Author Topic: Is foiling even related to SUP?  (Read 7292 times)

addapost

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Is foiling even related to SUP?
« on: June 16, 2018, 09:07:34 AM »
Is it me or is foiling even related to standup paddling? I don't even know what it is but it doesn't much look like stand up paddling to me. Does it even belong on this website at all? Or should there be a new one created just for foiling? Discuss. I'll be here with my asbestos suit on.
Bunch of old shit

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
Re: Is foiling even related to SUP?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2018, 10:12:53 AM »
Many are foiling on sup so I have to say yes, the subject does belong here on The Zone.
There's even an entire section on The Zone dedicated to foiling.
https://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/board,88.0.html

And if you haven't seen this video of Laird at A+ Chicama foiling definitely check it out! Foiling on a sup makes.good sense to him for sure.
https://youtu.be/43ja3q3jxTc
One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"
9'11" PSH Hull Ripper-145 ltr    
9'3" PSH  Hull Ripper- 130ltr 
8'0" Corevac Assassin -127 ltr   
Paddles- Carbonerro PRO SERIES 85 & Riviera Camo at 70"

supthecreek

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2018, 11:17:02 AM »
Don't know if I'll ever Foil or not, but it is fun to watch everyones excitement and experiences.
It is being discussed with humor and inclusion.
and with the stoke that SUP gives us all, so I am glad we have something exciting to discuss.
There are vids and pictures and lots of learning.... so yeah, I'm glad it's here.

What we need here are more NEW SUPster, asking questions and creating fresh discussion.
Now that we are old hands at this,  ;)  I enjoy helping people navigate SUP beginnings.

Thanks to all who participate with info, questions, fails and successes, plus all who post videos and pictures.
I like the beginner videos more than watching the Pros.... it reminds me of how we all got into this gig in the first place!  ;D ;D ;D

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2018, 11:29:38 AM »
I don’t think I will try to foil and although the prone foil guys seem to have the best platform, I’m sure it’s got a spot on the zone.

For me SUP is a continuation of my surfing and wih more sessions behind me then in front... and still trying to improve my surfing....that’s the priority, more surf.

But I will watch all your guys vids and will imagine how the magic carpet ride of the foil must feel.

Dialy

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2018, 11:39:12 AM »
If you are standing up on a board while paddling, aren't you stand up paddling?

Weasels wake

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2018, 03:00:01 PM »
Foiling is related to SUP as much as it is to prone surfing, tow-in surfing, wind surfing, kite surfing, and even sailing.
Attach a foil to any of those water crafts, and they instantly become related, you could even call it a marriage.
But wait, then there's this! 
It takes a quiver to do that.

addapost

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2018, 03:01:51 PM »
If you are standing up on a board while paddling, aren't you stand up paddling?
I guess so, but it just seems like some invisible line has been crossed and you're not SUPping once you get up on the foil, It LOOKS different
Bunch of old shit

addapost

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2018, 03:03:14 PM »
Foiling is related to SUP as much as it is to prone surfing, tow-in surfing, wind surfing, kite surfing, and even sailing.
Attach a foil to any of those water crafts, and they instantly become related, you could even call it a marriage.

Do you think the prone surf forums have a page for prone foil surfing?
Bunch of old shit

goodfornothin

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2018, 03:21:34 PM »
Yes, dailybread (kaiser1) i believe started a post at surfermag.com.

addapost

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2018, 03:25:36 PM »
Yes, dailybread (kaiser1) i believe started a post at surfermag.com.
OMG! They will KILL him! Foiling ain't gonna fly over there. No way
Bunch of old shit

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2018, 04:25:23 PM »
I consider it a SUP rooted sport since the good SUP paddlers were the early adopters. But I get the point. I don't call it surfing, I call it foiling. I don't think I surf anymore. At least not right now. The things I was trying to improve in when I was surfing are meaningless for foiling--or at least they aqre now.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

goodfornothin

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2018, 07:45:57 PM »
Its doing ok believe it or not, a few cool brobrahs have started doing it so its gently accepted.  But onky if you do it on a super cool 4'2 surfboard, haha.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2018, 02:37:16 AM »
Let's throw it off here. All the most popular posts are about foiling so I'm sure the foilzone will do great and the standupzone can go the way of  racing and the 500 SUP manufacturers we used to have.

Top non-foil SUZ posts of 2018:

Proner hurt my feelings, again

Hey guys, what board do I get for paddling on the lake behind my house?

First sesh on the lake behind my house (with 100 pics of the ducks there)!!

Visiting (name some place SUPs should never be) where can I rent 12' board to surf local breaks? - first timer

Seriously, why don't proners like me?

Now don't get all butt hurt, try to enjoy a laugh. I've posted all of these myself on here at one time or another in my SUP life. But really, without new topics, this place would get stale, fast. I think that this should be the waterzone and anything with a paddle or not should have a forum as m fascinated by OC-1, surfski, and all sorts of other things.

Bring it on. Trust me this will all die down like all the other SUP trends. Anyone wanna post about going smaller again?

I guess I should mention that I've only paddled my SUP 2 or 3 times in the last year but went out today and caught a ton of waves... to see if could still paddle and get ready to try foiling lol. But I loved it and am committed to paddling more this summer.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2018, 02:39:31 AM by surfcowboy »

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2018, 05:40:40 AM »
At my local, my concern is that foils will be prohibited from the crowded "designated surf spots" which in turn will make it easier for the individual municipalities to also prohibit "everything but prone boards" in one blanket ordinance.  (They tend to be lazy "one size fits all" legislators).

So, from that perspective, foiling is related or at least relevant in the discussion.

Weasels wake

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2018, 11:44:03 AM »

Do you think the prone surf forums have a page for prone foil surfing?
It's all over the place online, as for the prone approach, you don't even have to start with prone paddling once you get good at it, you can beach start.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_BqMUi-Axs
It takes a quiver to do that.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal