Author Topic: Trade wars: will this affect SUP prices?  (Read 5315 times)

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Trade wars: will this affect SUP prices?
« on: June 21, 2018, 11:55:00 PM »
In retaliation for Trump’s import tariffs on goods imported from the European Union, the EU has slapped a tariff of 25% on a range of goods from the US. One of these categories of goods is the following:

“Vessels for pleasure or sports, rowing boats and canoes, of a weight <= 100 kg each (excl. motor boats powered other than by outboard motors, sailboats with or without auxiliary motor and inflatable boats)”.

Does anyone know if this will apply to SUPs, and if so, do these import duties apply to products manufactured in non-US countries for US-registered countries, or only to boards actually built in the US (e.g. a SIC custom)?

Full list of import tariffs here:

http://trade.ec.europa.eu/doclib/docs/2018/may/tradoc_156909.pdf

Of course, China and other countries are also implementing retaliatory import tariffs on US goods as well, so maybe these changes might indirectly affect SUP production somehow? I don’t know how the supply chains work or how import tariffs work in respect of them. Is there anyone here who knows about these things?

SUPs are already crazy expensive in the EU. For instance, a 10ft Fanatic Stylemaster Ltd surf SUP costs the equivalent of $2184 dollars US in the UK at today’s exchange rate. We really don’t need any further price hikes.

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Trade wars: will this affect SUP prices?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2018, 04:54:25 AM »
T-shirts, footwear ...   the list goes on.

Two things I feared for w/ Trump. For the environment and that he'd create a war to hang on to power. Here we go...

Import your stuff via Switzerland. Maybe for once stuff in Switzerland will be cheaper than elsewhere.

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2018, 10:24:58 AM »
A10...  Culture a friend in OZ.  I have gotten two SW boards.  The 12.6 Venom was the last.  My guy simply bought it for me and carried it over to a Pack-N-Ship.  They put it on a boat.  That venture was needlessly more complicated than the others I have gotten via Air Freight - partially because I did not know 'the system'. 

The best way to avoid the disputes-n-hassles — find a shape Bert at SUNNOVA styled and have Martin send you one.  I think they have a very similar board to the SW Mistress/Fanatic Stylemaster.

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

Weasels wake

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2018, 10:38:18 AM »
It may sound too simplistic for some but,,,,,,,,,,,, buy local, you should be anyway whenever you can.
It takes a quiver to do that.

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2018, 11:02:32 AM »
"Make America Great Again"   So are we great yet?
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2018, 12:06:28 PM »
I’m surprised that phrase ever gained any traction because I’m not even a US citizen and I can’t think of any time in the last 200+ years that the USA hasn’t been great. The phrase seems strangely unpatriotic to me. But then I’m not a US citizen so I probably don’t understand the psychology of it.

Anyway, yes, Weasel’s Wake, buy local. But that isn’t always possible, especially outside the US. But I guess these trade tariffs on US goods might be just the impetus that a lot of local businesses need (not just SUP) to start trying to replace US products in the local market. Bourbon made in Paris, anyone? :)

Great shame if SIC customs increase 25% in price for European countries (and elsewhere, perhaps) though.

Some of these tariffs are specifically economically targeted to damage the local economies of the regions that voted for Trump. I didn’t know that Trump was big in the areas that manufacture canoes etc...?

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2018, 08:59:20 AM »
... I can’t think of any time in the last 200+ years that the USA hasn’t been great. The phrase seems strangely unpatriotic to me.

Great observation A-10, I sense many feel the same about that.

digger71

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2018, 11:15:29 AM »
... I can’t think of any time in the last 200+ years that the USA hasn’t been great. The phrase seems strangely unpatriotic to me.

Great observation A-10, I sense many feel the same about that.

I would venture that a great many Americans believe the USA is, and always has been, great - always room for improvement but better than the alternatives in our eyes.  This type of slogan is directed at those who aren't happy with their situation. And like many things Trump, it is not original.  Reagan prominently used the slogan in the 1980 presidential election so this tactic has been part of American politics for quite some time.

connector14

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2018, 12:53:02 PM »
I guess that truly goes to show that nothing about Trump is truly unique.....or great for that matter :)  :o
"never leave the dock without your paddle"
Imagine Rocket 14 ...my new favorite, smooth and fast and lite
2018 Red Paddle 14 x 27 Elite
2014 Bark Dominator 14....smooth and quiet
2014 Imagine Connector 14...the "barge"

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2018, 09:00:56 PM »
True that. The reality is that America will probably never be great again, and certainly not as a result of Trump looting the treasury for his cronies and screwing up the economy. It takes about three to six years to see the true effects of economic manipulation--usually. That's intentional, politicians love to extend nasty shit to times beyond their watch. Trump is doing it in real time. I never thought a president could screw up the economy all by himself, and in fact, Trump couldn't, but unfortunately he has a congressional majority to help him, and all the adults in his cabinet are long gone.

The "not great" thing is just math. The rest of the world is catching up. It's a good thing. Extreme poverty is almost gone, replaced by simple poverty and a generational climb beyond that. There are 350 thousand Americans. That leaves 7.2 billion other people. The "Western World" is approximately 2 billion people. Everything else is 5.7 billion. "The west and the rest" is no longer valid from the standpoint of economics (and most other measures as well). 3 Billion people buying a $100 cell phone is a lot more important than 100 million people buying a $700 dollar one--by every measure. Immediate revenue, long-term revenue, economic impact, cultural impact. The world is modernizing and the Western world has the inevitable drag of legacy infrastructure.

Ultimately, I think Noam Chomsky is right--Trump is a distraction, a clown doing outlandish things that hold attention while his cronies run their con games. Watching that dipshit draft dodger "review" the troops made me gag, but it's just a shot of flash powder to distract from the money game.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2018, 03:12:22 AM »
He's definitely out there that president, in your face and politics sux. Our dollar's down at the moment in oz and I haven't bought usa goods in a while. I don't understand the trade wars and all I know most/some/mojarity of us are modern day slaves.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2018, 03:59:00 AM »
Make America Great Again is one of those sounds good phrases with no particular meaning or definition.  All emotion, no substance or measure.  That makes it great for rallying the willing. 

One thing (there are many) that has made America great is the really remarkable structure of the constitution itself and even more specifically the seperation of powers.  That may be be undergoing its greatest test right now.  We had the Supreme Court change hands in a manner that truly pushed (arguably exceeded)  the intent of the document.  We have a president who consistently denigrates and threatens the fundamentals of the old paper (due process, freedom of speech, freedom or religion, free press, etc.).  We have a Congress that is so self protective that they are in no way representatives (Both sides).  Who would have thought we would have Tea Party Republicans pushing for increasing our Debt to new highs, and seemingly OK with Russian election interference.   

I hope that the outrage over the current border situation is enough to spark the opposition to vote in November but I am very suspect that our notable laziness will win out or that someone new will be called low IQ and POOF we will forget what Texas is again.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 04:05:47 AM by Admin »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2018, 05:36:06 AM »
Oops, 350 Million--those darn zeros.

Sad thing about rallying the willing--I'm reminded of the Polish atrocities in WWII. There was no particular reason for the Poles to exterminate neighbors they had lived with for generations, just that the Nazis let them.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 05:41:28 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2018, 05:40:30 AM »
It seems pointless to re-run the debate about the pros and cons of Trump. I don’t know anyone who has changed their mind on him, and part of the problem is that neither side listens to the concerns of the other to try to see what can be done. “Othering” (the practice of creating an “out” group which the “in group” can blame for all their woes and thereby recruit new people to their cause) is rife on both sides.

I spent a long taxi journey in Dallas recently listening carefully to the thoughts of the taxi driver, who was a Trump supporter and NRA member. His political affiliations were pretty much the polar opposite of mine, but it was clear that he had cogent arguments in favour of his positions, and that the concerns he expressed were real - or at least seemed as real as those an anti-Trump Democrat would raise. It seemed possible that a sensible compromise could be reached between his positions and those of my anti-Trump colleagues I’d listened to the night before. But compromise and listening doesn’t seem to be popular any more. It’s all about polarising, name-calling and threatening.

So instead, my original post was focussed only on a pragmatic issue: will the trade wars started by the US government affect SUP? For instance, Starboard is I think a European company? And it supports US athletes. In a tit-for-tat trade war we’d likely see huge import duties on Starboard into the US (since it looks like the EU is already taxing US SUP products, maybe? Does anyone here know?). This would likely affect Starboard significantly and no doubt their sponsorship deals.

Similarly, I was asking if import duties are applied to the country of manufacture or the nationality of the company. So, if US SUP products are subject to import duty by the EU, would a Jimmy Lewis board made in Vietnam be subject to an import duty if it was bought by someone in France?

It is clear that the true implications of Trump’s attempts to protect one area of US industry is already starting to unfold in unexpected directions - and he is now launching direct verbal attacks (and threatening targeted economic attacks) upon *US* companies. So what might SUPers expect, with a sport as global as SUP?

https://news.sky.com/story/trump-harley-davidsons-should-never-be-built-elsewhere-11417021

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2018, 05:54:20 AM »
I'm not so sure about changing minds. I'm theoretically a Republican. It would be difficult to find someone more conservative from a philosophy or government perspective. I'm prepared to vote a straight Democrat ticket if only to toss a wrench into the current works. I don't see that as a general solution to self-serving politicians governing poorly--both parties do that. I suspect the Republican plan is "get very rich and get out". I plan to do my minor part to help them. I know a substantial number of people who feel the same. Of course with gerrymandering and the absurd amounts of money flowing into politics, it's hard to predict how that will really play out.

* Recent Posts

post Re: GPT 5, Sam Altman, What's coming
[Random]
PonoBill
March 17, 2024, 05:30:44 PM
post Re: 2024 North Mode Pro wings:
[Classifieds]
cnski
March 17, 2024, 05:09:04 PM
post Re: HOT Chicks on Stand Up Paddle Boards!
[SUP General]
burchas
March 17, 2024, 08:50:00 AM
[SUP General]
Night Wing
March 16, 2024, 07:02:05 PM
[SUP General]
blueplanetsurf
March 16, 2024, 03:28:57 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 14, 2024, 12:38:42 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 13, 2024, 07:59:28 PM
post Re: FS - Ocean Rodeo Glide A-Series Wings (3m/ 4m / 5m), USA
[Classifieds]
StellaBlu
March 12, 2024, 07:27:21 AM
post FS - Kalama Barracuda
[Classifieds]
VB_Foil
March 11, 2024, 05:43:58 PM
post Re: Vision Pro
[Random]
Bean
March 11, 2024, 03:46:42 PM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 09, 2024, 11:06:32 AM
post Happy International Women's Day, lady zoners!
[General Discussion]
LaPerouseBay
March 08, 2024, 07:28:47 PM
[Random]
Admin
March 08, 2024, 04:45:53 AM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 06, 2024, 11:00:24 PM