Author Topic: Another One Bites The Dust  (Read 4481 times)

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
Another One Bites The Dust
« on: June 20, 2018, 09:14:43 AM »
While one of the original "pop-out" dealers to show up in our area, they did eventually come around to at least shaping their own boards, and not just buying containers of someone else's copied design...and also offering them in custom shapes, and/or glassed locally by one of the best glassers in the area if you wanted to pay a little more for that. But that seems to be coming to an end, as it appears that Riviera SUPs are indeed closing their doors as has been the rumor on the beach for about a year now.

Going to their website you can find some pretty incredible deals on whatever they have left in stock wrt boards, and some accessories...but most all of their stuff is "Sold Out" now, and it doesn't look like they have any intention of replenishing their supply.

Looks like they're still offering/accepting some "custom" orders, but that's about it in the way of board choices go with the exception of the couple leftover race boards, and one small surf (83 liter) SUP model.

Rivi boards were all over the place just a year or so ago (locally anyway), and were often the "higher end beginner" boards we saw out there, so it's quite an interesting statement on the state of affairs in the SUP industry with them appearing to be bowing out of the competition (both literally, and figuratively), and that's a shame...the Rambos are a good family, and did quite a bit in introducing the sport to quite a few people around here. Sorry to see them go, although Brandon can be seen out on a foil nowadays, so who knows what the future holds for them...Riviera Foils?  ;) :)
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Another One Bites The Dust
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2018, 09:55:18 AM »
One of the earliest boards I rented for friends to try out was a Riviera.  Although I wasn't much of a fan of the shape or the way it surfed, It served its purpose that day and got us all out on the ocean together. I've seen newer offerings and they seemed to have improved quite a bit.

I love the move to full custom, and I hope that works for them. I like stuff being built here, and I wish them the best as our industry matures. The die-off of pop out companies is likely to only escalate in the future, leaving just a few ultra low-margin boards scattered around, and requiring a bit more of an investment for a quality piece of equipment.

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2018, 12:16:27 PM »
Too bad. Rivie's a solid build. South End Surf And Paddle here on Long Beach Island has carried them since they opened about 5 years ago and is an authorized dealer. I almost bought a Machete back then but it only came in a 2+1. When I stumbled on the Isle Performance sup w/a five box (fins included) and carbon fiber paddle I went w/that.  Always wanted to demo an El Tigre. They look super fun.

The Isle performance was very close in shape to the Machete.

One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"
9'11" PSH Hull Ripper-145 ltr    
9'3" PSH  Hull Ripper- 130ltr 
8'0" Corevac Assassin -127 ltr   
Paddles- Carbonerro PRO SERIES 85 & Riviera Camo at 70"

NorthJerzSurfer

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2018, 04:48:40 AM »
Too bad. Rivie's a solid build. South End Surf And Paddle here on Long Beach Island has carried them since they opened about 5 years ago and is an authorized dealer. I almost bought a Machete back then but it only came in a 2+1. When I stumbled on the Isle Performance sup w/a five box (fins included) and carbon fiber paddle I went w/that.  Always wanted to demo an El Tigre. They look super fun.

The Isle performance was very close in shape to the Machete.

Cheers to South End.  They took care of me on a Riviera issue even when Riviera wouldnt....and I didnt even buy my board there.  the owner (forget his name) was a class act.  Always try to give him buisness when im down on LBI.

it will be interesting to see what brand he picks up when i was there the showroom was almost all Riv boards

SaMoSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2018, 08:17:33 AM »
It would be interesting to see how Focus does since Mo parted with the brand.

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2018, 08:25:15 AM »
Cheers to South End. the owner (forget his name) was a class act.  Always try to give him business when I'm down on LBI.
Nice! The owner is Ken "Ken Brah" Gallant.
He is one of the true LBI locals having been raised and here his entire life. I too try and give him business whenever possible and tell peopl it's one of the best stocked and staffed sup surf shops here in NJ. He's been really good to me over the years always hooking me up w/whatever water sport related item I might be in need of. Me and a buddy do a ukulele workshop there once a week all summer long if you're interested in making some sounds. Usually Tue nights 6-8 or so.

One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"

NorthJerzSurfer

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2018, 09:43:45 AM »
It would be interesting to see how Focus does since Mo parted with the brand.

I also wondered this as well.  I owned 2 rivieras and now a Focus and the Focus is a far superior board in ALL aspects IMHO.

supsurf-tw

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2018, 10:18:57 AM »
So does this mean no more annual Riviera party at the Rambo's house??
Boards:

8-10 x 31 Egg
8-11 X 32 Double wing Fangtail Tom Whitaker
8-6 X 30 1\2  Inbetweener Tom Whitaker
8-4 x 30 Hyper quad Tom Whitaker (wife's now)
8-4 X 31 1\4.  Round (wide) Diamond Tail Quad Tom Whitaker
 9-4 X 30 1\2. Swallow Stinger Quad Tom Whitaker (ex wifes now)
10-0 Brusurf for teach

capobeachboy

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2018, 12:01:03 AM »
SanO:  did you see a press release or is this just chatter?  A container of their more popular models landed on the east coast a few weeks ago and were quickly snatched up by the Mid-Atlantic dealers ands they are hoping to do more. South End was flying the Rivy tent & flags at their race last month. The east coast and mid west is still a few years behind California and there is a chance for the brand to continue.

Cook: the 8’2” El Tigre is an incredible board. I wish I never sold mine. If Kenny has a demo you should check it out.
West Coast Distributor
Dolphin Surfcraft
DEEP Ocean Boards
Ambassador/team rider/rep
KeNalu Paddles

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2018, 12:32:10 AM »

If anyone is seriously jonesing, there's an 8’2 El Tigre currently for sale in my neighborhood:

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/spo/d/sup-surf-standup-paddle-board/6621352742.html

RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2018, 07:23:30 AM »
If anyone is seriously jonesing, there's an 8’2 El Tigre currently for sale in my neighborhood:
https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/spo/d/sup-surf-standup-paddle-board/6621352742.html

That El Tigre is looking super sweet! I'll hafta settle for a rivie rash guard though.  :P

« Last Edit: June 23, 2018, 07:26:23 AM by surfercook »

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2018, 09:01:40 AM »
SanO:  did you see a press release or is this just chatter?
Capo, it was hot off the presses of "The Rumor Control Daily" (ie. just chatter on the beach). Guys have been talking about it for the past year or more, and most recently that their warehouse has been like their annual "warehouse sale" blowing things out...but not just a two day sale, but one going on daily. Now again, this is all just from guys I've known a long time who've been up there in the last couple of months who've told me this, and I've not talked with  any of the Rambos or MB personally to ask them the question(s) directly.

Their website also seems to be "saying" similar things, with all boards listed as "Sold Out" (with the exception of two race boards), all of their paddles, fins, board and paddle bags with the same "Sold Out tags, and all of their remaining handles and apparel are all discounted 80% or more. So to me, that just doesn't look like a company that's looking to continuing operations full steam (or even half steam) ahead, but rather one who's shutting things down, and coasting to an eventual complete stop.

But I, and the rumors could all be 100% wrong, and Rivi is just revamping, retooling, reorganizing, re-whatevering their operations to throttle back up in the not too distant future. So I guess the next time I see Brandon on his foil, I'll have to remember to paddle over, and ask him, "Hey, what's happening with Rivi?", and get the the real "411" on what's really going on with all of them.
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

* Recent Posts

post Re: GPT 5, Sam Altman, What's coming
[Random]
PonoBill
March 17, 2024, 05:30:44 PM
post Re: 2024 North Mode Pro wings:
[Classifieds]
cnski
March 17, 2024, 05:09:04 PM
post Re: HOT Chicks on Stand Up Paddle Boards!
[SUP General]
burchas
March 17, 2024, 08:50:00 AM
[SUP General]
Night Wing
March 16, 2024, 07:02:05 PM
[SUP General]
blueplanetsurf
March 16, 2024, 03:28:57 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 14, 2024, 12:38:42 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 13, 2024, 07:59:28 PM
post Re: FS - Ocean Rodeo Glide A-Series Wings (3m/ 4m / 5m), USA
[Classifieds]
StellaBlu
March 12, 2024, 07:27:21 AM
post FS - Kalama Barracuda
[Classifieds]
VB_Foil
March 11, 2024, 05:43:58 PM
post Re: Vision Pro
[Random]
Bean
March 11, 2024, 03:46:42 PM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 09, 2024, 11:06:32 AM
post Happy International Women's Day, lady zoners!
[General Discussion]
LaPerouseBay
March 08, 2024, 07:28:47 PM
[Random]
Admin
March 08, 2024, 04:45:53 AM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 06, 2024, 11:00:24 PM