Author Topic: Informative article about The Ranch  (Read 4763 times)

LB Surper

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
Informative article about The Ranch
« on: June 16, 2018, 04:46:06 PM »
I never would have thunk that paddling 2 miles could be this dangerous:

http://www.latimes.com/local/california/la-me-lopez-hollister-06172018-story.html

I guess the way the beach faces, an afternoon onshore could be difficult to paddle against.
NSP DC 14'
Naish Hokua 9'6"
Mistral Diamond Head 8'6"
Naish Glide 14"

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
Re: Informative article about The Ranch
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2018, 09:26:31 PM »
I enjoyed that article. Very cool access to The Ranch is being pursued. It always seemed like such a magical and hidden place. I do believe this video has two surfers visiting The Ranch. I saw it yrs ago and when I read the article it immediately came to mind. I couldn't find any other info on the video except from the public library here in Ocean County, NJ ( where I first discovered it). I requested it once again and will check it out.

It is available on Amazon it seems.
https://www.amazon.com/Best-Hours-Day-Surfers-Journey/dp/B000N33IVM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1529209474&sr=8-1&keywords=Best+hours+of+the+day+a+surfers+journey
One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"
9'11" PSH Hull Ripper-145 ltr    
9'3" PSH  Hull Ripper- 130ltr 
8'0" Corevac Assassin -127 ltr   
Paddles- Carbonerro PRO SERIES 85 & Riviera Camo at 70"

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2018, 02:20:28 AM »
Yeah, I've wanted to make the paddle but the map tells me that getting back in the afternoon could be near impossible with winds.

Glad their coastal access plan is too dangerous for the average citizen.

seadart

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2018, 07:37:54 PM »
I wonder if this article is part of a misinformation project keep people away.  I have paddled from Jalama county park, launching at Tarantualas , down around Point Conception and ending up at Gaviota, kayak surfing along the way at the Ranch ( don't land on the beach if anyone is watching).    That is about 18 miles,  and we did this with several 50+ year old women (they actually know how to kayak).  In the winter this could be a seriously nasty trip since Jalama and the Point often get huge waves.  In the summer if you check for the right weather conditions the four + mile trip launching from  Gaviota state beach would not be dangerous.  Yes there are strong winds blowing offshore there at times, but it's not like they are hugely unpredictable  and when they do blow offshore you can hug the coast.  The problem here was that the  rental company was practicing CYA  and the Hero, had zero kayaking skills apparently which tipped off the rental company. My friend who lives in Lompoc and surfs Jalama told us a lot of the issues are actually from the Air Force who don't want large numbers of tourists in the area near Vandenburg. The guy who made the trip, did it in a super wide fishing SOT,  not exactly  the most seaworthy kayak for high winds.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2018, 07:41:28 PM by seadart »

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2018, 05:12:47 AM »
A neighbor of mine in Half Moon Bay is one of the pioneers who is fighting Vinod Khosla for access to Martin's beach.   Khosla bought a plot of land with the only 'unfettered' access to a beach.  Local surfers are pissed because he stopped charging $20 for access and just closed the gate.  Now they want to get to the beach for free.

I have never surfed at Martins because 1) It (used to) cost money 2) It was far from town 3) The break isn't all that great. 

I spent my money on an electric bike and surf for 'free' on marginal to great breaks 100% alone 50% of the time.  Some people would rather fight than think. 

Ironically it was the promise of Property Rights that lured many of our ancestors to this Country in the first place risking life and limb on rickety, sickly craft 1,000X further than this Hero on his plastic kayak.   

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/04/24/martins-beach-supreme-court-moves-closer-to-taking-case-over-billionaire-vinod-khoslas-attempt-to-block-public-access/   

“There’s this paradox of protecting a place from being loved to death by the public, which I can see. But having this amazing stretch of coast for just those who can afford it, that’s not right, either,” he said. “I always thought what would strike middle ground would be walk-in access. I don’t want to see big parking lots or snack shops or anything like that at Hollister. I want to see as little development as possible. But I’d like to see people be able to walk in under their own power, and not be hassled by security.”
« Last Edit: June 18, 2018, 05:18:17 AM by Beasho »

supsurf-tw

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2018, 05:50:15 AM »
Kayacks are one thing (Low paddling profile). SUP is out of the question IMO. I spent 8 years on the Ranch and I'm here to tell you that unless the conditions are perfect ALL DAY that you will not have an enjoyable trip.
Boards:

8-10 x 31 Egg
8-11 X 32 Double wing Fangtail Tom Whitaker
8-6 X 30 1\2  Inbetweener Tom Whitaker
8-4 x 30 Hyper quad Tom Whitaker (wife's now)
8-4 X 31 1\4.  Round (wide) Diamond Tail Quad Tom Whitaker
 9-4 X 30 1\2. Swallow Stinger Quad Tom Whitaker (ex wifes now)
10-0 Brusurf for teach

seadart

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2018, 07:15:50 AM »
A Ranch Comando Surfing Tip:  If you find yourself on an SUP in high winds and you are not making headway just   kneel down,  all the way, , sit on your legs, Pochahantas style.  You then have a lower paddling profile than an SOT kayak.   You may look like a kook, but it works. 

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2018, 10:36:06 AM »
Kayacks are one thing (Low paddling profile). SUP is out of the question IMO. I spent 8 years on the Ranch and I'm here to tell you that unless the conditions are perfect ALL DAY that you will not have an enjoyable trip.

I agree with Tom...

Conditions are rarely perfect there...let alone all day...I've boated in for decades...scored it as good as it gets (no, I'm not posting pics or vids)...it's always an adventure...and, quite frankly, it's over-rated...;-)

Most people do not understand the kind of wind that we are talking about...the wind graph below was last week during the South swell...you can see for yourself how insane it gets...and, it can get waaaay more insane than that...

The Gaviota Pass where the launch is, is subject to the same winds...even more so, because they get funneled...furthermore, the first couple of miles heading west from the launch site have the most messed up and disturbed water conditions because the waves bouncing off of the steep cliffs cause reverbs and perturbations...additionally, when it's blowing trade winds at Point Conception...oftentimes, it will cause a Catalina Eddy to spin up creating terrible piss wind...chop...etc...so, neophytes set on standup paddling up to the lower Ranch with visons of sugar plums dancing in their heads of perfect uncrowded waves in oily glass conditions with smooth white sandy beaches...are going to have a wakeup call...they don't call it Razorblades for no reason...just saying...

« Last Edit: June 18, 2018, 11:09:41 AM by SUP Sports ® »
Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

Subber

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2018, 11:17:41 AM »
Gulp

Thanks for the realistic heads up Wardog.
Jimmy Lewis Black & Blue Noserider 10'1"x31"x4.25," 164 liters, 24 lbs, 1 box
Pearson Laird Surftech Longboard 10'6"x23"x29.75"x18"x4.375," 154 liters, 24 lbs, 3 boxes
Takayama Ali'i II Surftech 11'x21.375”x28.5”x17.25”x 4.25,” 162 liters, 26 lbs, 3 boxes

supsurf-tw

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2018, 05:55:53 AM »

More times than I can count I watched it go from sheet glass to howling offshore in a matter of minutes. Watched guys in boats from the comfort of my camper on the beach have a very hard time out there. I can't even imagine someone on a SUP.
Boards:

8-10 x 31 Egg
8-11 X 32 Double wing Fangtail Tom Whitaker
8-6 X 30 1\2  Inbetweener Tom Whitaker
8-4 x 30 Hyper quad Tom Whitaker (wife's now)
8-4 X 31 1\4.  Round (wide) Diamond Tail Quad Tom Whitaker
 9-4 X 30 1\2. Swallow Stinger Quad Tom Whitaker (ex wifes now)
10-0 Brusurf for teach

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2018, 08:51:47 PM »
I do believe this video has two surfers visiting The Ranch.
yup...they were at The Ranch and scored what might be the best day for two surfers ever...for $2000. This is a must see! Seriously one of the best. Very Endless Summer. I hadn't seen it in yrs and am stoked on the revisit. If you can get a hold of it. I watched it off a DVD from the library on my 36" Vizio, grabbing screenshots and quotes as I went along. It was fun to type out all the lines from the video.
Check it out in a Dropbox folder I gathered. kinda too much for a reply.
Best Hours Of The Day
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/k7kmsb1e4ohyz6j/AADNvGhusIpsnmm-oaLpPEjAa?dl=0

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000N33IVM?tag=viglink21584-20

"The adventure of surfing is rigorous. It requires the execution of psyically demanding feats that are not much use in the modern world. Yet they remain essential for our soul".

"Surfers have a great stretching routine that requires every muscle group.
it's called putting on a wetsuit".

« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 08:53:53 PM by surfercook »
One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"
9'11" PSH Hull Ripper-145 ltr    
9'3" PSH  Hull Ripper- 130ltr 
8'0" Corevac Assassin -127 ltr   
Paddles- Carbonerro PRO SERIES 85 & Riviera Camo at 70"

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2018, 11:09:04 AM »
A Ranch Comando Surfing Tip:  If you find yourself on an SUP in high winds and you are not making headway just   kneel down,  all the way, , sit on your legs, Pochahantas style.  You then have a lower paddling profile than an SOT kayak.   You may look like a kook, but it works.

...or paddle prone.

Conditions are rarely perfect there...let alone all day...I've boated in for decades...scored it as good as it gets (no, I'm not posting pics or vids)...it's always an adventure...and, quite frankly, it's over-rated...;-)

I know it's not always good there, but whenever I think of the Ranch this iconic image of Skip Frye pops into my head...
Pluto Platter: 7-10 x 29.25 x 4.25 x 114.5 liters

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2018, 11:25:57 AM »
Are there places along the 8.5 miles of the Ranch that you can pitch a tent without getting kicked out?

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2018, 11:32:58 AM »
I enjoyed that article. Very cool access to The Ranch is being pursued. It always seemed like such a magical and hidden place. I do believe this video has two surfers visiting The Ranch. I saw it yrs ago and when I read the article it immediately came to mind. I couldn't find any other info on the video except from the public library here in Ocean County, NJ ( where I first discovered it). I requested it once again and will check it out.

It is available on Amazon it seems.
https://www.amazon.com/Best-Hours-Day-Surfers-Journey/dp/B000N33IVM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1529209474&sr=8-1&keywords=Best+hours+of+the+day+a+surfers+journey

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mo5dwuN5Y5A

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2018, 11:45:25 AM »
Are there places along the 8.5 miles of the Ranch that you can pitch a tent without getting kicked out?

Sure...on a boat...wouldn't be fun in the wind, though...sometimes just getting a SUP in and out of a board bag on a boat is a major PITA...;-)
« Last Edit: June 28, 2018, 11:50:24 AM by SUP Sports ® »
Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal