Author Topic: Diy foil nz  (Read 21757 times)

kiwi

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
Re: Diy foil nz
« Reply #45 on: August 19, 2018, 02:42:31 PM »
Got the cassette glued in the board. hopefully gonna test the foil and board this weekend
Still need to glue up the mast and fuselage but that's this afternoon's job

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 19, 2018, 08:13:43 PM »
Still looking good. I wish you well but you should make one part of this ugly so the rest of us will feel better.  Haha.

Great work and smart to put that around the stringer. Probably way stronger.

kiwi

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 21, 2018, 01:54:01 AM »
Still looking good. I wish you well but you should make one part of this ugly so the rest of us will feel better.  Haha.

Great work and smart to put that around the stringer. Probably way stronger.

oh dont worry there is an ugly fibreglass board job to see yet haha

kiwi

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 21, 2018, 01:58:44 AM »
speaking of the ugly board, here it is

Plus I got the fuz glued up with the mast, plenty of glass reinforcement to laid around that to come.

kiwi

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 27, 2018, 12:45:15 AM »
So this weekend I got to test out the foil. Pretty stoked. On friday I took it across to the beach to see if it would float because of the low volume shortboard it's mounted to. Turns out it floats easy peasy. I pushed it around in the shallows and it was pretty satisfying to see it scooting around and not just sinking.

Took it out on the boat on friday (40 foot wooden launch) and had a go at towing it. fucken stoked  ;D took a few goes to get the right rope length and to get used to it and shimming the stab helped heaps. Mast is pretty wobbly and bendy so there aint much control over left and right and it twists heaps but thats nothing we cant fix. Nothing broke and the board held up good.

Had another go on sunday and it was way easier with the previous day's practice, like everyone says here the learning curve is really quick. I could get out of the wake and out the side pretty easily. looking forward to having a go in the surf but im pretty sure ill need a board with a bit more volume.

Also started working on the bendy mast problem. Gonna run some carbon uni's down either side and also wrap them round the bottom. I got out the grinder and started radiusing the fuz so the carbon will form to it more easily. Also gonna look way better like this.

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 27, 2018, 06:37:22 AM »
This is fragging awesome.

A whole lot of work but good for you!!!!

Note that an Airfoil shape is 15X - 20X more streamlined than a cylinder or a rectangle flying.

Said another way if you keep the mast streamlined you can afford to beef it up significantly.  This is why we don't feel all the drag on our wings.  They are extremely efficient. 

See this diagram of a WIRE (extended to infinity) vs. an airfoil of equal drag.

kiwi

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 04, 2018, 01:08:41 PM »
A few things have happened since last post.

I had a go at sup foiling and bloody hell its fun. That's what I want to build my setup to do. Was flying on the maliko 200 in about half a metre of surf.
Was also given an old windsurf board to hack up to try surf my foil with and it sure is gonna be a fugly but a more hacked up not build for the job type of fugly. Decided to flip the board and turn it around and cut the nose off it so I ended up with soft rails on the bottom and I also cut a bevel in the back edge.
The mast now has 3 layers of 200gm carbon unis down each side and I coated that with a layer of bog and also coated the glassed up bottom of the shortboard with bog.
Also have a wayy bigger wing in the pipeline.

« Last Edit: September 04, 2018, 01:14:44 PM by kiwi »

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 04, 2018, 07:17:51 PM »
Love it man. Also, it’s good to see the ugly glass job on the board. Makes me feel better. ;)

I faired the corners of my new wing mount but think I have a bit more to do before I lay the carbon on it. Needs to be wider like yours. Considering just hard mounting it and building a whole new mast for the next wing now that I’ve seen more good designs on here. Might get me in the water sooner but could be deadly if I mess up the angle of attack.

You mentioned shimming your stabilizer. I guess that and shims under the mast plate could adjust things pretty well too.

kiwi

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 24, 2018, 02:09:03 AM »
A week from design to real world object. Pretty happy with it. Cut in 3 parts and glued together. The rebates near the tips are for carbon unis to strengthen the wing to tip joins.

Gonna be a big week, I really want to get it done for the holidays (5 days lol).
« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 02:14:16 AM by kiwi »

jrandy

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #54 on: September 24, 2018, 04:59:40 AM »
Nicely done Kiwi! That is an impressive wing design.
I like it when a good CNC setup and good plywood turn out like what you have done, with the layers of wood showing the curves in the work.
http://pushheretosavealife.com/
Be safe, have fun. -J

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 24, 2018, 06:34:34 PM »
That new wing is sweet man.

I need a bit of assistance with my 3D design actually.

I have hopes for my fuse and mast now that they are redone as well. What angle did you end up at for your rear wing? (I’ve been using the “level” app on my phone to get close enough measurements). I’d love to know that before my next test.

The plywood CNC method oks to be the fastest one yet. But, have you considered cutting it out of dense foam? Seems like that would work with a CNC too, no?

kiwi

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 25, 2018, 01:02:31 AM »
Nicely done Kiwi! That is an impressive wing design.
I like it when a good CNC setup and good plywood turn out like what you have done, with the layers of wood showing the curves in the work.

Thanks JR

Very satisfying to sand the machining marks off and see the perfect layers of ply  ;D

kiwi

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 25, 2018, 01:09:21 AM »
That new wing is sweet man.

I need a bit of assistance with my 3D design actually.

I have hopes for my fuse and mast now that they are redone as well. What angle did you end up at for your rear wing? (I’ve been using the “level” app on my phone to get close enough measurements). I’d love to know that before my next test.

The plywood CNC method oks to be the fastest one yet. But, have you considered cutting it out of dense foam? Seems like that would work with a CNC too, no?

Thanks man

Are you using fusion 360 for design, Ive spent the past 4 years using it so could probably help you out :)

Ive got no accurate way to measure between the trailing edge so Ill draw it up in CAD and get back to you on the angle. (Edit: Its about 1 degree give or take a bit)
New wing is going to be at 1.5 degress, this sound about right for AOA?

Cutting out of dense foam would just mean more reinforcement in the form of carbon or glass. The cnc takes away the hassle of doing a shit load of laminating and gives you and almost perfect object straight off the machine so needing to spend hours laminating over top would be beside the point for me. Yeah foam would be wayy lighter and probably better for foiling but for prototyping I'd rather have a heavy foil and make a new one based on the testing that works better in the same time as making a single foil that might not work for what I need it to.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 01:26:25 AM by kiwi »

kiwi

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 25, 2018, 01:11:14 AM »
A bit more work done this afternoon. Rebates filled with carbon unis then bogged, glassing the trailing edge tomorrow.

Also planned to remake the wing mount into something that can handle this huge new wing.  :)
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 01:12:50 AM by kiwi »

SUPeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #59 on: September 25, 2018, 04:19:46 AM »
As far as mast twist and flex.  6 layers of 3K carbon twill layed 45 dgrees and 90 degrees would fix it.  Vacuum bagging helps but is not necessary.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal