Author Topic: Where are guys foiling in Santa Cruz  (Read 7950 times)

Evan Lloyd

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Where are guys foiling in Santa Cruz
« on: June 17, 2018, 04:51:01 PM »
I’ve been here for three days and can’t get it dialed. The beaches have been tough due to stormy conditions. Town was fantastic, but the kelp was driving me insane. I’d get flying and feeling good, than Bam!!! - Over the handlebars.

Local sup shop recommended Cowells but it’s Cowells and there seems to always be a big crowd of rookie surfers.

I was thinking Davenport, but that place is usually booming.

If any of you have any ideas, I’m all ears. If you don’t want to name spots, you can message me.

Thanks for the help.

IRideYellow

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Where are guys foiling in Santa Cruz
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2018, 06:34:07 PM »
Try Manresa State Beach which is kelp free. 
Starboard WidePoint 8'10, Sunova 8'10 Speeed (Sold), Wardog  7'10 Jammer,  L41 8'8 S3 (sold), Naish Mana 10 (sold), 3 Wavestorm 9'6

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2018, 07:11:26 PM »
Depending on the sandbars, any of the beaches south of town are good for foiling.

In town there are just a few spots that are workable and even then, only at high tide.

Mr. Kelp never takes a day off.

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2018, 07:18:09 PM »
Although if you see a crowd on the beach, they are not there because they're foiling fans.

Evan Lloyd

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2018, 08:02:55 PM »
The kelp is a huge bummer. Town was so good this afternoon but the kelp was having it’s way with me.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2018, 10:06:53 PM »
It's not just foiling. The kelp has ended many a good wave with a faceplant exit for me. Cowells is hardly kelp free except for the most trodden path through it, which is usually packed with beginning surfers. No place for a foil.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2018, 10:20:03 PM »
 Kelp is the least of your worries at Cowell's.

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2018, 10:49:52 PM »
Davenport can be kelp-free, especially the softish right on the north side.  The left needs some south size and mid-tide to work for a foil, otherwise the pocket is right over the kelp.  I haven't yet had luck with the right on the other side of the reef, but it looks like it could work

Evan Lloyd

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2018, 07:43:21 PM »
I tried Manresa again but it was too big for foiling. Head high closeouts and foils don’t mix too well. Unfazed, I drove up to Cowells and had a great session. I scored parking in the main lot and didnt have to brave the stairs. The waves were great and the crowd was very manageable. I was able to pick my way through the group and grab a wave here and there- never really staying in one spot. I had my best flights yet and stayed in control from take off to landing. I left feeling very excited.

Santa Cruz was almost a bust, but Cowells saved the day. I haven’t surfed there in 10 years, but I’ll definitely be going back soon.

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2018, 10:49:36 PM »
I had a very fun session this morning at pleasure point.  nothing else looked good, so I figured what the hell.  Put the Maliko 200 on and paddled out through the kelp forrest.  I had to be super strategic finding a takeoff spot that had a little runway without kelp, then I had to get up high quick to keep from hitting any weeds/kelp.  It was actually super fun steering around and in between the bigger heads - felt like a video game.  I was pleasantly surprised to find that as long as I stayed up high, the foil will slide right up and over weeds and kelp.

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2018, 09:56:16 PM »
High tide Pleasure Point works.

Once the tide drops, see photo #2.

Evan Lloyd

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2018, 08:49:38 AM »
High tide Pleasure Point works.

Once the tide drops, see photo #2.

I remember when I tried to foil Shark’s. I caught a beautiful right that lined up nicely. I got flying and I was thinking - this is going to be my  wave of the day. 1 seconds later I launched from my board as it came to a complete stop with no warning. The foil hit a patch of kelp and I was toast. I spent 10 minutes trying to extract the foil from the kelp. I was super grumpy by the time made it back to the beach. Now I stick with the beaches or Cowells.

opie

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2018, 07:42:24 PM »
What about Capitola jetty.  The cam makes it look good on days that are too big most places.  Is it filled with kelp?

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2018, 11:14:33 PM »
Even though it was high tide, I got a half dozen today at Indicators that I was able to ride to the beach - at least quarter mile rides.  The big ones were just barely breaking at Indicators and then backing off and reforming.  Once I got on the wave it was super wide rolling swell and I could carve back and forth.  Honestly, I've never had a bad day at Cowells/Indicators.

Evan Lloyd

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2018, 11:52:27 AM »
That is good to know.  I've SUPd indicators a hundred times, but my memory was that it had a lot of kelp.  I'm sure the tide helps. 

Even though it was high tide, I got a half dozen today at Indicators that I was able to ride to the beach - at least quarter mile rides.  The big ones were just barely breaking at Indicators and then backing off and reforming.  Once I got on the wave it was super wide rolling swell and I could carve back and forth.  Honestly, I've never had a bad day at Cowells/Indicators.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal