Author Topic: Coiled leashes any negatives?  (Read 11826 times)

Big Windy

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Re: Coiled leashes any negatives?
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2018, 10:30:03 PM »
I use both coiled and straight leashes with a waist belt in all sized waves.  I break about 10 a year.  Here are my impressions.
When the board gets to the end of a straight leash, it tends to jerk a little more than a coiled leash.  A coiled leash slowly unwinds to full extension, so if you have it attached to a knee or ankle, it is less of a shock on your body.  The main straight leash positive is that it keeps the board away from you.  I find that my board is much closer to me at the end of a wipe-out with a coiled leash than with a straight one.  I don't have many more problems with the coil getting tangled versus a straight one getting caught under the fins when I'm standing.  Here are the types I use for different waves.  Small waves to chest high - 10 foot coil leash because it is out of the way.  Head High to 2x overhead - 10 foot straight leash because it keeps my board away from me.  2x+ - 12 foot straight leash because it keeps my board farther from me and absorbs more shock so it's less likely to break. 

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2018, 06:42:52 AM »
I use both coiled and straight leashes with a waist belt in all sized waves.  I break about 10 a year.  Here are my impressions.
When the board gets to the end of a straight leash, it tends to jerk a little more than a coiled leash.  A coiled leash slowly unwinds to full extension, so if you have it attached to a knee or ankle, it is less of a shock on your body.  The main straight leash positive is that it keeps the board away from you.  I find that my board is much closer to me at the end of a wipe-out with a coiled leash than with a straight one.  I don't have many more problems with the coil getting tangled versus a straight one getting caught under the fins when I'm standing.  Here are the types I use for different waves.  Small waves to chest high - 10 foot coil leash because it is out of the way.  Head High to 2x overhead - 10 foot straight leash because it keeps my board away from me.  2x+ - 12 foot straight leash because it keeps my board farther from me and absorbs more shock so it's less likely to break.

I agree.. I use a coil in most conditions that’s half straight with a knee cuff and the only times I don’t use it is in beach break waves that tumble and spin the board when you fall and cause the coils to tangle.. and in bigger waves when I use a straight leash attached to my ankle.

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2018, 01:08:23 AM »
I tested 8ft straight & coil leash & I still preferred the coil over straight leash.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2018, 08:30:29 AM »
Foiling with leashes?
I'm around foiling almost every time I go out, and I've yet to see anyone use a foil with a leash, I know some people do, but I've only seen that in pics, but most are leashless.

Most of the folks I foiled with in Maui used leashes. I do too. I didn't use a leash when being towed and it's a long swim to retrieve the board. Last year a friend of mine (Chris P.) was foiling at Ka'a point without a leash and his board got away from him. It went nearly all the way to the beach before someone caught it for him. If you've surfed at Ka'a you know that's a very long way and a hell of a long swim. Sometimes foilboards park themselves nicely but sometimes they align with the wave, collect some energy and rocket away. I saw a loose board at the harbor break wall doing a brisk run across the wave face at probably two times wave speed--perhaps twenty MPH--running tilted across the wave face with the lower rail grazing but the foil driving it. It popped out just before it hit the wall and parked there. It would have been totaled if it hit the rocks at that speed, and horrible if it hit someone in the water. The guy went in and got a leash.

I'd say if you're completely alone in the water then foiling without a leash is just a choice of how much swimming you want to do, but I wouldn't count on the foil to keep it parked if there are people around.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Haggis

• Haggis
  • Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2018, 01:22:08 AM »
If its any help i use coiled leash on flatwater and a normal leash in the waves, i find a coiled leash gets tangled up around your leg when you fall off and its a pain to get it untangled standing on your board.
whopper 9 5
jl ww
jp widebody

ctuna

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2018, 01:11:47 PM »
Got a full coil off ebay and have used it a coupe of times in
small surf medium kelp.(15 bucks )
I like the way it stays on the board doesn't seem to stop
me from walking the board and less drag (may be imagining
this that )
Only place it feels a little strange is when I am in the water
by the board and its pulling up a little.

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
  • Super Natural British Columbia
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2019, 05:27:28 PM »
One good word for the design work of DJ on the Balin Monster Coil leash.
I just purchased a second one. I use them with a belt and cannot be happier. All the small details that make you forget about the leash and that are super useful and show that the person that made the suggestions know what he is talking about and what is useful.
Sunova Allwater 14'x25.5" 303L Viento 520
Sunova Torpedo 14'x27" 286L Salish 500
Naish Nalu 11'4" x 30" 180L Andaman 520
Sunova Steeze 10' x 31" 150L
Blackfish Paddles

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal