Author Topic: estimate blade size from a picture  (Read 4626 times)

CaptainKook

• Get up, stand up
  • Waikiki Status
  • こんにちは
    • View Profile
estimate blade size from a picture
« on: June 13, 2018, 10:52:59 PM »
I’m trying to estimate the area of a paddle blade from a picture .
The description says 36cm x 21cm , or  14” x 8” . 
I’m guessing 80 sq.in. ??
Anyone care to make a guesstimate . Thanks if u can.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 10:56:20 PM by CaptainKook »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: estimate blade size from a picture
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2018, 11:12:58 PM »
The eight inch dimension is probably usable, for the height you'd have to know what they are measuring. Blow the picture up as large as you can manage. Make a grid of eight evenly spaced lines across the paddle blade. Measure the width of one set of lines and use that to make a vertical grid. Count the full sized squares and average the partials, You'll be close.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 11:16:35 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

CaptainKook

• Get up, stand up
  • Waikiki Status
  • こんにちは
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2018, 11:23:06 PM »
Thanks so much PonoBill,

Yeah I’m worried where they start their length measurement from, maybe its the neck maybe not.  I will get on that measurement!

CaptainKook

• Get up, stand up
  • Waikiki Status
  • こんにちは
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2018, 11:53:33 PM »
I got about 75 sq. in.
If it was 80 or  85  I’d jump on it right away.

Next question , I mean can of worms  :P
Is 75 good enough for a 150 lb  beginner paddle surfer on a 9 foot foamy for surfing small waves?  Now I’m using a clunker 100  adjustable - plastic blade, alumi shaft.
I’m a decent paddler with kayak and canoe background.

Thx again all

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2018, 01:39:53 AM »
For a beginner, and for that application, blade size probably won’t matter too much, as long as it’s not ridiculously extreme. Some people really like small blades for surf anyway. Just make sure to dismantle and clean the paddle after each use, or it will eventually seize, and your adjustable won’t be.

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2018, 04:50:58 AM »
Is 75 good enough for a 150 lb  beginner paddle surfer on a 9 foot foamy for surfing small waves?  Now I’m using a clunker 100  adjustable - plastic blade, alumi shaft.

I'm close to your weight since I'm 5'8" tall and weigh 146 lbs. Before I got into standup paddle boarding, I was a kayaker for 13 years and my favorite sit on top kayak was an Ocean Kayak 14'9" SPTW (scupper pro tankwell), 26" wide (beam) and it weighed 55 lbs. I used a smaller paddle blade because of my light physical weight and my kayak paddle of choice was an all carbon Werner 220 small diameter shaft with neutral bent grip (75 degrees in 15 degrees adjustment for both right and left feather). This paddle was easy on my (back then) surgically repaired "left" shoulder (large bone spur removed in my left AC shoulder joint) in 2002.

Back to SUP. For my second SUP, I chose a Sup Sports Hammer at 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 liters which weighs (with all 5 fins installed) 19 lbs and I used an all carbon Werner Trance 85 paddle. Where I sup surf down at Surfside, TX; the waves are small since they average between 6 inches to 3 feet in height. My Hammer and Werner paddle did well for these wave heights. Click on the link below to see the forecasted wave heights for the next three days.

https://www.windfinder.com/weatherforecast/surfside_beach_freeport

I'm also including a link to Surfside where you can actually see the waves from the streaming webcam down at the beach at Surfside.

http://www.saltwater-recon.com/surfside-cam/

Fast forward. On March 29th of 2017, I had my "right" shoulder surgically repaired to remove a very large bone spur which had grown over decades and finally grew long and sharp  enough to cut 90% through my right rotator cuff. My right shoulder took 12 months to heal. Since my orthopedic surgeon repaired both my left and right shoulders and I"m right handed, he told me to sell my Werner Trance 85 sup paddle and go with a smaller blade size in square inches and he highly recommended a 75 paddle blade which he said would be easier on both of my surgically repaired shoulders for flat water paddling and sup surfing.

Since my surgeon is an outdoor type of sports person (archery, kayaking), I highly value his recommendation. So by necessity, I sold my Werner Trance 85 and bought a Naish Alana 75 small diameter adjustable paddle and I could immediately tell the difference between the 85 and 75 paddle blades when I take my 8'11" x 31" Hammer for a flat water paddling session. Much easier to get going from a standing start (not moving).

And this past February of 2018, I received my second and larger sup. A Sup Sports One World 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 liters which weighs (with all 5 fins installed) 23 lbs. I haven't taken my  One World down to Surfside, TX yet because for the last two months, we've had a high pressure dome of air settle over Texas and it just hasn't moved away from us. This dome of air raises the temperature to make it very hot high heat indexes. Yesterday's temperature was 97 degrees F which felt like 105 degrees F. But a high pressure dome of air also kills the wind so the waves down at Surfside have been 6 inch type of waves for almost two months so the waves down at Surfside resemble beach wash. Further out from the beach, the Gulf looks flat like a lake.

But there is a tropical disturbance in the lower Caribbean right now which is going to cross over the Yucatan peninsula and it will enter into the southern part of the Gulf of Mexico in the Bay of Campeche. This disturbance is going to send some nice waves up to the upper Texas coast where Surfside is and I'm going to take advantage of it and take my One World down to Surfside and sup surf with my 75 paddle. Based on my flat water lake paddling sessions with my Hammer and One World while using my 75 paddle, I'm 99% sure my 75 paddle will be just fine for my One World in it's first sup surfing session because of my light physical 146 lb weight.

So in closing, based on my 146 lb weight being close to your 150 lb weight along with sup surfing my 8'11' Hammer with my now sold Werner Trance 85 sup paddle, I can say a 75 paddle blade will be just fine for you for sup surfing a 9' long surfing sup.

Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2018, 06:01:29 AM »
I would agree with NW, that paddle size could be pretty optimal.

Reimann sums, nicely done PB!  Takes me back to that a-ha moment in calculus class, it was fleeting for sure...

CaptainKook

• Get up, stand up
  • Waikiki Status
  • こんにちは
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2018, 07:03:24 AM »

I'm close to your weight since I'm 5'8" tall and weigh 146 lbs. Before I got into standup paddle boarding, I was a kayaker for 13 years and my favorite sit on top kayak was an Ocean Kayak 14'9" SPTW (scupper pro tankwell), 26" wide (beam) and it weighed 55 lbs. I used a smaller paddle blade because of my light physical weight and my kayak paddle of choice was an all carbon Werner 220 small diameter shaft with neutral bent grip (75 degrees in 15 degrees adjustment for both right and left feather). This paddle was easy on my (back then) surgically repaired "left" shoulder (large bone spur removed in my left AC shoulder joint) in 2002.

Back to SUP. For my second SUP, I chose a Sup Sports Hammer at 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 liters which weighs (with all 5 fins installed) 19 lbs and I used an all carbon Werner Trance 85 paddle. Where I sup surf down at Surfside, TX; the waves are small since they average between 6 inches to 3 feet in height. My Hammer and Werner paddle did well for these wave heights. Click on the link below to see the forecasted wave heights for the next three days.

https://www.windfinder.com/weatherforecast/surfside_beach_freeport

I'm also including a link to Surfside where you can actually see the waves from the streaming webcam down at the beach at Surfside.

http://www.saltwater-recon.com/surfside-cam/

Fast forward. On March 29th of 2017, I had my "right" shoulder surgically repaired to remove a very large bone spur which had grown over decades and finally grew long and sharp  enough to cut 90% through my right rotator cuff. My right shoulder took 12 months to heal. Since my orthopedic surgeon repaired both my left and right shoulders and I"m right handed, he told me to sell my Werner Trance 85 sup paddle and go with a smaller blade size in square inches and he highly recommended a 75 paddle blade which he said would be easier on both of my surgically repaired shoulders for flat water paddling and sup surfing.

Since my surgeon is an outdoor type of sports person (archery, kayaking), I highly value his recommendation. So by necessity, I sold my Werner Trance 85 and bought a Naish Alana 75 small diameter adjustable paddle and I could immediately tell the difference between the 85 and 75 paddle blades when I take my 8'11" x 31" Hammer for a flat water paddling session. Much easier to get going from a standing start (not moving).

And this past February of 2018, I received my second and larger sup. A Sup Sports One World 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 liters which weighs (with all 5 fins installed) 23 lbs. I haven't taken my  One World down to Surfside, TX yet because for the last two months, we've had a high pressure dome of air settle over Texas and it just hasn't moved away from us. This dome of air raises the temperature to make it very hot high heat indexes. Yesterday's temperature was 97 degrees F which felt like 105 degrees F. But a high pressure dome of air also kills the wind so the waves down at Surfside have been 6 inch type of waves for almost two months so the waves down at Surfside resemble beach wash. Further out from the beach, the Gulf looks flat like a lake.

But there is a tropical disturbance in the lower Caribbean right now which is going to cross over the Yucatan peninsula and it will enter into the southern part of the Gulf of Mexico in the Bay of Campeche. This disturbance is going to send some nice waves up to the upper Texas coast where Surfside is and I'm going to take advantage of it and take my One World down to Surfside and sup surf with my 75 paddle. Based on my flat water lake paddling sessions with my Hammer and One World while using my 75 paddle, I'm 99% sure my 75 paddle will be just fine for my One World in it's first sup surfing session because of my light physical 146 lb weight.

So in closing, based on my 146 lb weight being close to your 150 lb weight along with sup surfing my 8'11' Hammer with my now sold Werner Trance 85 sup paddle, I can say a 75 paddle blade will be just fine for you for sup surfing a 9' long surfing sup.

Hi Night Wing,

Thanks for your reply. Very glad to hear both shoulders are back in working order, and you’ll be surfing soon.man that’s rough.  I had a minor shoulder injury from prone surfing 2 years ago, that took many months to heal, just overdoing it with rookie enthusiasm.  One of the reasons I went more for SUP now. 

I used to sea kayak the NYC / Hudson , Jersey shore area with a Aquaterra Sea Lion eskimo style 17’ . I think it was 21” wide and 70lbs. Loved that boat.  Me to with the favorite paddle was a Werner Arctic Wind eskimo style  thin blade , was my go to paddle for almost any conditions and yes much less fatigue. Backup was a Perception takapart that mostly stayed on the rear deck.  Also had a WW kayak, Freefall or something cant remember :(

I started SUP last year with a Perception Jetty 9x28 and this year got a 9x32 foamy . Diamond Head brand 😝seems to be only here and of course overpriced but hey. (And Btw I did get it on the roofracks anyway )BIG difference in stability and grabbing the waves.  I hit the Sea of Japan coast because its fairly close at one and a half hours of usually pleasant driving, no traffic, small roads mostly.  The famous Japan surf is on the Pacific side but thats farther in the opposite direction and crowded , no thanks.  I try to go out on weekends when its 3 foot or better but less than 6 foot. Last weekend it was 4.5 and really good for me. I dont know how to describe the usual wave conditions , but I’d say they’re definitely not the cleanly spaced rollers that can be seen clearly coming in formation. Its a swell that suddenly turns into a nice looking wave, fast moving and fast breaking.
But they’re catchable and its all sandy bottom. Don’t know how to get the wave forecast but heres the location. Love this area.

https://www.windfinder.com/#12/35.6566/134.9444/rain

And some beach cams , on the right close to the map
If u see lights at night its the squid fleet, haha.

http://www.city.kyotango.lg.jp/top/soshiki/somu/johosuisin/2/1744.html

We get the same kind of summer highs as you, that turn the Sea of Japan side into a lake, while the pacific side has better , stronger rollers.

The main thing about the 75 that has me concerned is paddling out on my knees in the rough. Last weekend it was pretty tough at the shorebreak and I needed every inch of that 100 clunker blade to punch through and get out. But then again I could have gone 100 yards left or  right down the beach and it would have been a little easier but longer to get out.  I think once out there the 75 and a higher stroke cadence in the surf will be ok.  And when on flat water the 100 clunker becomes a real beast after a mile or so.  Probly will go for the 75.

This weekend is looking good with 4 foot on Sat and 2-3 Sun, might try to do both days.

Thanks again and enjoyed the links to the cams and forecast , will be checking them, hope some more lows roll in for you.

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2018, 07:28:33 AM »
Hi CaptainKook,

I am not a surfer so I’m not sure if this is applicable to you. But I am 5’ 8” and 150 pounds, so our weight is almost identical. I’m using a  ZRE paddle with a 75 sq. inch blade and love it. I started out with a much larger blade, then went to the Werner Trance 85 sq. inch and as mentioned am now using the ZRE  at 75 sq. inches. It’s a great paddle, and the blade size is just about right for me.
Infinity Blackfish 12’ 6” x 23”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
Infinity Whiplash 12' 6" x 24 1/2"
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”
Bark Competitor 12’ 6” x 29”
Red Paddle Explorer (Inflatable) 13' 2" x 30
Starboard Airline (Inflatable) 12’ 6” x 27

jrandy

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2018, 07:36:42 AM »
If the 8" wide dimension is correct and the picture is not overly 'tipped',
Bring the picture into CAD, scale to 8" wide, drop in a grid or trace to make an inquiry
         LWPOLYLINE  Layer: "0"
                            Space: Model space
                   Color: 5 (blue)    Linetype: "BYLAYER"
                   Handle = 2e2
            Closed
    Constant width    0.0000
              area   81.9053
         perimeter   37.3594

So 75-80 sqin is plausible depending how high up the handle you consider 'blade'.
http://pushheretosavealife.com/
Be safe, have fun. -J

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2018, 07:51:20 AM »
The main thing about the 75 that has me concerned is paddling out on my knees in the rough. Last weekend it was pretty tough at the shorebreak and I needed every inch of that 100 clunker blade to punch through and get out. But then again I could have gone 100 yards left or  right down the beach and it would have been a little easier but longer to get out.  I think once out there the 75 and a higher stroke cadence in the surf will be ok.  And when on flat water the 100 clunker becomes a real beast after a mile or so.  Probly will go for the 75.

If you have some heavy shore break and you're having trouble "punching through to get out" because you're on your knees when the water is rough, then don't use this method to get out. Try punching through to get out by using a "surfing stance".

I use a surfing stance when I encounter some large shore break and/or large waves when I want to get out. Look at the video below and I think this should solve your problem with the heavy and large shore break and/or waves you encounter when paddling out from the beach. The "surfing stance" method in the video below will work well with a 75.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4ZTjSUjJWs
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 07:53:40 AM by Night Wing »
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

CaptainKook

• Get up, stand up
  • Waikiki Status
  • こんにちは
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2018, 07:54:02 AM »
Hi CaptainKook,

I am not a surfer so I’m not sure if this is applicable to you. But I am 5’ 8” and 150 pounds, so our weight is almost identical. I’m using a  ZRE paddle with a 75 sq. inch blade and love it. I started out with a much larger blade, then went to the Werner Trance 85 sq. inch and as mentioned am now using the ZRE  at 75 sq. inches. It’s a great paddle, and the blade size is just about right for me.

And another vote for the 75, thank you Quickbeam. It will def get use on aside from small waves as well!

CaptainKook

• Get up, stand up
  • Waikiki Status
  • こんにちは
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2018, 07:58:20 AM »
If the 8" wide dimension is correct and the picture is not overly 'tipped',
Bring the picture into CAD, scale to 8" wide, drop in a grid or trace to make an inquiry
         LWPOLYLINE  Layer: "0"
                            Space: Model space
                   Color: 5 (blue)    Linetype: "BYLAYER"
                   Handle = 2e2
            Closed
    Constant width    0.0000
              area   81.9053
         perimeter   37.3594

So 75-80 sqin is plausible depending how high up the handle you consider 'blade'.

Wow jrandy! Between u and Bill I am blown away. Don’t know what to say but thank you. Making it easy for me.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2018, 08:49:49 AM »
LOL....beat me to it Jrandy….. :)

Hey Bill isn't it time you learned some CAD? 3D printers all over, designing/machining aluminum parts and the best you got is draw a grid a measure.... ::)….don't forget your French curves and slide rule while you're at it..... ;)
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

jrandy

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2018, 11:50:03 AM »
LOL....beat me to it Jrandy….. :)

Hey Bill isn't it time you learned some CAD? 3D printers all over, designing/machining aluminum parts and the best you got is draw a grid a measure.... ::)….don't forget your French curves and slide rule while you're at it..... ;)

No worries. It was coffee break time at work. Ironically enough, I have built myself a 3 foot (.98m) long french curve to see it it could be done and another buddy wanted a 4' foot (1.22m) long for laying out surfboards. I still have a t-square, parallel rule, table, trammel compass, slide rule...
http://pushheretosavealife.com/
Be safe, have fun. -J

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal