wth isn't exactly what I said, but close! I'll have to bleep that audio out if I ever edit the footage! Thanx for the cheer on! Hopefully Bean will button her up right and tight. Checkin out your broken messes now.

One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"
9'11" PSH Hull Ripper-145 ltr    
9'3" PSH  Hull Ripper- 130ltr 
8'0" Corevac Assassin -127 ltr   
Paddles- Carbonerro PRO SERIES 85 & Riviera Camo at 70"

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2018, 08:55:29 PM »
Step two. Bean said he's keeping the original laminate layers and re-attaching the skin on the bottom. Pretty sure it's bamboo and fiberglass. He also anticipates very little weight to be added to the board.

One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2018, 10:29:17 AM »
Don't listen to these guys, your board is totally destroyed.  No way you can ever repair it.  In fact, I'll do you a favor and take it off your hands, just to ease your pain.  (JK, totally repairable IMO)
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2018, 10:59:12 AM »
Your board is totally destroyed.  No way you can ever repair it.
lol...You are correct in that no way I could ever repair it..well, proper anyways.

Step 3 of the Bean fix under way.

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2018, 02:13:57 PM »
Step 4 done- sistering up the stringer. Bean told me he used some cedar scraps from his paddle building days. Impressive.

Step4 (1) by surfercook, on Flickr

Step4 by surfercook, on Flickr

Step 5 done- laminate and prime. Looking Bean clean!

Step5 (1) by surfercook, on Flickr

Step5 (2) by surfercook, on Flickr

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2018, 07:41:26 AM »
All buttoned up w/paint now. Step 6 looking good, Bean! Hard to believe this board didn't end up in a dumpster.

Step6 (2) by surfercook, on Flickr

Step6 (1) by surfercook, on Flickr

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2018, 07:49:56 AM »
Very cool.

I broke my new Jeff Clark board in half in 3 months.  Then had it put back together and surfed it for 7 more years.  Was my favorite board for 10 to 18 ft waves and it held up until the end.

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2018, 08:10:21 AM »
Very cool. I broke my new Jeff Clark board in half in 3 months.  Then had it put back together and surfed it for 7 more years.  Was my favorite board for 10 to 18 ft waves and it held up until the end.
What happened? Break again? 10 to 18 foot waves are def outa my pay grade!

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2018, 08:49:33 AM »
  • Newborn
  • 3 Years Old
  • 5 Years Old

I then repaired the 2 forward quad-fin boxes, that just randomly blew out, twice.  But she kept on swimming.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 09:03:29 AM by Beasho »

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2018, 08:54:45 AM »
Here were some of the better pics from the 7th year of the board in action.  And its final demise.  I was a sad sack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNAybIFYPDs
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 09:09:56 AM by Beasho »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal