Author Topic: Tamarindo, Costa Rica cams watch  (Read 6425 times)

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
Tamarindo, Costa Rica cams watch
« on: June 25, 2018, 11:11:49 AM »
I have made it a mission to check the cameras at Tamarindo daily for about 6-7 months.  I can understand why people from up North flee to CR in the Winter, but from simple observations - JUNE is the month (so far) with the wind having backed off. 

Every day the winter and spring I would see this nasty wind and crappy surf and wonder why it developed this 'longboard' reputation from waaay back.  Probably partially, most of my early references were pre 'shortboard' era, but still, it takes a certain quality wave (I thought) to create a 'magazine featured' destination. This wave has sucked until the winds backed off.  It's pretty crowded at times now with a better quality surfer. ('assume it's, 'School's Out')

http://witchsrocksurfcamp.com/tamarindo-live-surf-cam/ 

http://tamarindovistavillas.com/virtual-tours/tamarindo-beach-cam/

Maybe further South conditions (winds) are more favorable in peak season...   I started looking because it was a simple one-day in/out destination vs. our more complicated trek to Nosara.   Sorry, Tamarindo, you are not for me. 

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

supnorte

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • SUP Norte
    • Email
Re: Tamarindo, Costa Rica cams watch
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2018, 01:28:12 PM »
I've stayed in Playa Langosta a few years ago (walking distance from Tamarindo). Great beach break (and with some rocks) with only a few guys out. Went to Tamarindo one afternoon and the waves were small, mellow, fun and crowded.

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2018, 05:53:46 AM »
one night in tamarindo was plenty for me---had a small very crowded sesh the evening we arrived, stayed at a very nice hotel, but the town is a jammed tshirt shop---so many less developed places to vacate and surf
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

APPST_Paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2018, 07:29:00 AM »
Yeah, I wouldn't give Tamarindo a 2nd look, but 15 minutes south in Avellanas/Playa Negra, a ton of fun breaks. Great area, completely different from Tamarindo, further south in Nosara, etc. are fun too.
7'6" JL Super Frank Lean
8'2" JL SuperTech 
10'1" JL Black and Blue
14' BIC WS Tracer
6'5" JL Flying-V/GoFoil Maliko 200
Kenalu Ho'oloa 95, Werner Rip Stick 79

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2019, 05:57:43 PM »
Updating this.

The WR cam points at the worst beginner break in the region. Don't let it fool you.

I just returned from a trip in the "summer" (weird CR thing, they call Dec-Mar summer even though they are in the northern hemisphere.) It's drier, hotter, and has offshores almost every day.

Few tips, the breaks only really work from 2 hours before til 2 hours after high tide. Nothing is really ridable on low tide in that bay. The river mouth gets good with 3+ feet of swell and I've seen a guy get fully shacked there on a head high right that was straight out of a surf movie.

20 minute walk North up the beach starts a series of beach breaks that go all the way to Playa Grande (maybe 2 miles up the beach.) Get a boat or cheap bus of taxi to many other nearby breaks depending on conditions.

I liked Tamarindo, as a town. I'll update that more in another thread, but for an easy first trip to CR, it's hard to beat. Especially if you have a spouse who might not surf. But don't go by the cam, and don't go by the wet season necessarily, though I want to check that out soon too.

APPST_Paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2019, 05:47:35 AM »
Updating this.

The WR cam points at the worst beginner break in the region. Don't let it fool you.

I just returned from a trip in the "summer" (weird CR thing, they call Dec-Mar summer even though they are in the northern hemisphere.) It's drier, hotter, and has offshores almost every day.

Few tips, the breaks only really work from 2 hours before til 2 hours after high tide. Nothing is really ridable on low tide in that bay. The river mouth gets good with 3+ feet of swell and I've seen a guy get fully shacked there on a head high right that was straight out of a surf movie.

20 minute walk North up the beach starts a series of beach breaks that go all the way to Playa Grande (maybe 2 miles up the beach.) Get a boat or cheap bus of taxi to many other nearby breaks depending on conditions.

I liked Tamarindo, as a town. I'll update that more in another thread, but for an easy first trip to CR, it's hard to beat. Especially if you have a spouse who might not surf. But don't go by the cam, and don't go by the wet season necessarily, though I want to check that out soon too.

SurfCB - Man, sounds like I should have come north at least a couple of days. I completely agree with CR far as somewhere to go with a non-surfing wife. I have the same scenario and she loves it just because it's so laid back and there's a nice variety of restaurants, etc. I had a good trip except for a bit of food poisoning/sickness on the last day. Avellanas was a bit windy a few of the days, but was perfect A-frames others. Agree with the comment on low tide, still breaks at Avellanas, but you have to be super careful at the Rivermouth and Little Hawaii because of rocks.
7'6" JL Super Frank Lean
8'2" JL SuperTech 
10'1" JL Black and Blue
14' BIC WS Tracer
6'5" JL Flying-V/GoFoil Maliko 200
Kenalu Ho'oloa 95, Werner Rip Stick 79

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2020, 09:32:17 AM »
... I still look while eating lunch; it dreary as hell here in February by comparison.  Perhaps it was Tuesday (Feb 18) I saw a guy walk through the bottom of the image (N to S) with a YELLOW BOARD, FOIL and WING?! C'hit! 

So, then I look randomly for the next few days.  Thursday - I caught him about 2 pm eastern just north of the river mouth.  He appeared to working a wave over in that area that the proners don't seem to bother walking for.  Then, he starts foiling in my direction - but, I had a 3 o'clock appointment and I choked attempting a 'screen capture'. (my Mac is set for a decent resolution but those video snaps look like hell once processed)

Anyway, from what I read - those Yellow F-One boards were protos (Orange for production) and used by team riders, etc.   This person did not seem to have any beginner issues.  I only watched poor resolution at a distance but did not see a fall.  I know it is not the perfect venue, but I still envied this guy.

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2020, 02:50:14 PM »
That wave is perfect for a foil for sure. Too mushy to catch otherwise.

Erik from the Progression Project has been running foil camps down there a bit further South. I’ll bet foils are showing up.

Hope to take one myself on the next trip.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal