Author Topic: Surfline Foiling Article  (Read 3798 times)

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
Surfline Foiling Article
« on: June 12, 2018, 04:05:54 PM »
Somebody commented this shouldn't be on Surfline. Seems like good advice to me.

https://www.surfline.com/surf-news/hydrofoil-surfing-expect-not-die-first-session/27446
One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"
9'11" PSH Hull Ripper-145 ltr    
9'3" PSH  Hull Ripper- 130ltr 
8'0" Corevac Assassin -127 ltr   
Paddles- Carbonerro PRO SERIES 85 & Riviera Camo at 70"

Evan Lloyd

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: Surfline Foiling Article
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2018, 07:55:26 AM »
I just spent a weekend near San Diego.  It was my first time riding waves with the foil.  It was not pretty and I have the bruises to prove it.  Generally, I think surfers are a$$holes who don't like anyone or anything in the lineup except shortboards.  In this case, I agree with them about foils.  They are very dangerous, difficult to control (while learning) and unpredictable (while learning).  I made sure I didn't have anyone within 100 yards of where I was and as I continue to learn, I will stay as far away from others as possible.  I can surf a foil on a speed bump, I don't need to be in a lineup. 

That said - foiling really really fun!  I am enjoying the learning curve and can't wait to break this horse so she stops bucking me off.  Giddy up!

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2018, 10:43:29 AM »
Right on, Evan. Thanx for sharing your experiences on schooling a foil. Sad that surfers can be so @sshole-ish. Are you using helmet or impact vest? I'm seriously considering both before I get on a foil.
One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2018, 10:59:25 AM »
maybe a goalie mask
RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

Evan Lloyd

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2018, 02:04:54 PM »
Right on, Evan. Thanx for sharing your experiences on schooling a foil. Sad that surfers can be so @sshole-ish. Are you using helmet or impact vest? I'm seriously considering both before I get on a foil.

I am just about to upload a video where I talk about this stuff.  Yes- I use an impact vest.  I've fallen onto the rail of the board several times and the vest has probably saved me from breaking my ribs.  Also the falls are from much greater heights.  Even on a 2 foot wave, you're looking at a 4 foot fall if you're at full mast. 

I wish I would have brought a helmet as well, but I left it at home in AZ.  A few times I got my bell rung.  Not exactly NFL style, but enough where I thought to myself "damn I wish I had my helmet."  I'll openly admit that I'm embarrassed to wear a helmet in the surf because you look like a dork, but I'm currently working with a therapist to resolve these issues.  Lol. 

I don't know about the full faced - hockey-style helmets.  When I go down I automatically cover my head and face with my arms - as if someone yelled out "grenade".  I wouldn't think less of anyone that used any protective gear they thought was necessary to stay safe.  In the video you will see the giant bruises on my legs from when I came down funny on the board.  Learning to foil is a combat sport.  It really reminds me of the rodeo, and those bull riders are all wearing helmets and impact vests so maybe we should too.   

Hope this helps. Remember, I'm just a kook from AZ so always get a second opinion. 

Newps

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2018, 03:09:40 PM »
Hate to say it but a lot of the good surfers in line up are frick'in a-holes.  It does not matter what you are riding.  If they can figure out a way to remove you from the line up so that they get more waves they will.  They don't understand that once you open the door to city, state or federal involvement everyone is in jeopardy to be policed and restricked.  We all can regulate the lineup just fine.  If there is someone doing something dangerious then we all need to speak up.  Same is true if someone is harassed by an a-hole.  Everyone is welcome in the line up.  It does not matter what you ride.  An longboard asshat who won't wear a leash at Blackie's in Newport is way more dangerious.  Watching that 50lb log bounce to the inside and wipe out a bunch tourists is ridiculous. 
L41 SIMSUP S4 - 7'4" x 30 1/4" x 4 1/2" 112L
L41 SIMSUP S5 - 7'6" x 27 1/2" x 4 3/16" 106L
L41 SIMSUP S4 - 7'8" x 31"x 4 1/2" 122L - Modded w/ a King's TUT Tuttle box and using a King's foil.
L41 SIMSUP S4 - 7'10" x 30 1/4" x 4 1/2" 120L
Starboard Whopper - 10' x 34" x 4 1/3" 171L - w/ FCS GL-1 fins

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2018, 06:18:26 PM »
Yes- I use an impact vest.  I've fallen onto the rail of the board several times and the vest has probably saved me from breaking my ribs. I wish I would have brought a helmet as well, a few times I got my bell rung. I'll openly admit that I'm embarrassed to wear a helmet in the surf because you look like a dork, but I'm currently working with a therapist to resolve these issues.  Lol. 
   Hope this helps. Remember, I'm just a kook from AZ so always get a second opinion.

Vest and helmet it is! I was lol about the therapy! You absolutely did help, "AZ Kook"!  :-* :P

Hate to say it but a lot of the good surfers in line up are frick'in a-holes.
Strong words of truth. Your testimony rings solid. Reminds of this video I saw a while back.
https://youtu.be/PfB99em0OV0

RATbeachrider

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2018, 06:43:49 PM »
It was like riding on ice with a bowling ball.  Glad I had the helmet (bought two years ago when I'd a nasty concussion from a rail slam to the head surfing 1 foot wave ... that's correct ... a one foot wave) and the impact vest recently purchased knowing that I'm going to try foiling.  I'm ditching the SUP foil and will now learning this on a prone foil board.  One less piece of equipment, the paddle, to worry about.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2018, 07:00:44 PM »
A comment made by someone on my instagram said...

Look at snowboarders. In the beginning it wasn’t cool to wear helmets. Today they all wear one.

Some sports just need them.  I think foiling is likely to go the way of snowboarding.

It will take a lot more injuries to get to that point.

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2018, 07:51:06 PM »
Very cool, RAT and DW. Exactly what helmet and vest are we talking about? Gath helmet I assume. Gotta be uncomfortable wearing a helmet in the surf.
RAT- What's a concussion feel like?

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2018, 08:19:55 PM »
I'm going to rock a full face Moro x helmet to start behind the boat just too much flying around to not. I'll probably move down to a skate/box bike helmet after that.

Check Target and Walmart, most of those now just have EPS foam in them (sealed) so they should be fine for a good long while. I'll post up my experience.

Evan, I feel ya about looking kooky but the other side of the full face is that no one knows it's you. ;)

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2018, 09:00:34 PM »
Seeing another guy out with a similar one, I wore this helmet w/mask for a few sessions...

...but was really uncomfortable with it feeling almost claustrophobic, and my center of gravity seemed odd when just moving my head was moving the board/foil, and just couldn't deal with it, and went with a Shelta hat with hard plastic inner bill for a false sense of security that the bill would hit something before my face did (yeah, I know...but I'm not the brightest at times :-[).

« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 09:02:12 PM by SanoSup »
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2018, 10:39:25 PM »
I haven't found a helmet I can tolerate--they screw with my balance by holding water in my ear. I'll probably have to whack one up a bit. Impact vests are great. Saved my bacon several times already. My doc told me a couple of years ago that if I got hit in the breastbone again it would probably fold in half. He might have been exaggerating, but maybe not. Good poker face.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2018, 11:34:05 PM »
On the embarrassment front, if  sufficiently far away from others during the awkward age, then no one will really see you, and you will save face, literally.
RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2018, 03:47:30 AM »
I wore the NP pride water sports helmet for awhile. Ear flaps cut off the helmet. Eventually I felt the helmet mass was too much. Some high speed impacts while kite foiling made my neck sore.

So I bit the bullet and ordered the over priced Gath, that is actually designed for surfing. It was a huge improvement, mass reduction wise. Easier to dive under waves. No neck snapping on high speed impacts. I had buy the XL. They run small. If I still had a full head of hair, they would never fit.

« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 03:52:14 AM by Dwight (DW) »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal