Author Topic: Diy foil nz  (Read 21758 times)

kiwi

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
Diy foil nz
« on: June 24, 2018, 01:56:12 AM »
Hi all

Background story: I'm 16 years old and live in NZ, I've always been around and on the water and around 6 months ago I got hooked on foiling. The first time I tried it I was being towed around on a friend's foil behind their dinghy and I've been hooked ever since. I've since been on it every now and then but because I don't have one its hard to put the hours in to get good. Long story short I decided to build one.

I started work a few months ago with building the mast, it is made of 4mm balanced E glass plate laminated together to make up 12mm. I then put it on my cnc and cut out the Naca 0010 shape into it.

I'll post photos once I figure out how on earth to do so

kiwi

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
Re: Diy foil nz
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2018, 02:03:45 AM »
Ok here we go

jrandy

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2018, 04:08:09 AM »
Nicely done Kiwi!

Will you be making the rest from the same material?

Mine is languishing in the corner of the living room, wood and foam in an unglassed state.

I occasionally get scrap FR4 from work but always have trouble running it through my small CNC router. Are there any tips for settings (depth per pass, travel speed, stepover, RPM, cutter size) that you'd be willing to share please?
http://pushheretosavealife.com/
Be safe, have fun. -J

kiwi

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2018, 12:47:44 PM »
Thanks Jrandy

The cutter I used is the key to using the cnc for glass plate.
https://www.amanatool.com/46099-end-mill-point-diamond-pattern-composite-cutting-1-4-dia-x-3-4-x-1-4-inch-shank.html

I run it at 1000mm/m at 1mm depth of cut and just set my spindle so it doesn't sound like it's struggling. This cutter is way more capable than this though, have at look at this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ucv3nDgmf3o

The plan for the rest of the foil is to use the same 4mm plate for the fuselage and then to use plywood with a layer of fiberglass for the foils themselves.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2018, 09:54:01 PM »
Glad to see another build on here man. Great work on the mast so far. Looks solid.

SUPeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2018, 04:31:53 AM »
Nice work mate!  Very happy to see people making their own toys.  Once you cover that  mast in 4-6 layers of 3K carbon (preferably vacuum bagged) layed out 2-3 at 90 degrees and 2-3 at 45 degrees. It should be rigid enough for foiling.  Go to the   Diy sup foil   pages for some great ideas on foil construction.   If you have not decided upon a wing profile, a NACA 4415,4416 or 4417 would be a good place to start.  Of course, your body weight will have a lot to do with the profile you choose.   maybe even a 4414 if you are small.    A planshape surface area of maybe 1000- 1300 sq. cm.  Stick with proven planshape, low aspect ratio wing shape.  Again, your body weight is what is dictating wing size.  Be Very Careful!  I can not stress this enough.  Making your own foils can become an absolute addiction.  I once forgot my wife's name and the fact that we have kids.

jrandy

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2018, 10:59:53 AM »
Thanks Jrandy

The cutter I used is the key to using the cnc for glass plate.
https://www.amanatool.com/46099-end-mill-point-diamond-pattern-composite-cutting-1-4-dia-x-3-4-x-1-4-inch-shank.html

I run it at 1000mm/m at 1mm depth of cut and just set my spindle so it doesn't sound like it's struggling. This cutter is way more capable than this though, have at look at this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ucv3nDgmf3o

Thanks for the info Kiwi. We have similar cutters at work. I wish I had the spindle that has the 'snort' to take a 1/4" tool up to maximum cutting capacity...
Be safe, have fun. -J

kiwi

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2018, 03:38:25 PM »
Does anyone have the exact measurements for the gofoil tuttle head?

Im looking into building an adapter similar to sharksupper's build.

Thanks in advance

kiwi

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2018, 11:15:51 PM »
Here some more photos.
Fuz construction is similar to the mast, plan is to epoxy the mast and the three sections of the fuz together with some fasteners through the middle to make one solid structure.
Next up is the stabilizer and the main wing :)

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2018, 12:57:55 AM »
This is looking so clean. Coming along nicely. What's the total width of the fuselage?

kiwi

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2018, 01:47:48 AM »
This is looking so clean. Coming along nicely. What's the total width of the fuselage?

Thanks man, total width is 28mm dropping off to 20mm for the stab.

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2018, 08:35:55 AM »
Wow, that's some gorgeous fab work Kiwi.  Very interested to see where this ends up.

kiwi

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2018, 01:50:46 AM »
I cut the stab on the cnc the other day, a proof of concept for the main foil really. I needed a way to flip it on the machine and keep it from flexing under cutter load so I left a number of uncut support material tabs along the foil. Turned out to be plenty strong enough for the cutter load and it didn't take long to chisel them off and sand them smooth. Ideally I would have a female setup to fully support the material but since these are one off's this will be alright. Machining up the front wing in the next few days and show you all how its sorta going to look like once its finished.
Need to glass these wings because the trailing edge is way too flimsy. I have no doubt that they would be strong enough but it's just the trailing edge than needs some strengthening. 18mm plywood is a lot stiffer than I expected.

kiwi

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2018, 01:51:24 AM »
Wow, that's some gorgeous fab work Kiwi.  Very interested to see where this ends up.

Cheers  :)

jrandy

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2018, 04:54:05 AM »
That is looking great Kiwi.

I like how even the pattern between wood and glue came out in the plywood.

For one-side flat surfboard fins I usually try to design with a minimum trailing edge thickness of .03"[0.8mm] and/or laminate cloth and resin to the flat side before machining. These two thing help keep the splintering to a minimum. I also just use small tabs to keep the part attached to the stock, like .250"[6.5mm] or so wide and .125" [3.2mm] thick.
Be safe, have fun. -J

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal