Author Topic: Diy foil nz  (Read 21766 times)

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Diy foil nz
« Reply #75 on: January 16, 2019, 10:38:53 PM »
This sort of thing will make you crazy man. Glad you found the issue.

opie

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #76 on: January 17, 2019, 04:45:35 AM »
After building two front wings, 3 tail wings and a rudder I have finally found the issue I was talking about with weirdness in fusion 360. Using loft instead of sweep.
By using loft I was taking the profiles to a point which meant that I was losing out on shape and they profile was basically symmetrical at halfway between the tip and the root.
You can see in the photo the amount of volume the wing is missing out on.

Ah well

That's a good catch.  I never noticed that.

kiwi

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 28, 2019, 01:42:19 AM »
Been a while since ive posted, plenty of shit has happened
The original foil has been put on hold due to my disinterest in heavy, ugly foil shapes
After discovering I had been missing out on a whole lot of lift in my original wings I decided to start fresh and got to work on the wing below which has a span of 800mm and a max chord of 200mm. My new design consisted of a whole lot of weight reduction in the form of a cedar carbon mast and glass tube fuz with wings still reasonably heavy until I get a hold of some more cedar. I designed my wing fuz join similar to axis and started cutting the new wing. After cutting the three parts (two wing tips and the main section) I realised I could have just designed it to be interchangeable with all the axis gear and I wouldn't have to wait until building an entire foil from the ground up to be able to use this new wing, my friend owns a few axis setups and was/is willing to let me use them to test my wing. After this realization I spent the next two weeks running around like a headless chicken trying to get it finished in time for the school holidays so I could test it in the swell and dont worry I did.

In between my last post and now I also built a prone foil board out of an old windsurfer which has been good apart from the fact is weighs a kilo more after a session than what it began at. So I also patched that up and gave it a new coat of paint before the holidays too, plan is to build a fresh one from scratch and make it indestructible over the next year.

During the holidays the swell was pretty average and was about 0.3m of windy blown out shit with no gut behind it whatsoever, probably perfect for sup foiling but I need some more power in the wave for my little wing on my prone board. The river creek thing where we stayed over the holidays was perfect for pumping off with the axis 1020 wing.

Next in the works is the above stated prone foil board, probably around 5 foot 40 litres and a high aspect pump wing/downwind because everyone seems to be heading towards high aspect.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2019, 01:45:59 AM by kiwi »

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 28, 2019, 09:06:18 AM »
Ah, generation two is a huge leap forward.

Love the cedar idea. Redwood ( in the states) would also work. Also smart joint on the wing. You can use commercial parts or build your own.

SUPeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #79 on: April 29, 2019, 04:09:38 AM »
Really nice looking wing.  Well done!  I just finished my extra-large front wing and only need to put the finish coat on and scrape and sand. The big surprise being that I did not need the expected 3 layers of glass and 2 layers of 3K twill.  It only needed 1 layer of 6oz and 1 layer of 3K carbon at 45 degrees.  I was looking for more flex but no twist.  It ended up having really good flex characteristics and I can still stand on the wing tips with out breaking the wing. It is currently lighter than a Gofoil maliko 280.  Been too busy foiling to finish up the finish work but got the week off so it’ll get done.  I too am planning a new fuselage and new attachment but that will have to wait.  Carbon fiber hockey sticks make a great starter for a fuselage.  Got two for $6 and can make 4 fuselages with them.  I make a reinforced insert to beef them up.  Thanks for sharing pics.  Once again, your wings are beautiful and they look like they crush!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal