Author Topic: Coiled leashes any negatives?  (Read 11794 times)

ctuna

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Coiled leashes any negatives?
« on: June 22, 2018, 09:18:07 AM »
Coiled leashes any negatives?
Trying to avoid the kelp but do walk the board.

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
Re: Coiled leashes any negatives?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2018, 09:35:57 AM »
I use one in back-bay flatwater.  In a few weeks we will get a seaweed bloom and a dragging leash can get green hair all over it.  I stopped using one in the surf — they get all knotted-n-kinky. 

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2018, 09:42:32 AM »
Fine if you never fall, best on flatwater board. Fall once and you'll spend a bit getting the coil to look like a coil again and not just a jumble of coard.  I have one I've used in a pinch on small days in kelp but straight is almost always a better option in surf.

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2018, 12:40:26 PM »
The Balin SUP Monster Coil Leash which is half-coil, half-straight, with a calf/knee cuff is a good compromise. Never use coiled leashes in surf (although if you have to, use one like this Balin one not a full coil).

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2018, 01:56:14 PM »
Coil leash is good in any condition (flat, ocean & surf). I'm surprised not many brands is doing it (hint hint). I think FCS got a few range.

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2018, 06:37:18 PM »
My first board had a coiled leash. No good in surf. You step on it a lot and it gets tangled when you fall.

Coiled leashes are for flatwater only.
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

ospreysup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2018, 07:24:34 PM »
Coiled = recoil and that recoil is towards you. That just can't be good in the surf and particularly if you get caught inside. A calf or waist leash will get more of the leash out of the water  but if I were choosing between kelp or recoil  in surf sign me up for kelp.

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2018, 07:39:47 PM »
One word: Waste Leash (actually two).  I use an 8 foot leash on what ever length board i am on and happily paddle thru out kelp, eel grass, and boa (garland) seaweed without it catching hardly any at all. Also, the waste leash allows me to walk around on my nose rider and has other benefits as well.

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2018, 03:47:13 AM »
Coiled = recoil and that recoil is towards you. That just can't be good in the surf and particularly if you get caught inside.

The recoil in a coiled leash is so weak that it's of no concern. The bigger problem is when coiled leashes get stretched out. In the surf, the recoil often ends up in a tangled mess.
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2018, 03:38:07 PM »
Yes the disadvantage of coil is tangled up but advantage are better than straight cord. I dont find the recoil is an issue with 10ft length.

liv2surf

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2018, 06:00:18 PM »
This thread has been very informative. I paddle 95% in the surf and the coiled leashes have intrigued me because they won't drag, cause drag or get caught on occasional floating kelp. However, I understand from a number of comments that the the coiled leashed become a mess when they are pulled hard from a surf wipeout in the surf. I will not be buying a coiled leash.
5'6 Quatro Wingdrifter Pro 105L; Cabrinha Mantis 3.1m, 4m, 5m and 6m; Axis 1000 (1150, 1020); Project Cedrus 91 cm carbon mast (68 cm fuse, 440/5000 rear); 9'6" CRUZ Surf foil SUP (152L); Chinook Thrust 92 Paddle -- fixed 78" length; 'prone' longboards on the rack, kites in the garage.

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2018, 06:29:49 PM »
Just started using a coiled leash for foiling after my straight one kept getting caught up, and around the trailing wing and/or mast on about 40% of the wipeouts. Since using the coiled leash on just about as many sessions now I was using the straight leash on...it got tangled once around the rear wing, and that's been it. Really like it stays out of the water when paddling, and used it on my last SUP sesh, and liked is a lot more that the straight leash that I seem to always get my paddle caught in after a plant it to turn around, make the turn, and when trying to change sides with the paddle...I'm tangled in the dang straight leash with the paddle. Didn't have that happen once with the coiled leash (but only have once sesh with it, and didn't always get caught with the straight leash, so don't want to jump to absolutes just yet wrt that detail between the two).

As far as "recoil": can't really tell any difference, and have even thought to myself that it even seemed like the coiled recall was less, but negligible really...but either way, I personally can't see any remarkable difference in recoil between the two.

When it comes to getting stretched out, that does concern me, because after some real good pulls on it, it sure does seem like it doesn't coil back as much as it was before the pull. Although a short time later when looking at it again, it appears to have gone back to close to what it was earlier, or at least pretty close to in anyway.

Once I'm done using it, I also wrap it around about a 10" piece of paddle shaft I had leftover after shortening one, and once it's coiled around it...I tighten in up as tight as I can get it, and it always right back into it's original shape the next time I'm ready to go out with it the next day. Not sure it that's really necessary, but it came wrapped around a short, thick cardboard tube, so figured I'd just continue wrapping it using the paddle shaft I had laying around anyway.
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2018, 06:49:00 PM »
Once I'm done using it I wrap it around about a 10" piece of paddle shaft and once it's coiled around it...I tighten in up as tight as I can get it, and it always right back into it's original shape.
That's genius!

Just started using a coiled leash for foiling after my straight one kept getting caught up, and around the trailing wing and/or mast on about 40% of the wipeouts. Since using the coiled leash on just about as many sessions now I was using the straight leash on...it got tangled once around the rear wing, and that's been it.
My foil should be here this week and hopefully I will get moving w/it (finally). I'm gonna stick w/my 8' straight leash attached to the waist leash for starters...then if I actually learn this foiling thing I'll consider a coiled leash.
One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"
9'11" PSH Hull Ripper-145 ltr    
9'3" PSH  Hull Ripper- 130ltr 
8'0" Corevac Assassin -127 ltr   
Paddles- Carbonerro PRO SERIES 85 & Riviera Camo at 70"

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2018, 07:18:58 PM »
My foil should be here this week and hopefully I will get moving w/it (finally). I'm gonna stick w/my 8' straight leash attached to the waist leash for starters...then if I actually learn this foiling thing I'll consider a coiled leash.
If I might...

From my experience, it seems that 80% of my biggest wipeouts are from the wing breaching, and me getting launched over the handlebars and out in front of the oncoming board...and FOIL! :o

Needless to say I'm always happy having that 10' attached to my leg (ankle would be better, but I like it off the board) so that it's gives me as much length as possible to get away from it...since I'm using up 7' already since I'm going off the front, and the leash is attached to the rear of it (7'3" board).

So if I were to use an 8' leash around my waist, when I go off the front which is the highest probability when I'm foiling....unless the board and foil spin 180o (which I've not seen too often when I come up out of the water)....I've got the nose of the board basically a foot behind my back, and head that I'm now pulling into myself with it, and the nose of the foil a couple feet behind that...not something I'm all too wild about. :'(

Not sure how short your board is going to be, but I'd definitely do the math with the idea that going off/over the nose at high speed when you're learning to control the breaching...is probably more probable than going off any other direction combined in the overall learning curve and scheme of things. At least that's been my experience....YMMV.

Just something to consider is all. See what others think wrt that as well.

Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

ospreysup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2018, 08:52:48 PM »
I have never used a coiled leash so definitely not speaking from any experience but PonoBill posted this back sometime and it convinced me so I thought I would repost. That said, the foil definitely adds a dimension that has to be considered. The video was made in 2010, pre foil popularity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUrsktN6-cg

* Recent Posts

post Re: GPT 5, Sam Altman, What's coming
[Random]
PonoBill
March 17, 2024, 05:30:44 PM
post Re: 2024 North Mode Pro wings:
[Classifieds]
cnski
March 17, 2024, 05:09:04 PM
post Re: HOT Chicks on Stand Up Paddle Boards!
[SUP General]
burchas
March 17, 2024, 08:50:00 AM
[SUP General]
Night Wing
March 16, 2024, 07:02:05 PM
[SUP General]
blueplanetsurf
March 16, 2024, 03:28:57 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 14, 2024, 12:38:42 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 13, 2024, 07:59:28 PM
post Re: FS - Ocean Rodeo Glide A-Series Wings (3m/ 4m / 5m), USA
[Classifieds]
StellaBlu
March 12, 2024, 07:27:21 AM
post FS - Kalama Barracuda
[Classifieds]
VB_Foil
March 11, 2024, 05:43:58 PM
post Re: Vision Pro
[Random]
Bean
March 11, 2024, 03:46:42 PM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 09, 2024, 11:06:32 AM
post Happy International Women's Day, lady zoners!
[General Discussion]
LaPerouseBay
March 08, 2024, 07:28:47 PM
[Random]
Admin
March 08, 2024, 04:45:53 AM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 06, 2024, 11:00:24 PM