Author Topic: Video: My first time foil surfing and what I learned  (Read 2286 times)

Evan Lloyd

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Video: My first time foil surfing and what I learned
« on: June 13, 2018, 08:22:08 PM »
After a bit of success behind the boat, I drove out to Southern California and tried surfing in some small mushy waves.  It is way harder than I thought, but so much fun.  I shot a little video showing what I learned. I'm figuring it out, but I'm a long way from being comfortable flying. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9TaXwd5-l4

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Video: My first time foil surfing and what I learned
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2018, 10:16:12 PM »
Thx for this man. Good tips. I'm hoping for some boat time but if I can't line it up with the foil getting done I may just go "full Beasho " and paddle it around for a while and see how it goes. I can see how it's a whole other game on a wave for sure.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2018, 10:50:48 PM »
Good job. You did very well for that number of sessions. I'm sure the boat helped you, but I barely got into the air before my fifth or sixth session, and couldn't really fly the board before probably session ten. It's totally addictive. You'll be jonesing for waves until you go again.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

supthecreek

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2018, 07:43:02 AM »
Evan, you are like a savant or something..... it's not suppose to be as easy as you make it look  ;D

Good vid with excellent comments.... keep them coming!

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2018, 09:02:29 AM »
Evan, your vids are so relatable, especially to this group (and this guy in particular).  Dogpatch is where I spend most of my water time, and I have talked to a few of the foiling regulars about the learning curve.  You made it look doable... which I know to be both clever editing and witchcraft  ;D.

I've resigned myself to trying it as soon as some shop or person sets up a rental option that includes the helmet. Until then, I'll be watching from afar, and talking about it on dry land.

IRideYellow

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2018, 10:37:46 AM »
Evan, you should let us zoners in SC know when and where you are foiling so we can come watch. 
Starboard WidePoint 8'10, Sunova 8'10 Speeed (Sold), Wardog  7'10 Jammer,  L41 8'8 S3 (sold), Naish Mana 10 (sold), 3 Wavestorm 9'6

Evan Lloyd

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2018, 11:14:24 AM »
Evan, your vids are so relatable, especially to this group (and this guy in particular).  Dogpatch is where I spend most of my water time, and I have talked to a few of the foiling regulars about the learning curve.  You made it look doable... which I know to be both clever editing and witchcraft  ;D.

I've resigned myself to trying it as soon as some shop or person sets up a rental option that includes the helmet. Until then, I'll be watching from afar, and talking about it on dry land.

Its all witch craft.   ;D

Evan Lloyd

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2018, 11:18:36 AM »
Evan, you should let us zoners in SC know when and where you are foiling so we can come watch.

That is a bit tricky.  My wife runs a summer camp in Soquel and she and the kids are there all summer.  This is one of the only times all summer I get to hang out with them, so technically its a family weekend.  I'm going to sneak in a couple sessions wherever I can find the time, but there is no way I can say "I'm going to be at this beach at this time."  That said, I'll probably hit the beaches south of town and then that spot about 9 miles north of town.  (I don't mind naming spots, but some people get pissed when you do - soooooo). 

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2018, 12:09:23 PM »
Surprised I didn't see you out there Evan, but nonetheless that was some real good first time surf foiling. Unless this....
....is really how you did it.  ;) ;D

Quote from: SlatchJim link=topic=33629.msg380140#msg380140 date=1528992149
I have a Takuma foil, and board you're more than welcome to try...but would definitely recommend a helmet with this submersible aluminum hatchet, and I'm fresh out of helmets at this time.  :)
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 12:15:03 PM by SanoSup »
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal