Author Topic: SUP Foiling/Surfing in San Diego area  (Read 10839 times)

seadart

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Re: SUP Foiling/Surfing in San Diego area
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2018, 04:01:42 PM »
North of Moonlight Beach will be crowded on a summer weekend.  Moonlight is THE BEACH for the Encinitas community.  Always people in the water up to Stone Steps in the summer. 

Best to stick to San Onofre.  Otherwise you can scout waves and park along the Coast Highway and see spots where there are not other surfers out, but the best surf breaks on a summer weekend are going to be really crowded and not the place to be if you have never surfed the foil before.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2018, 04:07:45 PM by seadart »

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2018, 06:46:06 PM »
Surfercook. Some of my favorite SD spots are pretty tricky to get down to.  I can't imagine trying to get down to some of them with a foil strapped to the board.
Cool! Good luck. Those glassy slow rollers will be perfect...if there's not too much size! Moonlight is a full on beach access. No stairs or cliffs. It was funny because when I got there it reminded me exactly of our beaches here in NJ.
This facebook video was at Moonlight but the weather was SO bad. It also reminded me of here! It was a really bad storm though and there was actually a death from it. Some lady got nailed by a falling tree when she was in her car.
Cali-cane
https://www.facebook.com/marc.halikas.3/videos/10153940753812682/?l=3559834948157330705
One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"
9'11" PSH Hull Ripper-145 ltr    
9'3" PSH  Hull Ripper- 130ltr 
8'0" Corevac Assassin -127 ltr   
Paddles- Carbonerro PRO SERIES 85 & Riviera Camo at 70"

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2018, 06:46:56 PM »
Surfercook. Some of my favorite SD spots are pretty tricky to get down to.  I can't imagine trying to get down to some of them with a foil strapped to the board.

Cool! Good luck. Those glassy slow rollers will be perfect...if there's not too much size! Moonlight is a full on beach access. No stairs or cliffs. It was funny because when I got there it reminded me exactly of our beaches here in NJ.
This facebook video was at Moonlight but the weather was SO bad. It also reminded me of here! It was a really bad storm though and there was actually a death from it. Some lady got nailed by a falling tree when she was in her car.
Cali-cane
https://www.facebook.com/marc.halikas.3/videos/10153940753812682/?l=3559834948157330705
One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2018, 06:47:32 PM »

Cali-cane

digger71

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2018, 09:54:30 PM »
Surfercook.  I'm coming to San Diego specifically to learn how to foil surf.  This will be my first session in the ocean.  I'm super excited, but I need to find a break that is far away from people and has a somewhat reasonable entry into the water.  Some of my favorite SD spots are pretty tricky to get down to.  I can't imagine trying to get down to some of them with a foil strapped to the board.  We shall see.

If you are in SD and looking to get away, park at Torrey Pines State Beach and paddle south.  You'll have more than a mile of empty surf.  Mostly beach break but also some reef/structure about 1/2 mile down - Flat Rock where the steps come down to the beach.

Evan Lloyd

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2018, 11:56:45 AM »
Surfercook.  I'm coming to San Diego specifically to learn how to foil surf.  This will be my first session in the ocean.  I'm super excited, but I need to find a break that is far away from people and has a somewhat reasonable entry into the water.  Some of my favorite SD spots are pretty tricky to get down to.  I can't imagine trying to get down to some of them with a foil strapped to the board.  We shall see.

The swell came up and this spot got rocking. Awesome for standup, way too strong for foiling. Not a good spot to learn when it’s pumping.
If you are in SD and looking to get away, park at Torrey Pines State Beach and paddle south.  You'll have more than a mile of empty surf.  Mostly beach break but also some reef/structure about 1/2 mile down - Flat Rock where the steps come down to the beach.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal