Author Topic: Diy foil nz  (Read 21764 times)

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Diy foil nz
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2018, 01:56:02 PM »
kiwi, I'm interested to know if you making your own foil is saving you money over just buying a premade one.  Doing it to save money, or just doing it for fun?
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2018, 02:56:18 PM »
Zoo, at my hourly rate my foil is probably twice the price of a GoFoil lol.

Not sure about the other guys, but for me it's been a love of building things and learning new skills. If I make something that flies, I'll be super proud as well.

But I'd like to hear the other guys take on this.

I will point out that the price of the CNC machine probably takes the cost up a bit here. But it's a whole different game if you have the tools already and the basic skills. For instance I'll bet Kiwi and JRandy get something to fly with not that many hours having the gear to design and cut full scale. They are a step above my backyard kit.

kiwi

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2018, 03:30:11 PM »
kiwi, I'm interested to know if you making your own foil is saving you money over just buying a premade one.  Doing it to save money, or just doing it for fun?

Yeah it is saving me a bit of money, didn't have 2k to just splash out and buy one so I thought I may as well have a crack at building one, also doing it for the skills and learning too because I don't have much composites building knowledge as I'm still in highschool lol.

I must say I'm a bit lucky to have the resources that I do, Dad is a boat builder and having the stuff laying round at home helps a lot. The cnc is the real time saver here, I can cut out a new wing in 6 hours instead of hand shaping it in a couple days and all I have to do is click start. It did cost me 1500 to build the cnc but it's worth it cus now I can save money and learn on so many other projects.

Kudos to surfcowboy for doing it all by hand, quite impressive to have stuck it out and done it all manually.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2018, 03:33:29 PM by kiwi »

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2018, 05:42:23 PM »
Oh, know my next one will be machine assisted for sure lol. But thx yes, my original idea was to show that with minimal tools and tech that you could build something to fly. We will see.

I'd love some links on building a CNC. May have to start a thread on that here.

container

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2018, 11:54:42 AM »
super neat work kiwi! how much carbon are you putting on the fuselage? that little bit between the the back of the main wing and front of the mast needs to be pretty beefy, theres a hell of a lot of twisting load on it when you throw in some austin kalama carves. mine is about as low tech as it gets- 100% hand shaped by eye, wet laminated with no vacuum bagging and most of the time the wrong weight cloth cause im cheap and only use what i can get from off cut bins. a store bought one may perform slightly better but you cant beat the satisfaction of hand made man powered flight

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2018, 08:29:13 PM »
That's exactly where mine broke, right behind the wing. I second that idea lol.

SUPeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2018, 06:57:47 AM »
You know the saying;  "Why pay them the amount of money they're askin' when you can easily do it yourself for only twice the cost."

Well, I'm going to tell you that some people can make these foils for 1/2 to 1/3 the cost of production foils and if you have a mind like an engineer, you can make them far stronger than production foils.  Overbuild, overbuild, overbuild, and you will not be disappointed.   CNC machines, 3D printers,  and even vacuum bagging is not required (though I find it extremely helpful).  I really think the cheapest way is to buy the least expensive aluminum mast and fuselage and then make your own wings that will adapt to those parts.   Just wondering.  I weigh 160 lbs and can stand on the wing tips of my main wing while the board upside down laying on the beach .  I only used 1 layer of 3K carbon twill on wings outer surface.  I've only ever seen one production foil (Naish) and have been wondering if these foils could undergo the same test.  Overbuilt?  Yes!  Would not have it any other way.

kiwi

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2018, 05:55:29 PM »
super neat work kiwi! how much carbon are you putting on the fuselage? that little bit between the the back of the main wing and front of the mast needs to be pretty beefy, theres a hell of a lot of twisting load on it when you throw in some austin kalama carves. mine is about as low tech as it gets- 100% hand shaped by eye, wet laminated with no vacuum bagging and most of the time the wrong weight cloth cause im cheap and only use what i can get from off cut bins. a store bought one may perform slightly better but you cant beat the satisfaction of hand made man powered flight

thanks container
considering my front wing is only 700mm wide I think itll be fine for just a test, plan is to ride it in the boat wake and see if it actually works, planning on building a second one out of carbon with a larger wing for surfing after this one.

You know the saying;  "Why pay them the amount of money they're askin' when you can easily do it yourself for only twice the cost."

Well, I'm going to tell you that some people can make these foils for 1/2 to 1/3 the cost of production foils and if you have a mind like an engineer, you can make them far stronger than production foils.  Overbuild, overbuild, overbuild, and you will not be disappointed.   CNC machines, 3D printers,  and even vacuum bagging is not required (though I find it extremely helpful).  I really think the cheapest way is to buy the least expensive aluminum mast and fuselage and then make your own wings that will adapt to those parts.   Just wondering.  I weigh 160 lbs and can stand on the wing tips of my main wing while the board upside down laying on the beach .  I only used 1 layer of 3K carbon twill on wings outer surface.  I've only ever seen one production foil (Naish) and have been wondering if these foils could undergo the same test.  Overbuilt?  Yes!  Would not have it any other way.

yeah the knowledge and experience is worth a bit surely, Theres no way ill be able to stand on the wing tips of mine, pretty weak really but if i get even a single flight out of it ill be happy, then when it breaks ill build version two and work on that.

kiwi

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2018, 06:04:52 PM »
Got a little bit of work done this weekend but had school ball so that tied me up a lot, I added an epoxy fillet between the front wing and the fuz, thatll help a little with the twisting load, would've been better if i had laid some glass in there but if ill be able to see if it starts cracking under load and can grind it off and glass it up.

Decided to go with a chemical mold release instead of a wax. It was to hard to get in there and smooth out the wax or polish it. Coated it with three layers and let it dry. Poured the epoxy in there and gonna let it sit for 5 days to properly go hard then ill be able to heat up the foilmount do it grows a bit then hit it hard with a hammer, should pop right off fingers crossed  ;D

Will post some photos at some point.

SUPeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: August 06, 2018, 05:23:57 AM »
As far as getting a good finish on a wing with or without using a mold, try this.  After applying a fill coat of epoxy resin to the wing, and after it cures, obviously.  Use a cabinet scraper, well sharpened or finely tuned, to scrape off the high spots and brush strokes streaks.  do this until all fill coat is scraped and little or no unscraped areas remain.   Then wet sand in the direction of flow with 300-400 grit wet/dry sand paper.  Using a little dish soap in the water is helpful.  Its ready to surf at this stage, but if you want a deeper, darker, shinier look, here is the next step.  I call it the rub off.    Take the smallest amount of resin and a dry rag.  Rub a small amount of resin onto the wing with gloved fingers.  Very small amount!  Then rub it off with the dry rag. Do only small sections at a time.   The finish will look great, and function well.  The key to all this is the cabinet scraper.  no dusty sanding.  Just very fine epoxy shavings.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 06:17:57 AM by SUPeter »

kiwi

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 10, 2018, 01:20:19 AM »
Popped the mast out of the foilmount plate adapter, the steps didn't end up being a problem, heated up the adapter so it grew a bit then hit it real hard. Popped right off, problem is it doesn't go back in now :'(

Is the top edge of the tuttles usually radiused?

Also the photo of the front wing fillet, will beef it up later with a bit of glass but will be fine for now.

kiwi

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 10, 2018, 01:24:38 AM »
As far as getting a good finish on a wing with or without using a mold, try this.  After applying a fill coat of epoxy resin to the wing, and after it cures, obviously.  Use a cabinet scraper, well sharpened or finely tuned, to scrape off the high spots and brush strokes streaks.  do this until all fill coat is scraped and little or no unscraped areas remain.   Then wet sand in the direction of flow with 300-400 grit wet/dry sand paper.  Using a little dish soap in the water is helpful.  Its ready to surf at this stage, but if you want a deeper, darker, shinier look, here is the next step.  I call it the rub off.    Take the smallest amount of resin and a dry rag.  Rub a small amount of resin onto the wing with gloved fingers.  Very small amount!  Then rub it off with the dry rag. Do only small sections at a time.   The finish will look great, and function well.  The key to all this is the cabinet scraper.  no dusty sanding.  Just very fine epoxy shavings.

Thanks suppeter
is this something you usually use over the top of laminated carbon or glass?
Planning on using black durapox and wetsanding but thanks for the advice  :)

kiwi

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 10, 2018, 03:10:19 AM »
Sanded the tuttle down ever so slightly and it fits snug and also drilled the holes for the bolts and barrel nuts (mine are 9mm diameter, aren't they usually 12mm?)
Bogged the mast to head transition.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 10, 2018, 09:43:39 PM »
Nice work. I'm surprised you got it out so easy. Those tapers are sticky. My friend Rod Parmenter got his GoFoil mast stuck in an aluminum Tuttle to plate adapter and tried to get it out by threading in some bolts and whacking them with a hammer. Bent the shit out of the bolt and I had an interesting time getting it out for him. Then I tried to press the mast out of the adapter with some steel pins--no joy. I had to make a special tool to get enough force on the Tuttle to get it to move. Yeah, I know, my TIG technique is a little sloppy. I'm working on it. Time to clean up the welding tables.

« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 09:50:03 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

kiwi

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 16, 2018, 06:25:18 PM »
Nice work. I'm surprised you got it out so easy. Those tapers are sticky. My friend Rod Parmenter got his GoFoil mast stuck in an aluminum Tuttle to plate adapter and tried to get it out by threading in some bolts and whacking them with a hammer. Bent the shit out of the bolt and I had an interesting time getting it out for him. Then I tried to press the mast out of the adapter with some steel pins--no joy. I had to make a special tool to get enough force on the Tuttle to get it to move. Yeah, I know, my TIG technique is a little sloppy. I'm working on it. Time to clean up the welding tables.

Did you try heating the shit out of the aluminium adapter. The tuttle head won't expand but the alu should've grown just enough to loosen it up a bit. Seems like u figured it out in the end tho, nice work

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal